1980 m20K "vent" at bottom of center console

N231SM

Hello,

This may not be a new topic, but we are new and will stick with that excuse. 

At the bottom of my center console at the floor, there is what looks to be a vent- goes nowhere. Anyone know what that is for?

My wife and I, Michelle, have an new M20K and have noticed there is no place to put charts, etc.  

Does anyone have any have pics of an  good installation?

would it have to be velcro to avoid FAA problems?

we are thinking of wrapping a homemade removable pocket and wrap it around the front (covering that vent) around to right side of console, then back a few inches.

if that vent is for cooling, we'd have to know that now.

Thanks everyone. This is the best resource I have found,

Jim

Thanks

I put charts between the front seats; approach plates I turn sideways and put on the floor at the bottom of the console. When I am through with one for a given flight, I move it to the floor behind the right seat. Just put a post it on one of the pages you expect to need, sticking out like a tab for easy opening. I stack them in intended order of use:  plates is first on top; charts are first to the right.

My C has an air vent in the lower pedestal, and air comes out of if when I extend the "Cabin Vent" knob on the panel. Later models seem to have moved this control to the right side of the pedestal.

P.S.--feel free to ignore the ipad crowd. I personally find the electronic charts to be great for preflight planning, but a pain to use in the air as they don't show very much when zoomed in to be readable.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do some searching... there is a thread where people discuss where and how they store their charts in home made and purchased devices...

There are people that have gone all electronic as well...

If you have a vent that doesn't have tubing supplying it... See where the tube used to go.  Have your mechanic help you restore the connection.

Some PP ideas only...

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

Unless the hoses have been "rearranged" somewhere along the way, both the Cabin Vent and Heater knobs supply air to that vent, which is useful to know.  The Cabin Vent supplies cold air and the heater supplies hot air.  In my aircraft, the hot air can be too hot, you can moderate that by adding in some cold air.  Mixing the two gives stronger airflow and more even heating of the cabin than just using a small amount of hot air.  Also, the hot air can be hot enough that the fuel switch is heated to the point where you can't switch it with your fingers, you have to use something like a piece of cloth.  This doesn't seem to harm anything, but if you don't need that much heat, adding in some cool air with the vent knob will help keep that fuel switch cool enough to touch.

The one problem with that heating system at altitude is that it is aft of your feet, which are in the footwells.  Your feet can get cold at altitude (it might be -50 up there) while the rest of you is warm.  

Edited by jlunseth
  • Thanks 1