CO Detector Discounts

DanM20C

Hello All,

Most of you will remember my little mishap back in February of this year.  If you are not familiar, here is a link to the tread.

Most everyone here has purchased a Sensorcon or similar since my accident.  For those that want a more permanent installation Guardian has also offered up a 20% discount on any of their CO detectors.  I'm going to be installing one in my airplane and run the Sensorcon right next to it.  I might be a little paranoid now.

The basic Guardian  model runs on ship's power but is basically a stand alone unit.  The models above that have varying additional features.  I'm planing on adding the AERO 551 to my panel.  It has the ability to display on a JPI (also many MFD's) and has an alarm that can be wired into the intercom system.  

Guardian Avionics https://www.guardianavionics.com/faa-tso-certified-aircraft-co-detectors

20% off Discount Code:  coaware

The Sensorcon discount also is still active

20% off Sensorcon code: aircraft2017

Update on me.  About a month ago I replaced 49V with a 1979 231.  I tried to shop for another brand, but in the end I couldn't leave the Mooneys. 

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 6

Dan will be speaking at the Mooney Summit V about his miraculous event, and Sensorcon will be donating some of their Industrial CO detectors that we will have in the raffle. I know most of you have been so moved already like I have to purchase a 'real' CO detector. Dan's story should serve as a reminder to us all about the dangers of NOT having a reliable CO monitor. Dan, we look forward to hearing first hand of what you went thru and the lessons learned.

http://www.kttc.com/story/34416465/update-pilot-walks-away-from-plane-crash-near-ellendale

• Like 1

Bob, yes it was a crack in the muffler.  Right in the center on the top side, running along one of those ridges.  

Mike, thanks for the invitation to the summit.  My wife and I are really looking forward to it. I think it's partially the reason I bought another Mooney. I couldn't show up in a Bonanza:)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DanM20C said:

Bob, yes it was a crack in the muffler.  Right in the center on the top side, running along one of those ridges.  

Mike, thanks for the invitation to the summit.  My wife and I are really looking forward to it. I think it's partially the reason I bought another Mooney. I couldn't show up in a Bonanza:)

That would be in bad form, albeit a king air would be ok. We have had one tbm850, a lake amphibian and a couple of King airs at the previous Summits. I am sure the board will give you a pass on whatever you show up in. Congrats on your new Mooney!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

That would be in bad form, albeit a king air would be ok. We have had one tbm850, a lake amphibian and a couple of King airs at the previous Summits. I am sure the board will give you a pass on whatever you show up in. Congrats on your new Mooney!!

The King Air is more airplane than my mission requires.  If I had the money the TBM would be my transportation to the Summit.

• Like 1

I had a muff crack night Imc. I have a $20 Amazon digital co detection system. The alarm is insanely loud and I quickly saw about 2000ppm on the readout. With the heat off and full air flowing I got it down to 150ppm 

Kidde Battery-Operated Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Dis https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Y6V5CI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_dU4Nzb1K6XZ5X

-Robert 

• Like 1

I was looking at the Sensorcon site checking out their warning systems and I noticed they should be calibrated every six months and must be recalibrate every two years ( I think) or they guite working. It sounds like you need to send the unit back to them for calibration if you don't have a 50 parts per million base line leak to use as a calibration tool. Am I reading that correctly?

6 hours ago, nels said:

I was looking at the Sensorcon site checking out their warning systems and I noticed they should be calibrated every six months and must be recalibrate every two years ( I think) or they guite working. It sounds like you need to send the unit back to them for calibration if you don't have a 50 parts per million base line leak to use as a calibration tool. Am I reading that correctly?

They need the six-month calibration to guarantee  accuracy.  If you never calibrate, they will be still work, but the readings could be inaccurate.  This is true for all detectors.  Without ever calibrating the sensorcon will still give you a level of protection far above that than most home detectors.

I believe the Mooney Summit has acquired a calibration kit and folks will have an opportunity to calibrate once a year there. I'm also considering getting a calibration kit  to help out all of us in the aviation community. The cost to calibrate would then be minimal. Shipping and test gas. Probably <$10 total.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2017 at 9:30 PM, RobertGary1 said:

I had a muff crack night Imc. I have a $20 Amazon digital co detection system. The alarm is insanely loud and I quickly saw about 2000ppm on the readout. With the heat off and full air flowing I got it down to 150ppm 

Kidde Battery-Operated Carbon Monoxide Alarm with Digital Dis https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Y6V5CI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_dU4Nzb1K6XZ5X

-Robert 

Thanks for sharing your story Robert.  I'm glad it turned out the way it did. Keep sharing it With all pilots you run into. It's a good demonstration of how important it is to have detection.

I'm still skeptical of the home detectors. They should alarm in a catastrophic situation, but many won't with low level CO exposure.  Long term low level exposure can have disastrous results. 

Another benifit of a high resolution low level detector is catching a problem early, when it is convenient to address.  I suspect a sensorcon would have alerted both of us to a problem well before an emergency situation. 

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DanM20C said:

Thanks for sharing your story Robert.  I'm glad it turned out the way it did. Keep sharing it With all pilots you run into. It's a good demonstration of how important it is to have detection.

I'm still skeptical of the home detectors. They should alarm in a catastrophic situation, but many won't with low level CO exposure.  Long term low level exposure can have disastrous results. 

Another benifit of a high resolution low level detector is catching a problem early, when it is convenient to address.  I suspect a sensor on would have alerted both of us to a problem well before an emergency situation. 

Cheers,

Dan

It also shows that the stick on co patches on the dash are not helpful for these scenarios. They aren't going to immediately get your attention and they aren't going to help you mitigate it (i.e. You really need the digital display to help you determine if you've reduced you co exposure or if the emergency is ongoing)

-Robert

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DanM20C said:

2 hours ago, DanM20C said:

They need the six-month calibration to guarantee  accuracy.  If you never calibrate, they will be still work, but the readings could be inaccurate.  This is true for all detectors.  Without ever calibrating the sensorcon will still give you a level of protection far about that than most home detectors.

I believe the Mooney Summit has acquired a calibration kit and folks will have an opportunity to calibrate once a year there. I'm also considering getting a calibration kit  to help out all of us in the aviation community. The cost to calibrate would then be minimal. Shipping and test gass. Probably <$10 total.

I have reached out to Caleb Dembitsky of Sensorcon to obtain a calibration kit, and have a PM into you Dan about it since you also want one. I can think of no one better to administer this service for the Mooney Summit if you want that role going forward, Dan.

Copied this from their paperwork:

WARRANTY:
The Inspector has a one year warranty on all of its parts. It is recommended that you calibrate the Inspector every six months. If you do not calibrate it then there is a good chance it will not provide an accurate measurement. If a calibration is never performed an EOL (End of Life) icon will display on the LCD after two years of use. A successful calibration postpones an EOL for 180 days. 

Does EOL mean it no longer functions?

20 minutes ago, nels said:

WARRANTY:
The Inspector has a one year warranty on all of its parts. It is recommended that you calibrate the Inspector every six months. If you do not calibrate it then there is a good chance it will not provide an accurate measurement. If a calibration is never performed an EOL (End of Life) icon will display on the LCD after two years of use. A successful calibration postpones an EOL for 180 days. 

I believe the EOL displays just after start up then the unit functions normally (possibly not as accurate).  I will verify with Sensorcon on Monday and report back.

cheers,

Dan

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:16 AM, DanM20C said:

They need the six-month calibration to guarantee  accuracy.  If you never calibrate, they will be still work, but the readings could be inaccurate.  This is true for all detectors.  Without ever calibrating the sensorcon will still give you a level of protection far above that than most home detectors.

I believe the Mooney Summit has acquired a calibration kit and folks will have an opportunity to calibrate once a year there. I'm also considering getting a calibration kit  to help out all of us in the aviation community. The cost to calibrate would then be minimal. Shipping and test gas. Probably <$10 total.

Dan has graciously agreed to administer the CO detector calibration for the Mooney Summit. I have purchased a calibration kit from Sensorcon

Sensorcon is donating a couple of CO detectors to be included in the Mooney Summit raffle. Thanks @DEB @DANM20C for running point and making this all happen for the Mooney community!

• Like 2

On 8/26/2017 at 7:27 PM, nels said:

WARRANTY:

Sensorcon did verify that the unit will continue to operate after the EOL.  They say the accuracy drifts +/- 2ppm every 6 months, so they could be +/-8ppm off at the 2 year mark.

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

@81-201  I'm glad you got one, and Welcome to Mooneyspace!  Where are you located?   

I spoke with Sensorcon a few weeks ago and they promised to keep the discount code active for the time being. 

At that time 548 had been sold under the discount code.  At least 549 now!

Cheers,

Dan

• Like 3

@DanM20C home base for me is KPWA (Wiley Post) in Oklahoma City.  I read the entire thread about your experience...I'm glad you lived to tell your story.  I've learned quite a bit about CO poisoning since starting to read about your experience.  At annual last April a bulge in the muffler was found and a new muffler was installed....what if...?  I can't wait to get out there and test her like many others have written about in the other thread.  I have a long cross country coming up in several days and will be exploring with the best place to keep/mount this new unit.

I forgot my shameless plug for the folks at Sensorcon.

I called them shortly after ordering mine (i.e. 2 minutes after getting the order confirmation email) and explained my strong desire to never fly again without their unit onboard.  Being a Friday afternoon I was expecting to hear that they would try to get it out Monday.  When I explained I plan to fly a 700NM leg Wednesday the lady said she'd rush and get it out today.  5 minutes later I had the shipping confirmation email and the unit will arrive Monday.  Very strong customer service!

disclosure - I have no business whatsoever with Sensorcon, just thought great customer service should be recognized and publicly appreciated.

• Like 2

On Dans advice I purchased a sensorcon when I got home from Summit 5 last year. Dan what a great piece of kit! I can’t recommend enough that EVERYBODY purchase a Co detector. Cheapest life insurance you’ll ever find