New Panel

82Mike

Nearing the destination I put the approach plate up full screen. It is a little small but I can read it. I can quickly zoom and pan the screen if I need too.

Sorry no picture (yet)

I use it to display the airport layout for taxi diagram. Seattle Avionics has a lot more than the official FAA does. All with your airplane overlaid on the layout. Again sorry no picture yet.

The big thing is I have so many options. I still have not settled on one I really like better. Some phases of flight favor different data so I change it alot.

Anyone have suggestions I would like to try them all. One thing I am thinking of is to put the IAP layout (upper half) on the 500 to display the approach and overlay the airplane and put the lower section with the step down minimum altitudes and fixes on the MFD. This would give me zoomed view of the entire plate with all the information constantly displayed directly in front of me. (pictures soon)

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 82Mike said:

Final product!

F065E0AE-1137-4A51-8019-87C5F203CFED.jpeg

Looks great. My switches are in the same order as yours. I was thinking about moving the boost pump switch to the right side (nav lights switch?) just so I don’t inadvertently turn off the radio master switch.  Anyone else have this concern?

Just now, MIm20c said:

Looks great. My switches are in the same order as yours. I was thinking about moving the boost pump switch to the right side (nav lights switch?) just so I don’t inadvertently turn off the radio master switch.  Anyone else have this concern?

Having been known to do this more than once, it's a sound idea.

4 hours ago, 82Mike said:

Final product!

F065E0AE-1137-4A51-8019-87C5F203CFED.jpeg

NIce! I really like the buttons at the top of the panel. Who makes them? Also nice to see they incorporated the Aspen reversion for the autopilot in the system. Adds a nice redundancy capability. What is the switch on the far left labeled Emer Disc? Also what is the rotary switch above the ignition key?

Now you got to post the rest of the panel. 

The Emergency Disc switch is for the ELT.  The rotary knob above the ignition is to flash the landing light (no beacon on this plane).  The buttons are called “Eaton” switches they are really cool.  I really liked the way Phil/Danny tied in the AP with both Aspen (I will call them PFD’s).  It really does provide true redundancy to my systems.  Thanks for comments!

• Like 1

The journey,

So how tremendous 133DB looks now took a great deal of work and humility.  In September of 2016 I did the unforgivable, gear up :(  It was so humiliating.  Here I am a CFI and I crash landed a plane I have loved for years.  Fast forward 14 months, and this is what hard work and a great deal of money lol can do.  So many people deserve so much credit, and none of them are me.  First J. D. and Laura at Southwest Texas Aviation did everything possible to get me the parts and make sure I knew it would all work out.  Simply the best MSC on the planet, remember I live in Florida and Texas is clearly the best!

Hal Brannon my A&P at Wing South is simply the best mechanic in the world and probably the best human I have ever met.  Such a kind caring person.  He even had triple by pass surgery while we were being 133DB back to life.

Joe Dinalfo at Hawk Aircraft Painting is a master at his craft.  I was so lucky to have ever met him.  I think he would do anything to help with your plane.  Not just painting but making sure it was done correct.  It looks so good because he did it perfect!

Manzi Lawfer my next door neighbor who has done everything possible on the plane.  New windows/windscreen no problem.  New scat hoses no problem.  Take out the ram air ok.  New gear disc donuts I can do it! The guy is simply the most helpful person I know!

Phil and Ralph Tomlinson and Danny Capinga at Tomlinson Avionics are the best shop in America.  They have been working on my panel for over 3 years and we have all but a new AP (lol) done.  I don’t think any shop could have made that panel any better than what they created.

lastly Alan Davis (A&P/CFII).  Great pilot really great friend, but he did so much more.  Simple speech “those who have and those who will”, but he helped me believe that.  I can’t thank him enough for that.  Screwing up so bad shakes you to your core.  Alan can be the toughest SOB in the world, but he knew how bad it hurt me and he built me back up again.

Long rant I know, but the moral is really simple.  133DB is probably the nicest 201 on the planet, and while I get the benefit and joy of owning and flying her, the journey was long and amazing.  If you think your invincible and it can’t/won’t happen to you listen to someone it has.  Humans screw up and it is a fact of being human.  

Thanks to everyone of these great friends and especially my wife Rhonda for letting me do all of that work and spend all that money. What wife would let you do all of that after you F...ed up so bad?  She let me bring a great old Mooney back to life.  Can’t thank her enough for doing that for me.

Mike

77EE1031-5207-4494-9404-0B458170C26E.jpeg

CABB9E69-C584-4108-9B06-11A8FB6A8D7D.jpeg

• Like 9

On 11/1/2017 at 7:41 PM, 82Mike said:

The Emergency Disc switch is for the ELT.  The rotary knob above the ignition is to flash the landing light (no beacon on this plane).  The buttons are called “Eaton” switches they are really cool.  I really liked the way Phil/Danny tied in the AP with both Aspen (I will call them PFD’s).  It really does provide true redundancy to my systems.  Thanks for comments!

I think the EBB Disconnect Switch is for the Emergency Backup Battery in the Multi-Aspen Installations. I had a two Aspen installation in an Ovation and it had the same switch.

59fbebc23dbd9_ScreenShot2017-11-02at11_06_14PM.thumb.png.7b648ee45dd79a2a1435cd1b74455da5.png

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

@82Mike Tomlinson really did a nice job on that panel. Everything is in the proper spot and lined up perfectly!  I really like the recessed painted screws, top quality work IMO.  Do you know what exact screw they used for all the instrument/switch attachments?

I Am not 100% sure on the screws but I will ask?

2 hours ago, Bartman said:

I'm gonna have to quit coming to the Avionics and Panel Discussion.  Just starting the first stage this month with ADB-b upgrade, with plans to clean it up with new cutout next year.  I have serious panel envy, just sayin

Na it takes time, but if it is your “forever” Plane well worth it.  Tell you something thought Tomlinson does just tremendous work and they are very fair with their prices.

58 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

I've lost count of how many "last" aircraft I've owned.  

This the first, lady and only airplane I have ever owned.  I️ have had my ticket for 31 years but never owned a plane until 3BD.  She is simply the only plane I will ever own :)

• Like 3