Prepping for Harvey

Txbyker

2 hours ago, kpaul said:

Montana has the opposite problem right now, forest fires everywhere.

Maybe Harvey will steer their way after coming ashore, instead of curving over this way. We're way ahead on rain for the year, 17" above normal at the end of July. Just one more reason my flying is down this year . . . .

2 hours ago, kpaul said:

Montana has the opposite problem right now, forest fires everywhere.

Maybe Harvey will steer their way after coming ashore, instead of curving over this way. We're way ahead on rain for the year, 17" above normal at the end of July. Just one more reason my flying is down this year . . . .

• Like 1

Cat 4, very nasty,  for those that have never been through or seen 1st hand the amount of water it is unreal. Imagine an F3 Tornado that is 100 miles wide, last 8 hours and dumps 20+ inches of rain. Have friends right in the middle, Corpus, Victoria, Port Lavaca and Houston, have heard from some, will be checking again in the morning

12 hours ago, EricJ said:

Post pics!

There will be pics, not all of them safe for work ;-)

11 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

Just don't leave any of it behind:  :(

"Once a year, tens of thousands of people gather in Nevada's Black Rock Desert (also known as “the playa”) to create Black Rock City, a temporary metropolis dedicated to community, art, self-expression, and self-reliance. They depart one week later, having left no trace whatsoever."

I can attest to this. I was there last year. 80,000 people and not a speck of trash (it's called MOOP - Matter Out Of Place) anywhere. Not so much as a cigarette butt, beer can, orange peel, nothing. 

10 hours ago, peevee said:

I have to admit I'm curious, but I don't think it's my bag.

You might be surprised. There's something for everyone. And everyone is sooooo nice and respectful. We have 65 people this year in our camp. The youngest is 2, there are about 10 kids, and the oldest is 70. It's a great mix of people and everyone gets along.

Don't need to jack it up.   Pull the airplane forward,  lay out garbage bags behind the wheels and push it back on to the bags. Then pull them up.

This is from experience as I used to reside in a crappy row of T hangars that were susceptible to minor flooding.   

Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just don't leave any of it behind:  
"Once a year, tens of thousands of people gather in Nevada's Black Rock Desert (also known as “the playa”) to create Black Rock City, a temporary metropolis dedicated to community, art, self-expression, and self-reliance. They depart one week later, having left no trace whatsoever."

You mean just like Sturgis!!
I spoke with an ex Sturgis city council member . He explained several dump tuck loads of trash are removed from the streets each night, equaling 75 tons of trash left on the ground, and it takes 1 year to get through all the court cases filed during the event

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Shiny moose said:

You mean just like Sturgis!!
I spoke with an ex Sturgis city council member . He explained several dump tuck loads of trash are removed from the streets each night, equaling 75 tons of trash left on the ground, and it takes 1 year to get through all the court cases filed during the event

Hahahah... nope, different kind of people.

I always say, the two most impressive things to me about BurningMan were first the cleanliness of it. 80,000 people and not a scrap of trash anywhere at any time. There is no garbage pickup anytime during the 10 days. And the second thing is how nice and respectful everyone is. 

Here's an example... the nudity at BurningMan is well known. I'm sitting in our camp area which is under shade, comfortable with oriental carpets on the ground and living room furniture to sit on. There are probably 6 guys (a couple of friends and some other random guys who stopped by) just relaxing in the shade, some drinking beer, or our famous rum punch. A couple of 20 something girls walk by out on the "street", far enough away that they couldn't hear anything from us, but close enough that we could see they were wearing nothing but tennis shoes and sunglasses. There was not a single rude, inappropriate, or disrespectful comment from anyone. A few minutes later another woman walks by dressed the same way. But she's probably mid 60's and typically overweight. Not one of @Marauder girls but probably carrying an extra 100. Again, not a single rude, inappropriate, or disrespectful comment. It's not that anyone was holding back, it's just that everyone is nice, respectful, and accepting of everyone just the way they are. A very nice environment just to relax and decompress.

The nudity is there, but is not as prevalent as you might think. Probably less than 10%.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

When you stop by our camp, the 7 Sirens Cove, there are always three 5 gal coolers available for anyone to help themselves. Water, Gatorade, Rum Punch.

I'm not going but I'll send my friend by to test one. I love a good rum punch.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I always say, the two most impressive things to me about BurningMan were first the cleanliness of it. 80,000 people and not a scrap of trash anywhere at any time. There is no garbage pickup anytime during the 10 days. And the second thing is how nice and respectful everyone is. 

Here's an example... the nudity at BurningMan is well known. I'm sitting in our camp area which is under shade, comfortable with oriental carpets on the ground and living room furniture to sit on. There are probably 6 guys (a couple of friends and some other random guys who stopped by) just relaxing in the shade, some drinking beer, or our famous rum punch. A couple of 20 something girls walk by out on the "street", far enough away that they couldn't hear anything from us, but close enough that we could see they were wearing nothing but tennis shoes and sunglasses. There was not a single rude, inappropriate, or disrespectful comment from anyone. A few minutes later another woman walks by dressed the same way. But she's probably mid 60's and typically overweight. Not one of @Marauder girls but probably carrying an extra 100. Again, not a single rude, inappropriate, or disrespectful comment. It's not that anyone was holding back, it's just that everyone is nice, respectful, and accepting of everyone just the way they are. A very nice environment just to relax and decompress.

The nudity is there, but is not as prevalent as you might think. Probably less than 10%.

It's a fascinating event. I only know one person going and IDK how many times he's been, more than once before I guess. As interesting as it is, I think I'd have a horrible time and won't ever attend. It just isn't for me but the people I hear about going aren't what I'd expect I guess.