My first ever 'for real' go around

ragedracer1977

2 hours ago, steingar said:

I've never gone around in the runway environment in 16 years of flying.

Wow . . . My first "real" go around was the day i soloed. One good landing, one I saved with a blip of power, a go around from being high (my wife called it a photo pass), and one good landing. Still do them from time to time if its not right on short final.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steingar said:

I've never gone around in the runway environment in 16 years of flying.

Wow . . . My first "real" go around was the day i soloed. One good landing, one I saved with a blip of power, a go around from being high (my wife called it a photo pass), and one good landing. Still do them from time to time if its not right on short final.

8 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

400 plus hours in a C and never touched the carb heat.
You're not flying a Cessna 152. The Mooney M20C just doesn't make carb ice.

Want to bet?,,,,not sure how we would do that but.............

The M20c can get ice.....even in climb out........

• Like 1

I think my last go-around was because I hadn't managed to determine for certain whether the gear was down on an Arrow.  Turned out whoever flew it previously turned the lamp intensity down at night so that the green lights weren't illuminating enough to be visible during the day.   Figured it out on downwind after the go-around.   No regrets at all.

2 minutes ago, EricJ said:

I think my last go-around was because I hadn't managed to determine for certain whether the gear was down on an Arrow.  Turned out whoever flew it previously turned the lamp intensity down at night so that the green lights weren't illuminating enough to be visible during the day.   Figured it out on downwind after the go-around.   No regrets at all.

I *almost* went around on Sunday morning.  My buddy and I flew to Payson for breakfast.  On the way back in, it was busy.  You know how it gets on a nice weekend morning.  I got routed to 7L.  Number 4.  Then number 3, finally got #2 as I turned final.  But I don't think he ever said clear to land.  I was getting lower and lower and lower and I couldn't get a word in edgewise.  About 1/8 Mike final and 100 AGL or so (I was over the fence!) I finally got a word in and said "verify 16u clear to land".  My hand was on the throttle ready to go when he came back with affirmative.  I still don't know if he ever actually cleared me to land prior, but I wasn't going to put her down till I knew for sure

It has been a few years since I've had a real go-around.  I'm not sure it's the last time, but he most memorable was with my wife on board (one of her first flights) and her father sitting in the FBO.  I was way too fast on approach into Austin Executive- tried to put her down too soon and went bounce - bounce - jammed the throttle forward and got out of there.  Greased it on after flying the pattern, but that wasn't fun. 

The good news about that trip is that 1) TCU beat UT in Austin on Thanksgiving weekend, and 2) her memory is flying over I35 Thanksgiving traffic.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thinwing said:

Depending on how low I am when I break out or how close to runway determines the quality of my landings!...usually I am 10 kts fast so I am burning up a lot of runway!

At 100' per knot, you're giving away 1000' of runway . . . . Be careful if you go somewhere like my home field, 3200' long.

At 100' per knot, you're giving away 1000' of runway . . . . Be careful if you go somewhere like my home field, 3200' long.

Instrument runways are very rarely shorter than 3500', and the majority are 4000 or more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go around are pretty rare, but there is one I doubt I'll ever forget since I went around 3 times before landing. Coming in to Mulege, a dirt strip in Baja, for a whale petting trip. On short final we see a pair of dogs in the middle of the runway. We're hoping they'll move off, but of course they don't so we initiate the go around. As we get over them we see the dogs are mating - right on the runway! We announced on the radio we were going around for 2 dogs mating on runway. We come around for a second attempt and can't believe they are still going at! This time we announced another go around and asked for assistance to clear the dogs. A low pass didn't interrupt a thing. On third attempt someone from the hotel drove a truck onto the run way to chase them off, but we had to go around for a final third time before we had the runway to ourselves for landing. Could not believe the stamina of that dog, nor its determination to finish the deed!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You can do yourself a favor and save one step in the process by leaving the carb heat off. No need for it during landing with our tightly cowled Lycomings.

On cooler days I my '68 C will often start to lose RPM due to carb ice shortly after setting 1700 for mag check, etc. If I do the carb heat check immediately the ice clears and doesn't return, even if I'm left idling for a long time waiting for t/o.

30 minutes ago, 170driver said:

On cooler days I my '68 C will often start to lose RPM due to carb ice shortly after setting 1700 for mag check, etc. If I do the carb heat check immediately the ice clears and doesn't return, even if I'm left idling for a long time waiting for t/o.

Do you do the Carb Heat check right after engine start? I've never noticed an RPM loss at runup.

Do you do the Carb Heat check right after engine start? I've never noticed an RPM loss at runup.

My checklist calls for mag checks, then prop exercise, mixture check, and finally carb heat. If I get ice during the mag check I'll skip to the carb heat check & then pick up at the mag check again.

The idea of not using carb heat during landing blows my mind. The way you'd notice you needed carb heat in cruise would be an unexplained loss of power with other wise no change in settings. During landing you're manipulating the power settings and probably judging by the RPM since the prop is out of goverance. Same RPM gives same desired power if you're out of governance so everything would seem fine. You might notice the throttle feels a bit different (I'm figuring you'd have to give it a bit more throttle) to get the same power but I think it would sneak up on you.

Finally you decide you need it and pull Carb Heat and start melting the ice. All the stories I've heard are that the engine coughs and sputters a bit and then finally roars back to life. I would never want to go through that on short final, or even anywhere in the pattern.

Power loss if you forgot and left the heat on in a go around would be minimal. You'd still have plenty to get climbing. Your very ROP takeoff setting would be even richer with carb heat on since hot air is thinner (same takeoff fuel flow) so no worries about detonation.

I don't quite treat the owners manual like a bible but I'll go with it here. 

Check out 

"By Don Maxwell
Contributing Editor

Mooney Airplane Pilots Association

MAPA LOG, Published MAPA, Volume 24, Number 4
April 2001

This article actually came about after a call from Bob Kromer. Bob mentioned that the Mooney community had experienced a high number of carburetor ice incidents this season and that the NTSB had called with some concerns."

Edited by pinerunner
more info
  • Like 2

If you are going to use carb heat for landing, start before you are at a low power setting....

It doesn't make much sense to do it on final approach where small adjustments to power effect the trajectory...

If it starts melting ice, final approach at low power, would be the last place you want it to happen...

PP thoughts only not a CFI...

Best regards,

-a-

Kinda funny, I mentioned I don't like going around once the wheels hit the ground, because of the obvious issues with trim and flaps and whatnot.  I detailed in another thread my disastrous flight over the weekend, once aspect of which was forgetting to readjust the  trim and flaps on takeoff.  By the time I got the gear up I was three miles an hour away from a departure stall, the closest I've ever been outside of training.

The one saving grace is that had I gotten into a departure stall I've had have plenty of room to recover.  Damn that airplane can climb fast!

+1 for electric trim...   ^^^

Easy to keep your eyes out the window while flying the plane.  The trim switch can take a beating, while the brain is pretty occupied with everything else...

If you like the C's climb rate in August, you'll really like the VS in January.

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

If you like the C's climb rate in August, you'll really like the VS in January.

Especially in Ohio, when solo early in the morning!  :D   Wish I could remember what the VSI said that breakfast run when the wife stayed home because it was 8º outside . . .

• Like 1