Goodbye, Farewell, Auf Weidersein

XXX

1 hour ago, Hank said:

They do that here in nowhere, Alabama too. Drives me crazy!

That, and the 3-5 second pause at Stop signs . . . .

Completely off topic, but I didn't start it. :)

The one thing I remember from living in Alabama 25 years ago was the habit that everyone had of putting their blinker on if the person in front of them was turning. I guess they thought it would help the person behind them know why they were slowing down. I would shake my head when three people had their blinkers on, the first one would turn and the next two would turn their blinker off and keep going straight. 

• Sad 1

Just now, Skates97 said:

The one thing I remember from living in Alabama 25 years ago was the habit that everyone had of putting their blinker on if the person in front of them was turning. I guess they thought it would help the person behind them know why they were slowing down. I would shake my head when three people had their blinkers on, the first one would turn and the next two would turn their blinker off and keep going straight. 

That ain't just in Alabama! But it may be a Southern thing, used to see it all the time in high school in Georgia. I see it a lot less here in LA (Lower Alabama).

3 minutes ago, Hank said:

That ain't just in Alabama! But it may be a Southern thing, used to see it all the time in high school in Georgia. I see it a lot less here in LA (Lower Alabama).

LA, we used to call it that when I was in Montgomery, Selma, and Tuskegee. The locals knew what we were talking about, everyone else was confused thinking we were referring to the left coast where I live now. 

38 minutes ago, mooniac58 said:

I simply warned a couple users to stop talking politics in the forums...and politely.  No bans, etc.  Just deleted the posts that did not belong and warned those that I deleted.

If that is too much for you then I guess farewell and safe flying. B)

Snarky.  Me thinks.  Other comments withheld.  Would not want to "make it personal"...you know like attacking where you live, your wife, your vehicle, your career...You know "personal stuff" that doesn't get some banned, but does others.

Talk to the hand Nobody thinks.

Selective penalties.  Muzzles.  Calling yourself "fair" as the absolute power is a little sketchy, me thinks...

33 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

It's the Borg.  Resistance is futile....

Snarky.  Me thinks.  Other comments withheld.  Would not want to "make it personal"...you know like attacking where you live, your wife, your vehicle, your career...You know "personal stuff" that doesn't get some banned, but does others.
Talk to the hand Nobody thinks.
Selective penalties.  Muzzles.  Calling yourself "fair" as the absolute power is a little sketchy, me thinks...

Did you try reporting the post (upper right)?
You can also add members to ignore list, and do your own administration.

4 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Did you try reporting the post (upper right)?
You can also add members to ignore list, and do your own administration.

Thank you, yes.  The thread was moderated.  My posts and other member had deletions.  I was banned.  He was not.  His attack was personal...a banning offense.  I called him a flushing of a woman's private area for hygiene purposes.  That gets you banned even though they are advertised on t.v.

That said, I respect the fact that it is "his" forum.  I triple dog dare you to find where I have initiated politics since epic thread that shall not be named.  Have not done "it", but I do respond when others drop in with some political rants as is done OFTEN.  You'll have that.

Per mile 

7 minutes ago, Mooney_Mike said:

Where is the data on that? I find it hard to believe that GA is much more dangerous than driving a car. Considering about 35,000 to 40,000 a year are killed in the USA in car accidents alone.

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/198/how-dangerous-is-flying-in-a-single-engine-plane

Private aircraft have a fatality rate about 19 times greater than driving. It is also true that a majority of the accidents that occur are pilot error (71%) and could have been prevented. 

There are risks involved when taking to the sky as a private pilot and understanding these risks is part of the continual learning process. The key to safety is performing careful planning, keeping current and proficient, knowing when to cancel flights or turn around and not to exceed your capabilities or the capabilities of your aircraft.

25 minutes ago, Mooney_Mike said:

Now you're telling us flying private is nearly 20 times as dangerous as driving? 

That link you quoted cherry picked a paragraph out of the article "Why Private Planes Are Nearly as Deadly as Cars"  "https://www.livescience.com/49701-private-planes-safety.html"

I take offence to that "meaningless statistic" because the safety of your flight largely depends upon you the pilot.

Where in a car not so much. You have fools texting, drinking, speeding, talking on the phone, road rage... they can all kill you no matter how careful you are.

No reason to take offense. You asked for a source I gave you only one. There are many others. Don’t shoot the messenger. That comment in the article was made after the numbers were mentioned. As JIm mentioned if you have a source that shows contrary statistics feel free to share. 

Common sense says that inherently flying is going to be more dangerous. If the engine stops in a car you pull over and call a tow truck. A fire in a car means you get out and get away from the car. In cars you are dealing with front and back and to the side, altitude and controlled flight into terrain is not usually a factor. True you are a lot closer to other traffic in a car, but most collisions don’t result in a serious injury, much less a fatality. I could go on but they are two different forms of transportation each with their own risks. We accept those risks and still choose to fly small airplanes. The fatality rates continue to decline in cars because of better brakes, air bags, etc.

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

Per mile 

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/198/how-dangerous-is-flying-in-a-single-engine-plane

Private aircraft have a fatality rate about 19 times greater than driving. It is also true that a majority of the accidents that occur are pilot error (71%) and could have been prevented. 

There are risks involved when taking to the sky as a private pilot and understanding these risks is part of the continual learning process. The key to safety is performing careful planning, keeping current and proficient, knowing when to cancel flights or turn around and not to exceed your capabilities or the capabilities of your aircraft.

Also consider, that takes into account some riskier aviation activities; Flight instruction, ag flying, aeromedical, Alaska...Outside of that, private flying gets significantly safer and isn't 20x riskier, but yeah, Lance is probably right, approaching as risky as Motorcycles...  But that risk is reduced depending on what type of flying and decreasing pilot error rates...

38 minutes ago, jrwilson said:

Also consider, that takes into account some riskier aviation activities; Flight instruction, ag flying, aeromedical, Alaska...Outside of that, private flying gets significantly safer and isn't 20x riskier, but yeah, Lance is probably right, approaching as risky as Motorcycles...  But that risk is reduced depending on what type of flying and decreasing pilot error rates...

HOLY CRAP THAT'S A HUGE SIGNATURE MAP

11 minutes ago, jrwilson said:

That's what she said....

Also I don't know how to make the map smaller.

upper right, click on your user name, account settings, signature. Click on the map, grab a corner and drag diagonally to shrink it.

• Like 1

On our Facebook page, someone posted a picture of an Odyssey battery in his Mooney, which is not FAA/PMA and caused quite a ruckus. Whoever managed that page banned a few A&P/IA's from the page who were trying to convince OP to reconsider as the install was illegal. One poster I know in person, I met with him yesterday and he was displeased with both online communities. If he has a profile on here, I'm not sure of it. But he's a book of knowledge.

It's all a damn shame

11 minutes ago, Mooney_Mike said:

I have hard time buying into the stats these articles like to quote. GA compared to driving is "apples to oranges". There is no metric on miles flown, no metric on hours flown, they lump cessna 150's in with jets. They used 150 MPH X a total guess of fleet hours to get their death rate per mile.

GA is probably no more dangerous than driving as a whole, and significantly safer than driving if you conduct your flying in a professional manner.

Keep telling yourself that, someday you'll have yourself convinced. Airline flights on major carriers per mile flown are safer than miles driven because there are a lot of miles racked up between the two most critical phases of flight, takeoff and landing. Also the Crew Resource Management and the level of recurrent training add tremendously to their safety record. When it comes to GA, every statistic says otherwise. As an example, many Cirrus pilots want to believe that since they have a parachute their safety record is much better than other similar single engine airplanes without parachutes. The problem is that the numbers don't support that.

• Like 2