The Tach Froze Up--Replacement suggestion?

Dcflyn

The tach in our '66 M20E started moving wildly 30 minutes in to an hour long flight, then made really loud buzzing/whining sounds, then it went dead. I pulled the sheath from the engine and the cable had broken about two inches from the end. Then I pulled the tach, inserted the cable into the tach, and it wouldn't turn. Frozen! Do you have a suggestion on what we should use as a replacement (with a light)? Thanks.

Cables wear,  the result is a bouncing rpm needle, followed by inaccurate over speed and underspeed indications and finally the needle pegs the red line and knocks the needle off the gauge....

A new cable isn't very expensive...  OHing the gauge can pretty cheap too...

A new instrument from EI would probably be better...

My C got a replacement tach from eBay... it came with the cable attached...

Note: It is hard to set the power level with inaccurate (MP and RPM) gauges...

From the CB files of how to own a C on a low budget... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Be very careful about the length of the replacement tach cable. The shop that replaced mine, order it slightly too long and it trashed the tach. Instead of repair it, I went with the EI electronic gauge. Provides additional information like max rpm experienced and a few other features.

From this:

e2e33cb3164d5e3f75b5d9d08902f138.jpg

To this:

83f37f82dd74066d8d329e7ca0e73aca.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• 1 month later...

Follow up: Replaced the cable and tach (Mitchell). I had them send the 36" cable, the same length as was pulled out, but it turned out to be so long that we had to bend and turn the cable to take up the slack. What happened is that the coupling pulled into the sheath and wouldn't enguage the tach. We measured and ordered a shorter one. It looked like it wasn't going to be long enough, but it fit perfectly. Now tach is super smooth (and I suspect accurate!). Thanks for your help, fellas.

• Like 1