Mooney meet up at Triple Tree

Supercop0184

We flew in and camped for the eclipse vigil.  I only saw 7 or 8 Mooney's there.  Arrival procedure was super simple, runway was very nice, restroom/shower facilities excellent, grill your own steak was a ton of fun; however, the heat was pretty oppressive for camping.  Hopefully it will be cooler for the big fly in.  Interesting planes that we saw arrive for the eclipse: Commander 685 (they flew in and camped), DC3, MU2 (not sure of model), another twin commander (smaller model), twin bonanza, a bunch of modded Apaches.  Worst landing went to a bonanza pilot that full stalled and dropped it in from about 4 or 5 feet.  Everyone just shrieked...not exactly soft field technique (lol).

I look forward to hearing the stories about this place now that I've been there.  Have fun!

• 1 year later...

Hey guys.  I plan on going and am local to the area.  For those that haven't been it is well worth a visit.  I cannot emphasize this enough.  I describe it as the Augusta National of aviation.  My grandmother used to volunteer at Augusta when I was a kid and it has the same feel as the early years of the Masters before all of the hype.  

You will have no problems flying and landing in the Mooney.  I even leave my inner gear doors on and have always taxied slowly.  We will be camping all week and will make it a point to keep a Mooney shirt on. The extended forecast is looking like highs in the mid 80s and lows in the mid 60s.  Hope to see you.

http://www.tripletreeaerodrome.com/triple-tree-fly-in.php  

If you've never been to Triple Tree, you're missing out.  I'm local, so I'll probably be there, even if I drive. It may be a grass strip, but it has the best maintained grass strip on the planet. The whole campus is beautiful.  Bath houses for camping, etc.  Think of it almost like a micro OshKosh.  Make sure you pull the approach procedures from the website.  If this materialized, I'll be there for sure: Fly or Drive. 

Should we call it a MooneySpace meetup on Saturday the 7th?

http://www.tripletreeaerodrome.com/triple-tree-fly-in.php

• Like 2

I’m certainly game for declaring Saturday the 7th “Mooney fly in day at Triple Tree” and am planning to fly my 231 there.  If you haven’t been to SC00, it’s a really cool airport to visit and worth the trip.  I met a couple of other Mooney drivers at the young aviators fly in earlier this year and would be great to meet more!

For the super ambitious who camp the night or are local, there’s also a SC breakfast club fly in at 9am over at KCUB on Sunday the 8th.  Also a lot of fun and informal.  http://southcarolinabreakfastclub.com/2019-schedule.  

• Like 2