Prepping for Harvey

Txbyker

Shouldn't be a problem leaving her on jacks, mine has been that way at annual for several days before. If you're worried about 2 feet of rain and where it will go, raising the gear will give you peace of mind about your wheel bearings

• Like 1

I went out yesturday and took mine off the jacks, My thought is if I lost some siding it could knock it off the jacks and cause some ugly damage. Be safe, looks like you guys will get more than us down here. As far as leaving it on the jacks (good weather) , mine was up for over several months.

• Like 2

My insurance pays up to $500? relocation expense if a hurricane is forecast to come within a certain distance of my based field.

Check your policy, and head perpendicular to the path, far enough to feel comfortable. If it's not too late to leave . . . .

yes jut looking it would be a fun flight but you probably could still get out safely. light rain bkn 55 fly due north for 50 mils and then NE to Little Rock pretty clear.

Getting back home is the issue.

My uneducated guess is other than possible tornado you shouldn't see more than 80-90MPH winds based on current situation.  Rain flooding is another issue you have to judge that.  I'm not a meteorologist

I lost one plane to a hurricane when I didn't fly it out.  MY thought process changed from where can I fly and have someone drive 3 or less hours to get me to fly to the nearest airport where  SW airlines has a direct flight back to New Orleans fly the Mooney there and the catch SWA back and a week or two later go back and get it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RLCarter said:

I went out yesturday and took mine off the jacks, My thought is if I lost some siding it could knock it off the jacks and cause some ugly damage. Be safe, looks like you guys will get more than us down here. As far as leaving it on the jacks (good weather) , mine was up for over several months.

If the goal is to have the plane a few more inches off the ground in case if light flooding, can you put wood or platforms under the wheels and set the plane back down on them after jacking?  Like working on a car, the jacks are to get it into the air, not support it the whole time.  This would give you the added ground clearance you wanted, without easily falling in case of external loads.  

I would recommend this for the OP as well.  If you are going to the trouble to get it in the air, don't rely on the hydraulics not leaking.  Take the load back onto the wheels.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I was scheduled to fly out to BurningMan on Saturday. But I don't think there will be any flying around here on Saturday, so I'm leaving today. Northern Nevada should be far enough away ;-)

That poor plane. How many cases of tape you bringing?

1 hour ago, Dan at FUL said:

I would recommend this for the OP as well.  If you are going to the trouble to get it in the air, don't rely on the hydraulics not leaking.  Take the load back onto the wheels.  

I'm with others here. I would likely just move the plane to safety if it were me. However if you are going to stick it out, I would put locking rings on your hydraulic rams.

Like these- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026GZQVY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These cylinders can and often do leak down over time, particularly the cheap Chinese ones most people have today. Once the plane is secure on the jacks, you might as well raise the gear too.

One other thing to think about is the standing water. Even if the flood waters never touch the plane, that water will make the inside of your hangar and your plane damp with condensation. If the sun comes out and warms things up with the water still there and the doors closed, it will literally start raining inside your hangar. I know, I used to have this problem with a previous hangar. It was a Port-a-Port that was just bolted down to the asphalt ramp. When it rained, the water would run underneath the walls and doors and then pool there. The sun would come out and it became a sauna. I'll put it this way- My Craftsman tools inside closed toolboxes rusted in that place.

26 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

What happens at Burning Man stays at Burning Man....

Just don't leave any of it behind:  :(

"Once a year, tens of thousands of people gather in Nevada's Black Rock Desert (also known as “the playa”) to create Black Rock City, a temporary metropolis dedicated to community, art, self-expression, and self-reliance. They depart one week later, having left no trace whatsoever."

38 minutes ago, Mooneymite said:

Just don't leave any of it behind:  :(

"Once a year, tens of thousands of people gather in Nevada's Black Rock Desert (also known as “the playa”) to create Black Rock City, a temporary metropolis dedicated to community, art, self-expression, and self-reliance. They depart one week later, having left no trace whatsoever."

I have to admit I'm curious, but I don't think it's my bag.

We had the remains of a hurricane blow through our friendly little metropolis a few years ago.  After seeing that I decided that there was nothing that would induce me to sit out a hurricane. One of the things I like about where I live (Ohio) is that as unpleasant as the weather is just about all the time, it is very, very rarely lethal or destructive.

Just now, KSMooniac said:

There is a guy on Beechtalk offering rides in his 18 back to Houston if anyone needs help evacuating. I'd leave my cars and get the plane out! Even if I had to put all of the cats and the dog in there with me.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I'd leave the cats and take the dog :D

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rpcc said:

Yeah Dude - its a cat 3 now - been through a cat 1 - if I had an ovation - I'd have waited it out in Montana.  

Montana has the opposite problem right now, forest fires everywhere.