Online pseudonyms and aliases.

BillC

1 hour ago, midlifeflyer said:

I'm willing to bet you'd find out who I am by typing midlifeflyer into Google a lot faster than ..... 

Well, I tried typing "Mooney Mite" into Google and saw a lot of pictures of my former M-18.  It is a lot better looking than I am, so everyone wins.

Mooney Mite.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

My identity is printed on my signature block.  I am Erik Bollt, and so aviatoreb should be pretty easy to guess where that came from.

18 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

Every post of mine is signed as well. #nothingtohide #notashamed

16 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I have my name in my signature and there's more than enough on my blog to figure out just about whatever you want. Not hiding from anything, just goes way back to days of playing computer games online and forums from many years past...

I don't see these signatures, either on the posts or your home pages...?

7 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Are you on a phone? I don't see signatures on my phone but I do when browsing on my computer. 

No, I'm use a browser, Chrome, on a Windows laptop. But I just discovered I somehow had the "show signatures" option turned off.  My bad. thanks,

9 hours ago, Hector said:

Me too. It would be nice to show up to Mooney gatherings and actually know someone's name. I've been here for years and know a few of you but many of you I only know by your handle.

Hector, at least we will be able to spot each other at the Summit by our nametags. To quote another one with my name, "the whole world calls me Hank." Except for the gummint, that is . . . . 

I've been the "Oldguy" for years with prematurely grey hair and in a field where anyone over 30 is obsolete, or should be considered so by those under 30. My full name should be on my signature block as well as location and N-number on my avatar.

Plus, I go tired of taking guff about my last name.... 

On August 27, 2017 at 10:40 AM, Godfather said:

I guess I'd fit the bill for the OP. However, starting a thread like this without a first and last name listed and an N number displayed is kind of ironic no?

Actually, I wrote that giving last names or any other personal information in not necessary. Please read the question before you post a response. I merely asked why first names aren't usually used. I understand privacy and agree with it. 

Edited by BillC

On August 27, 2017 at 0:26 PM, midlifeflyer said:

I wonder why a lot of people choose to use a common name like Bob and add an initial  when submitting questions or responses. Is there a reason why the choose to hide their identity? :D

I've been using "midlifeflyer" online for about 18 years now. I'm willing to bet you'd find out who I am by typing midlifeflyer into Google a lot faster than I would find out who you are by typing in BillC. Why the anonymity? ;) 

I'm afraid you missed the point and have apparently taken offense to my question. That's unfortunate for you. If you read the original post you would have seen that I asked why people on this forum don't use their FIRST name.  I wasn't asking any more than that. I don't care or need to know anything about your last name, private life, or personal information.

And really....you think I'm being anonymous using my real name? 

42 minutes ago, BillC said:

I'm afraid you missed the point and have apparently taken offense to my question. That's unfortunate for you. If you read the original post you would have seen that I asked why people on this forum don't use their FIRST name.  I wasn't asking any more than that. I don't care or need to know anything about your last name, private life, or personal information.

And really....you think I'm being anonymous using my real name? 

What made you think I took offense? :unsure: you might be a little too serious objecting to the common use of handles on Internet forums (that's unfortunate) but I certainly didn't take offense about it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, midlifeflyer said:

What made you think I took offense? :unsure: you might be a little too serious objecting to the common use of handles on Internet forums (that's unfortunate) but I certainly didn't take offense about it. 

One more time and I'm done. I never 'seriously objected' to the use of 'handles' on this forum. I merely asked why a lot of people don't use their FIRST names. It was a simple question that only needed a simple answer.

3 hours ago, BillC said:

One more time and I'm done. I never 'seriously objected' to the use of 'handles' on this forum. I merely asked why a lot of people don't use their FIRST names. It was a simple question that only needed a simple answer.

I think many people gave many simple answers.  It seems like the reasons vary.  Questin answered.  Problem solved.  I sound like Carusoam....  "Just pp thoughts.  Get a PPI.  Yada yada...  A"  (That was my Carusoam impersonation)  ;) 

John

Edited by jrwilson
  • Like 4

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 5:03 PM, gsxrpilot said:

Every post of mine is signed as well. #nothingtohide #notashamed

You crazy kids and your hashtags!  Get a haircut, you millennial!  (FYI, I don't think hashtags work here...That is for the hip websites like instagram and the like)

• Haha 1

My grandmother and my parents shared a party line, and our home ph# started with 423 which was given as Garfield 3 and then the 4 numbers that followed and before that when the city only had prefix you only had to dial the last 4 numbers ( the original speed dial )

6 hours ago, jrwilson said:

I think many people gave many simple answers.  It seems like the reasons vary.  Questin answered.  Problem solved.  I sound like Carusoam....  "Just pp thoughts.  Get a PPI.  Yada yada...  A"  (That was my Carusoam impersonation)  ;) 

John

That is a lousy impression of Anthony , you need to go through half of the alphabet in subsets , every single time you post......

There have been a few references to Beechtalk , and whatever they do, they do it right ........  Not quite sure why this site hasn't followed suit  ..........                                          BeechTalk Web Stats

Description Stat
Registered Users 44,846
Monthly Pageviews 3 Million!
Monthly Visits 237,000
Monthly Unique Vistors 49,000
Average Time on Site 19 minutes
Pages per Visit 12+
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

I'm glad it hasn't. I'm on BT and the few times I've been on there, threads derail almost as quickly as the Purple Board and get into a big pissing match. I *much* prefer the small, tight-knit community here on MS.

Heck, people use their full names and connected Facebook profiles containing all sorts of personal information about themselves, their affiliations, their beliefs, and get into big pissing matches and name-calling. Thinking it has anything to do with using or avoiding handles is a mistake. This past week, for the first time, I left an aviation  group due to its nastiness. It was on Facebook with full names and profiles.

As an almost 30 year veteran of online forums, my take is, the "rough and tumble" of the Internet is due far more to impersonality than anonymity. 

- geriflyer

26 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

I met my husband on an Internet forum.  Way back in the day when Compuserve was "the" thing and MS had not even worked out what Explorer was.  Both of us had Handles, funnily enough it was what made us say hi to each other.  Had we used our real names I doubt if we would have met. 

Andrew

Do you remember GEnie?