Flying to UNV for a game

N6758N

Planning on flying into state college, PA (KUNV) for the battle of the state game on Sep 9th. I've heard IFR slots are first come first serve, not sure about VFR flying/parking. Anyone ever done this before? I've been to many a game at Beaver stadium and I have flown into the airport before, but never on game day. Thanks in advance! We are Penn State!

Local airports on game day are always interesting. I would call the FBO and ask about parking. I flew to Indy for the Big 10 championship game two years ago (Iowa / Mich State) and that was an eye opener. The put me in a hold, in IMC, and told me to expect clearance to land in 30 minutes. Turned out it was about half that but crazy busy nonetheless. They moved most of the airplanes to a remote parking area and I suspect the same will happen at UNV. We all know the risk of damaging the nose gear if this is done incorrectly so I made sure the ramp crew was aware of it, and they were.

I went to Clemson last year, no problems except parking, I'd check the fbo to see what and if a spot could be reserved, or is it first come first served? Some fbos charge higher fees and fuel charges on game weekends. Have a great time, the lions are to be great this yr.

• Like 1