West Houston Airport Aerial

BigAl

11 hours ago, M20Doc said:

That looks like a lot of work to clean up the mess.  Do you have a basement as well?

Clarence

This is Texas Clarence. We hardly know what the word means. Nobody has a basement; a storm cellar maybe. :) 

Looks like West Houston water was down enough yesterday to get in and start checking things.  :Looks like Operation Airdrop on Facebook is the place to check if you want to fly.

I am overwhelmed by the response.  San Antonio Papa Johns is cooking pizzas for all the small towns. Looks like the W&B information for a pizza is 2 Lbs.  Right? Who knew?

What is awesome. Tonight like all nights for the last week + is all the Texans and surrounding states are planning the missions to help tomorrow. Pappa John's in San Antonio is cooking 1000s of pizzas for private pilots to deliver to the coast for people who have been eating meals ready to eat. People are sorting things, stackers are stacking, loaders are loading, Drivers are driving things. Other teams of high schoolers are resting up to pull sheet rock. Churches are cooking meals for those in need. Tomorrow people will spring into action and help those who need it. Best thing I saw written was by a homeowner who said "Don't ask where you can help. Most people are still in shell shock. Just jump in and start doing.
#wegotthis

• Like 3

Jim Rice, N10EX...  Mooney makes the USAToday the right way!  :)

https://usat.ly/2gynvhZ

Way to go Jim and everyone else like Jim that did and didn't get named or photographed.

Jim is currently flying between Houston and Georgetown....

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N10EX

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

Jim Rice, N10EX...  Mooney makes the USAToday the right way!  :)

https://usat.ly/2gynvhZ

Way to go Jim and everyone else like Jim that did and didn't get named or photographed.

Jim is currently flying between Houston and Georgetown....

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N10EX

Best regards,

-a-

What a fantastic story.  God speed to all those been hit by this and way to go GA 

So the chain started last night with a Facebook post about there was a need for food in the some of the places that were hit hard by Harvey along the Texas Gulf Coast. A flight to San Antonio International and a short conversation about where would be best. Bay City Texas was chosen because it seemed the most cutoff. There was a mini van full of pizza in San Antonio. We weighed a bag 5 pizza to a bag and 11ish pound per bag. We were able to get 13 bags in the plane. About a 50 minute flight to Bay City where the Airport Manager took the pizza into town. Huge shout out to the #Pappajohn Family and the family of franchise owners in San Antonio. The Airport Manager said "It was the first hot meal they had in awhile"

A Bonanza brought in another load.

pappajohn.jpg

pappajohnjay.jpg

• Like 5

I flew a load from Georgetown to West Houston this morning, and there are two other J's at the same time. Also following along was the B-25 Devil Dog! What a great display of people working together. We got the easy and fun part for sure, and I was glad I came down to help. KGTU was running like a well oiled machine receiving, processing, packing and loading the never-ending supply of donations. It sure was great to see so many people helping, and so much happiness on the receiving end.

West Houston is a mess. Coming from the west it didn't look terrible, and then BAM, water everywhere just east of the airport. I'm sure it got worse going further east. Even after a week

I'm exhausted now after 13-14 hours of flying this weekend in many legs, but I'm sure it is nothing compared to what many are feeling as they try to get back on their feet. There will be an ongoing need for support for a long time, so consider helping if you can!

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 7

You guys ARE the Best!

It is great to see what Mooney pilots are capable of.

I have seen transport of a few different things via Mooneys over the years...

• Dogs
  • patients 
  • doctors
  • veterans
  • food, water, supplies...
  • water treatment systems to the islands
  • Pizza!

Go Papa John's!

Thanks for sharing,

-a-

• Like 1

Prior to pizza deliver boy, I was able to rehone my boat skills.  This all started a week ago when we were on vacation in Crested Butte CO.  We saw that water was predicted to go around the end of Addicks Dam.  We have a house outside of the pool area.   I have always told my wife if it comes around the end of the dam all bets are off. We packed up in and hour and left at 5pm and drove through the night to Brenham.   I realized then there were not enough boats in Houston.  I found a beater boat in College Station and went and purchased it.  It got used for 2 days then the boat got left in one neighborhood with another captain for a day while I recovered a bit.  Then we used it to grab stuff from another friends house.

WAPFlying.jpg

• Like 2

Communities in East Texas are still hurting.  So time to launch and move some supplies.  Talking with one of the guys he said the River was 7 miles wide.  The government is trying to take care of Beaumont, but the small communities are getting left out. And who says a Mooney is small can can't haul a load

Loaded up with about 450 lbs to head down to Rockport in the morning.  Rockport took the brunt of the storm and is about 90 % wiped out.

Mooneyload.jpg

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

I think you are thinking of Rockwall. If you Google Map Rockville, it flips you to Rockwall.

You are correct, my Google skills are strong, my ability to read on the other hand is lacking

• 3 months later...