Sensata klixon rocker switch group buy?

rogerl

Anyone interested in getting together to order a bunch of the elusive mooney rocker switches?  This is what I would consider ideal:

> Application - 70's Mooney aircraft
> Flush mount
> Translucent smooth actuator
> 20TC4 series
>
> sensata klixon rocker switch SR12507-156-
> 1 Lndg Light 20 Amps
> 2 Nav Light 5 Amps
> 3 Anti Collision Light 10 Amps
> 4 Pitot Heat 10 Amps
> 5 Boost Pump 10 Amps
> 8 Strobe Light 10 Amps
> 18 Radio Master 3 Amps

And here's the quote:

hello Roger,

I do not stock these units - each would have a 5 piece minimum order and a complete part # would be as follows:

20TC4-BB-20-SR12507-156-1 woulb the Landing Light, the Nav Light would be 20TC4-BB-5-SR12507-156-2 and so on.

The lead time is 8 / 10 weeks ARO - $155.00 each

Thank you,
Jim Finegan
Flame Enterprises
ph - 301-668-0636, fx - 301-668-0638
jim@flamecorp.com
70 Thomas Johnson Dr
Suite 122
Frederick MD 21702

Does he need 5 of any given part number or just 5 rockers to make it worth the setup of any mix.  I had two made for the Aspen PFD and MFD in my 201 and am not real happy with them.  Nothing functionally wrong, but they are rounded and don't completely seat the way the originals do against the panel.  I'd like to see a picture of a sample of the finished product to see if they're better than what was made for my panel (the two done for me are not translucent either). 

The specs can be found here:

http://www.flamecorp.com/Catalogs/Sensata_CB/pdf/SENSATA%20CIRCUIT%20BREAKERS.pdf

On page 45

It is my impression from his email that it's 5 of EACH; those printed parts (translucent covers) are probably the 'custom' part.  I'll double check, and I'll also see if they might be either a lot cheaper or smaller lots if the custom covers aren't part of the deal - most of us probably already have the covers, and I think they are snap-on covers.  I know one of my covers broke in two, and upon examination they have plastic hooks (u-shaped) things that fasten it onto the base rocker switch.  Now I'm not sure about getting them off without buggering a switch up ... given the age it might not work out.   Possibly getting them in unmarked lots would be the way to go - will report back early next week.

I think the strobe cb in sensata/klixon lingo would be

20TC4-BB-20-SR12507-156-8

For what it is worth I just ordered  all new switches directly from Mooney for:

Bat Master
Avionics Master
Strobe
Landing Light
Nav Lights
Pitot Heat
Boost Pump
Pulse-Light

The were $168-$180 per switch.  Much better than me or my avionics shop anticipated.  I also ordered a new gear switch from them for $190.

I couple of the switches were on backorder and I won't have them for about 8 weeks.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

OK...so to prevent this falling through the cracks... I'll try to coordinate.  Anyone interested, please send me a PM with which ones you are interested in.  I won't go off of the previous interest stated because I don't know if anyone has found what they needed through alternate means.  If we get to 5, in any one category I'll ask you to send the money by paypal and I'll submit the purchase.  That way I'm not holding cash for people until we're ready to buy.  I'll periodically post count to this thread so we can see how close we are toward each category of switch.

Dave Castor

• Like 2

The switches are a standard part. The covers are simi-custom and need to be ordered in a minimum quantity.

Everyone wants Mooney to stay in business, but it seems nobody wants to do business with Mooney. If Mooney doesn't have any in stock it is probably because they can't justify buying the minimum quantity so most of them can sit on the shelf for years. They would probably love to have some to sell you, but can't afford to spend a few thousand dollars to sell a few hundred dollars of switch covers.

If they could help with this deal and not cost them any money, perhaps they would give us a discount and end up with some inventory they could sell in the future.

• Like 1

If they could help with this deal and not cost them any money, perhaps they would give us a discount and end up with some inventory they could sell in the future.

It seems to me that any deal where Mooney ends up with inventory would require them to make some investment...I'd like to see Mooney stay in business as well, but I'm not willing to fund their operation if we can get the needed parts direct from the supplier.

Dave

I contacted flame enterprises...they said that the price quoted before is no longer valid.  He is checking on a new price for us.  Also checking to see if we can get only the switch covers.  Aircraft Engravers can do custom engraving on just the covers.  I'll get a price quote from them if the covers are available separately.

Dave

• Like 2

I contacted flame enterprises...they said that the price quoted before is no longer valid.  He is checking on a new price for us.  Also checking to see if we can get only the switch covers.  Aircraft Engravers can do custom engraving on just the covers.  I'll get a price quote from them if the covers are available separately.

Dave

I need one, so let me know when you learn something.  thanks

I found a source for these switches with blank covers...the link below is the 3 amp version so would be appropriate for Radio Master.  They also carry the 5 amp translucent version, but 10 amp, is only available in white, serrated.

I also found a product on shapeways that is the actuator switch only.  These covers were serrated, not smooth.  I asked him if he'd be willing to share his design with me so I could modify them to be smooth.  They could be printed with indentation for text already on them.  They wouldn't exactly match original, but at less than $10 you could change all your operators out if you wanted to.  Not sure about the legality of this, solution so might ask an A&P before you buy.  I am thinking that because they are just friction fit on...one could make they case these are not installed parts.  Also, if you give me guidance on what you are looking for...one could argue these are owner produced parts.

Dave C

Is there a source for just the switches with blank covers? Can you swap your existing engraved cover to a new switch?

Larry,

You could do this easily, but need to make sure that the new switch matches the rating of the old item.  If you want to buy a switch from the link I posted above, I'm sure someone would be happy to subsidize your purchase by taking the blanks off your hands.  I'd take two of the blank covers if the price is right.

Dave