KT79 TSO Transponder not reporting Altitude

dfswing2

I have an old KT79 transponder that began being intermittent in reporting altitude and finally stopped altogether during a flight Saturday.  I had the biannual IFR certification done in April and had some issues after but would always clear after cycling power.  It had done so prior to the calibration a couple of times as well.  I plan a panel upgrade next year so don't want to replace right now.  Any suggestions or has anyone had to address this before.

Don

2 hours ago, dfswing2 said:

I have an old KT79 transponder that began being intermittent in reporting altitude and finally stopped altogether during a flight Saturday.  I had the biannual IFR certification done in April and had some issues after but would always clear after cycling power.  It had done so prior to the calibration a couple of times as well.  I plan a panel upgrade next year so don't want to replace right now.  Any suggestions or has anyone had to address this before.

Don

If you have the KEA130A encoding altimeter it could be a loose connection on the back of the altimeter - that happened on mine. I could wiggle the wire and see the Altitude go on and off on the transponder display. Hopefully its not the encoding altimeter - they are expensive to rebuild or replace.