Advice requested for flying near Phoenix

On 8/25/2017 at 8:31 AM, carqwik said:

I would not recommend going into Sky Harbor...unless you're a turbine driver.  All the other airports are probably about the same distance (more or less) from downtown Phoenix.  I'd suggest coming IFR if you're not familiar with the area.  If you can't do IFR, then GYR is a logical choice to avoid some of the airspace issues....

Resurrecting this thread although there may be little interest in the topic...but for anyone wondering.....I just flew into KPHX this morning. Second time for me flying into and landing at a Bravo. Really, it is a piece of cake. The controllers are as nice as can be. I flew in IFR, got radar vectors for landing on 25L/7R (which is the typical GA runway) and used Cutter which offers a shuttle to the commercial terminals. Couldnt have been easier. I flew out VFR and got vectors out of the Bravo. Cutter charges a $20 landing fee but offers crew cars plus the terminal shuttle...worth it in my opinion.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, 231LV said:

Resurrecting this thread although there may be little interest in the topic...but for anyone wondering.....I just flew into KPHX this morning. Second time for me flying into and landing at a Bravo. Really, it is a piece of cake. The controllers are as nice as can be. I flew in IFR, got radar vectors for landing on 25L/7R (which is the typical GA runway) and used Cutter which offers a shuttle to the commercial terminals. Couldnt have been easier. I flew out VFR and got vectors out of the Bravo. Cutter charges a $20 landing fee but offers crew cars plus the terminal shuttle...worth it in my opinion.

I don't think Cutter charges (or can charge) a landing fee but their ramp fee is $20/night with the first night waived with fuel purchase. I pay $37/night to park my car when I drive to PHX and fly out of there.

1 hour ago, KLRDMD said:

I don't think Cutter charges (or can charge) a landing fee but their ramp fee is $20/night with the first night waived with fuel purchase. I pay $37/night to park my car when I drive to PHX and fly out of there.

Go to the west economy. $7 day. 

I went in and out of KPHX late last year, to Swift aviation which is near Cutter, as EAM was doing some warranty work on my avionics installation.   Wasn't too bad, but definitely oriented more toward the bigger clients.    While it's definitely an option, I think the surrounding GA airports might be a better experience for most.    This whole area is busy, though, so expect traffic no matter where you go.
20180916_083931.thumb.jpg.7a6887f355b802d72d8109b92adcf752.jpg20180916_081538.thumb.jpg.24d48df61fad78c6d16b4604c1d2670c.jpg20180916_082429.thumb.jpg.55f731fd5b3e7cf9ec4c9bfe357128f0.jpg

1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

The exercise is good for you!

I don't mind the exercise, I generally run 4-5 miles 2-3x a week. It is generally a half hour on a shuttle bus that I don't have the patience for.

On 4/24/2019 at 7:31 AM, KLRDMD said:

I don't mind the exercise, I generally run 4-5 miles 2-3x a week. It is generally a half hour on a shuttle bus that I don't have the patience for.

There is a very long sidewalk between terminal 2 and 3 then you can take the train.