G5 without external GPS antenna

RobertGary1

1 minute ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Check it, Robert, but unfortunately I think a certified installation requires either an external antenna or a piggyback off of a specifically enumerated panel-mounted WAAS GPS. 

Jim

Well that's what I thought but the Garmin dealer is telling me that if the signal is sufficient the external antenna isn't required. The shop is 2 hours drive away so I don't want to have to return if I end up needing it.

I'm also installing a GTX345 with internal WAAS but he says they won't share.

-Robert

Edited by RobertGary1

Here is what I see in the install manual...

"The G5 includes a built-in GPS receiver with an internal antenna that can be used in many installations. A Garmin or non-Garmin GPS antenna is optional for G5 installations when not using the G5's internal GPS antenna. See Section 1.4 for supported antennas and antenna requirements."

8 minutes ago, Godfather said:

The external antenna or waas source is required for the G5 installed in the AI or TC location. It is not required if installing in the DG/HSI location. However, the magnetometer is required if installing in the DG location. 

Can you reference the manual section? I only ask because there are a lot of rumors about the install but I want to point the Garmin dealer to something citable.

-Robert

23 minutes ago, Godfather said:

Sounds like a good reason to get a 201 style windshield mod...

No way.  I love easy access to the back. A friend of mine has the mod and it's a huge pain trying to find children to put their hands in the little panels. 

I end up there at annual but also seems like no shortage of electrical things to trace down  

-Robert