Online pseudonyms and aliases.

BillC

I wonder why a lot of people choose to use an alias when submitting questions or responses on this board. It seems awfully cold to have to refer to someone using an alias instead of their real first name. No need to use you last name or give up any personal information. I'd rather talk to "Joe" than to "ABQ201". It just doesn't seem very friendly. Is there a reason why some of you choose to hide your identity?

Edited by BillC
  • Like 1

I've had the same 'handle' since about 1994 when I first starting joining IRC groups and what not.  Back then, NO ONE used their real name.  Everyone was afraid the government or hackers or whatever would find you and bug your house.  These days, people go on Amazon and willing BUY a listening device to keep on their kitchen counter.  

I use my 'handle' everywhere on line.  It's certainly not hiding my identity any more.

• Like 1

I'm happy with an N-number, fairly easy to trace the owner.

I remember when I started serving my insurance sentence and my CFI said that in short order I would have the number memorized such that whenever it was said I would react as if my name was called--he was right.

I first started using computers in 1972 and my username was hrm. Sometimes I re-invoke it.

2 hours ago, BillC said:

I wonder why a lot of people choose to use an alias when submitting questions or responses on this board. It seems awfully cold to have to refer to someone using an alias instead of their real first name. No need to use you last name or give up any personal information. I'd rather talk to "Joe" than to "ABQ201". It just doesn't seem very friendly. Is there a reason why some of you choose to hide your identity?

Bill,

I've never said or typed anything on this forum or any other that is meant to offend anyone, so I try to sign every post.

Clarence

I am total agreement with Clarence and Bill. I much prefer how Beechtalk does it since I believe it ensures more responsibility of the poster. That's not to say those that use an alias are irresponsible in their posts and treatment of their fellow Mooney pilots - most are not. But IMO I think those that are would not or do it a lot less if they were not using an alias. Just my opinion and FWIW I've been on the internet since we've had one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

3 hours ago, steingar said:

I am sorry, but I am an uncomfortably public person and value my privacy.  Besides, my nom de plume is a little more like my trusted alter ego.  Moreover, its kinda cool having a secret identity.

I'm the sedan with the dark tinted windows that drives slowly by your house every night at 8pm.  :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've used the same alias for a long, long time. It's actually my gmail address as well. I used to just use "Skates" which goes back to playing hockey, but that was often already taken in games and forums (no doubt by some young punk kid that rides a skateboard everywhere...) The 97 came from the number Jeremy Roenick wore when he played for the Coyotes, it was the number I wore on my jerseys when I was playing, and so I put that on the end of the "alias."

I have my name in my signature and there's more than enough on my blog to figure out just about whatever you want. Not hiding from anything, just goes way back to days of playing computer games online and forums from many years past...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kortopates said:

I am total agreement with Clarence and Bill. I much prefer how Beechtalk does it since I believe it ensures more responsibility of the poster. That's not to say those that use an alias are irresponsible in their posts and treatment of their fellow Mooney pilots - most are not. But IMO I think those that are would not or do it a lot less if they were not using an alias. Just my opinion and FWIW I've been on the internet since we've had one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree - I wish we did it like beechtalk for the reasons you said.

• Like 2

Aliases come about because my name isn't that unique. So I end up being mark mcclure 2.0. 

I think those of us on here that don't care, don't care - which is why we have an awesome map that shows where we all are in the world too.  

There will always be those that will keep everything online and then there are those that will bridge the gap for real human interaction. 

• Like 1

If you go on the web and look up orionflt you will find me very easily, I have been using that handle ever since i first started logging on to bulletin boards. I also provide my info on my avitar and sign my name... at least most of the time. In all the time I have been a member of this group I have never felt some one was trying to hide behind a screen name, and most of what is said would be said in a group setting or face to face. yes some time things are said and meant differently and some times not but most people on here want to help and or learn not offend. 

Brian

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BillC said:

I wonder why a lot of people choose to use a common name like Bob and add an initial  when submitting questions or responses. Is there a reason why the choose to hide their identity? :D

I've been using "midlifeflyer" online for about 18 years now. I'm willing to bet you'd find out who I am by typing midlifeflyer into Google a lot faster than I would find out who you are by typing in BillC. Why the anonymity? ;) 

Clearly I'm comfortable with my name

Me too. It would be nice to show up to Mooney gatherings and actually know someone's name. I've been here for years and know a few of you but many of you I only know by your handle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2