Question about CYSN IFR Proceedures

BradB

Hello to our Canadian friends.

I have to meet some work friends at Niagara on the Lake this weekend.  I'll fly into CYSN from Erie (KERI).   I have done the towered Billy Bishop (CYTZ) many times, but this will be my first trip to a non-towered Canadian airport.  

I will file IFR, I have CANPASS, and will do the eAPIS stuff. 

My Questions:

1) When I land, do I have to call and close my IFR flight plan?  Do this with FSS? 

2) Can I close in the air? Do I still have to call and report landing?

3) On departure, what is the best way to pick up my clearance? London rdo? Toronto approach from the ground? FSS?

4) Anything that I haven't though of?

Thanks for the help!

Brad

The old tower on the field is staffed by Nav Canada personnel who give advisories about traffic.  I would assume that they would close the flight plan, if not the Toronto approach controller will give you an 800 phone number to use.  

I hear people regularly cancelling their flight plan in the air, some also cancel alerting others do not meaning they have do it on the ground by phone.

I would assume the same in reverse for filing to return home.

Clarence

Thanks @M20Doc .

There was a very kind lady in the tower providing traffic advisories.   

She did cancel my IFR once I was on the ground.  She let me know that I could call her on the radio after start-up Sunday when I leave and she could get my clearance for me.   She was very helpful.

Brad

On 8/26/2017 at 9:18 AM, BradB said:

Thanks @M20Doc .

There was a very kind lady in the tower providing traffic advisories.   

She did cancel my IFR once I was on the ground.  She let me know that I could call her on the radio after start-up Sunday when I leave and she could get my clearance for me.   She was very helpful.

Brad

So Brad:  

Any comparison to the Chicago controller approach you see as significant? Other than the traffic volume of course.