CO Detector Discounts

DanM20C

The Kiddie CO monitor is a great option for your home, but I wouldn't rely on it in my plane.  It will not alert you to a problem until it is an emergency.  CO levels that are less than 30 PPM will not even show up on the display.  Further, with CO levels around 70 PPM it will take 1-4 hours before the unit will alarm.  Below are the pertinent sections of the Kiddie owners manual.  By contrast, the Sensorcon unit displays CO levels as low as 1 PPM and alarms instantly when the alarm level is reached.

Accuracy of Digital Display: (Model KN-COPP-B-LPM Only) 30-999 PPM +/-30% when measured in conditions of 80° F (+/- 10° F), atmospheric pressure +/- 10% and 40% +/- 3% relative humidity. Display readings may vary slightly depending on changes in the ambient condition (temperature, humidity) and the condition of the sensor.

Alarm Response Times: 70 PPM = 60-240 min., 150 PPM = 10-50 min., 400 PPM = 4-15 min.

Your plane, your life, you get to decide the level of risk you are willing to take.  I'll stick with my Sensorcon detector.

• Like 1

For those that have purchased the  Sensorcon where have you determined the best location and way to mount it in your Mooneys? Please provide picture if you have come up with a creative/clean way to mount. I always am concerned with loose items or other objects restricting flight controls! Items resting on floor are a no-go for me..

10 minutes ago, SAMFOX said:

For those that have purchased the  Sensorcon where have you determined the best location and way to mount it in your Mooneys? Please provide picture if you have come up with a creative/clean way to mount. I always am concerned with loose items or other objects restricting flight controls! Items resting on floor are a no-go for me..

I don’t have a picture.. but I removed the clamp from the Sensorcon and replaced with a small piece of Velcro.  I attached it on my panel over a blanked out instrument cover.  It fits nicely into my scan.... and now I won’t forget to turn it on/off (which would be very likely if I mounted it on the floor).

In one of the original threads about Dan’s misadventure there was considerable discussion about mounting options. A site search should turn up the answer and pics you seek. Many of us have it velcro’d low on the center pedestal, some on the panel, and at least one overhead near the speaker. The audible alarm is very weak (my only criticism of the Sensorcon) so it should be placed somewhere you can scan if not near your ears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perfect thanks for input...If I am remembering correctly from childhood chemistry classes, CO2 is heavier than O2 D2 the extra atom...so a lower position would make more sense and give better/earlier detection. But then again only makes a difference if you actually know the alarm is going off!

1 hour ago, SAMFOX said:

Perfect thanks for input...If I am remembering correctly from childhood chemistry classes, CO2 is heavier than O2 D2 the extra atom...so a lower position would make more sense and give better/earlier detection. But then again only makes a difference if you actually know the alarm is going off!

The density of CO2 and O2 are not very relevant. The gas density of CO is only slightly less than air, so a low placement of the CO detector doesn't make much sense.  

I really like the clip on mine because it allows for a lot of options.  So far, I've clipped it to the passenger seat belt, my flight bag in right seat, the door handle strap (I thought that was creative) and myself.  It was designed to be worn on your body, so clipping it to your clothing is an option too.  You won't be able to scan for it, but you will definitely feel the vibrations when it alarms.  Go ahead, ask me how I know. :wacko:

2 hours ago, SAMFOX said:

I removed the clip and use a 3M Command Strip to attach it to the right side of my panel.  Easy to remove if needed.

I have my CO detector mounted on the ceiling left of my head. I’m 6’4” and it’s nevet been in the way and I can easily read the display. When my muff cracked it was right there to blow in my ear (although I think it was loud enough people on the ground heard it)

-Robert

• 2 months later...
On 8/26/2017 at 11:21 AM, mike_elliott said:

I have reached out to Caleb Dembitsky of Sensorcon to obtain a calibration kit, and have a PM into you Dan about it since you also want one. I can think of no one better to administer this service for the Mooney Summit if you want that role going forward, Dan.

@mike_elliott Hi Mike, I just ordered one of the Sensorcon units (discount code no longer works, not surprising, but price is fair). Do I need a separate calibration kit? 

Thanks,

Stephen

Stephen, these only need to be recalibrated every few years and is easier to have Sensorcon do it, Dan Bass do it, or the Mooney Summit do it than to buy your own calibration kit. I am surprised the discount code no longer works, it was a few weeks ago.

Best mounting ideas...

In sight so you know it is on and collecting data...

In the same air you are breathing...

A seatback pocket, may not be very good for  same air you get...

A seatback pocket might not give the audible alarm you might want to have...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

Just now, carusoam said:

Best mounting ideas...

In sight so you know it is on and collecting data...

In the same air you are breathing...

A seatback pocket, may not be very good for  same air you get...

A seatback pocket might not give the audible alarm you might want to have...

PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

Pictures or it never happened  ;)

• Like 1

I am an outlier...

I bought a CO detector from Aeromedix/COExperts, before Dan did all his research...

My need came from an aging olfactory bulb... it got old back in 2011... a few years later I saw an ad for something I needed and was looking for...

When it’s battery wears out, the sensor is deemed old as well...

I expect that I will be joining the Sensorcon group the next time...  better to have the shared experience than to be reinventing the CO wheel...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/21/2018 at 1:30 PM, skydvrboy said:

FYI... I just tried the discount code on the Sensorcon website and it is still working.  It has to be entered exactly "aircraft2017" for it to work.

Still works on 6/19 - for some reason I had "airport2017" which is wrong.   "aircraft2017" does the job.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Still works on 12/26/18  -  I know I am late to this party, but thank you very much for this! I heard this story for the first time today via podcast driving into the office. It lit the proverbial fire. Aero 551 is next on the list.

• Like 1