ISO ADSB Suggestions

prflyer

We are considering an ADSB upgrade for a 1965 M20E.  The airplane is currently equipped with a Garmin 650 WAAS navigator and a Garmin 330 transponder that already has the traffic on which displays on the 650.

With this setup, what would you guys recommend? We are looking for the most economical upgrade path that makes sense.  Thanks.

Fernando

Hi,

An option is to send the 330 to Garmin and have them upgrade it to 330ES for adsb-out, you likely need to add a few wires from the 650's Data buss to the 33O connector to pull in/out GPS data. Do a 91.413 check, fly in controlled airspace, get your FAA report and enjoy.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, prflyer said:

We are considering an ADSB upgrade for a 1965 M20E.  The airplane is currently equipped with a Garmin 650 WAAS navigator and a Garmin 330 transponder that already has the traffic on which displays on the 650.

With this setup, what would you guys recommend? We are looking for the most economical upgrade path that makes sense.  Thanks.

Fernando

What do you mean by ISO? I am stumped...

Although one option is to simply upgrade your 330 to the 330 ES since it will make you ADS-B out compliant. But it does nothing to improve the limited TIS traffic you get now from your 330. A portable ADS-B in solution is better than the TIS traffic you are getting on the 330. Besides being limited, it also subject to delays of up to 13 secs. Perhaps the cost of the 330 upgrade is better put towards replacing the 330 with the GTX 345 or one of similar competitor products. But with the 650, the 345 integrates beautifully and the 345 (and many others) provide dual band ADS-B in with the full traffic picture everywhere, not just under TRACON radar coverage by those sites that include TIS. And as more and more planes upgrade to ADS-B and air-to-air ADS-B reception become more the norm, then the more real time your trafffic picture will be. Also ADS-B traffic devices include directional vectors to quickly tell you how much of a threat they are based on their direction and closure rate. So a rather lengthy discussion to suggest not assuming your current solution really has the traffic picture solved for you - its a very limited solution. 

Edited by kortopates
  • Like 1

Do the ES upgrade and get the FAA rebate.

Consider your options for "in" separately.   

If a stratus/ux works for you - great. 

If you want something that's a bit more of a permanent install consider the new ADS-B antennas from Garmin.  The GDL-52R will do the functions of a GDL-69/A, gives you ADS-B "in", has an AHARS for attitude backup, Bluetooth for XM radio, and has a battery backup.  That's a lot of functionality.  For a box.  Only thing it doesn't give you is flight plan transfer like a FS-210 or FS-510.  

Consider a Aera 660 or a dedicated "non permanent" MFD for ADS-B. You may be able to hard wire to your 650 to get a GMX-200 like MFD type display.    

The combined price of the Aera 660/GDL-52/R is less than the additional cost of the GTX-345 and probably gives more functionality. 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!  Sounds like I will explore the 330ES first.  Does anyone know approximately how much the upgrade is from the 330 to the 330ES?

Kortoplates - sorry about the abbreviation.  As Lancecasper said, I meant to say that I was "in search of" of ADSB suggestions for my current set up.

Please keep the suggestions coming!

Fernando

Thanks again everyone. I will go for the ES upgrade to the 330.  I was also told by the avionics shop that the transponder will be set so that the relevant towers are alerted and I can get the information on my iPad with the Stratus.

On 8/29/2017 at 9:58 PM, prflyer said:

Thanks again everyone. I will go for the ES upgrade to the 330.  I was also told by the avionics shop that the transponder will be set so that the relevant towers are alerted and I can get the information on my iPad with the Stratus.

Make sure you apply for your rebate before it expires.