Control rod Corrosion- common and ignorable?

Firebird2xc

Perusing photos of used airplanes. See some light corrosion on an airplane.  My anal military maintenance side wants to furiously scrub it all clean with an abrasive pad then drown it in CPC.  My civilian pilot side says it's just outer plating corrosion and not to worry about it.

I figured I'd let those here who are more knowledgeable help me...

What's the score, Mooniacs?

IMG_6123.JPG

38 minutes ago, Firebird2xc said:

Perusing photos of used airplanes. See some light corrosion on an airplane.  My anal military maintenance side wants to furiously scrub it all clean with an abrasive pad then drown it in CPC.  My civilian pilot side says it's just outer plating corrosion and not to worry about it.

IMG_6123.JPG

I'd be more concerned about all the crap sitting on the belly skins. 

• Like 1

Concerned? Yes.  Worried? No, not yet.  

The trim tube that rotates is aluminum, that can be cleaned up pretty nicely and checked for corrosion.  The actual pushrods for the elevator and rudder are steel and should be stripped, all rust removed (mechanically would be okay) and inspected to ensure that not more than 10% of the wall thickness was damaged or removed.  Then prime and paint.  And as Terry said, above, while you're back there removing your pushrods, crawl as far back as possible and clean the gunk out of the belly and check for corrosion on the aluminum skins and extruded aluminum longerons.

When you're done with that, you can look in the belly at your next annual at your rusty control and landing gear pushrods there. Have fun.

Attached are before and after of mine.

IMG_0469.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Andy95W said:

Concerned? Yes.  Worried? No, not yet.  

The trim tube that rotates is aluminum, that can be cleaned up pretty nicely and checked for corrosion.  The actual pushrods for the elevator and rudder are steel and should be stripped, all rust removed (mechanically would be okay) and inspected to ensure that not more than 10% of the wall thickness was damaged or removed.  Then prime and paint.  And as Terry said, above, while you're back there removing your pushrods, crawl as far back as possible and clean the gunk out of the belly and check for corrosion on the aluminum skins and extruded aluminum longerons.

When you're done with that, you can look in the belly at your next annual at your rusty control and landing gear pushrods there. Have fun.

Attached are before and after of mine.

IMG_0469.JPG

IMG_0474.JPG

Not to sound stupid but how did you clean the skins,  The wax on wax off way or did you use a machine?

3 hours ago, Firebird2xc said:

IMG_6123.JPG

It's a very common condition in Mooney airframes, they were primed but no top coated.  Remove, clean, prime and paint as in Andy's pictures.  The same issue exists with the steel cage.

Clarence

1 hour ago, M20Doc said:

It's a very common condition in Mooney airframes, they were primed but no top coated.  Remove, clean, prime and paint as in Andy's pictures.  The same issue exists with the steel cage.

Clarence

Okay, good to know, thank you.

3 hours ago, Dream to fly said:

Not to sound stupid but how did you clean the skins,  The wax on wax off way or did you use a machine?

3 hours ago, Dream to fly said:

Scotch bright?  or is there chemical spray

Yup, Scotch Brite and a crap load of elbow grease.  Lacquer thinner to remove old paint overspray and zinc chromate primer a previous owner had sprayed around the tail.  I had a fan blowing fresh air through the tail so I didn't pass out.  Finished it with CorrosionX.

• Like 2

On 8/21/2017 at 6:35 PM, M20Doc said:

Clarence

I noticed the same thing on my steel cage.  very minor areas on the bottom side in a few sites.  Did exactly as you said.

• Like 1