Well, not good reading.

Mcstealth

Cirrus continues to dominate the piston market, selling nearly a third of all piston airplanes in the first half of 2017, but the growth came from Cessna. In the first half of 2016, Cessna sold only 65 airplanes. That number is up to 90 this year, mostly from the 51 Cessna 172s the Kansas-based company delivered to their owners. Despite certification of the new Mooney M20U Ovation Ultra and M20V Acclaim Ultra earlier this year, the legendary Texas company was unable to ship a single airplane in Q2—down from 2 airplanes in Q1.

Saw this snipitt and thought I would share. :(:(

1 minute ago, mccdeuce said:

I looked hard at your Rocket. It's just about twice the value of my J and then I would have zero money to build my Glasair. 

You are correct the ESP is a great aircraft but alas also out of my price range. (There's a good ESP for sale here in NC)

For the 300ish k they go for, I think they're quite a value. We can't swing it either. We're probably going sr22tn

I don't think that will surprise too many. If I was in the market for a 850k airplane the Mooney wouldn't even make the list.

At that price point you can being travelling in pressurized comfort with a cabin class arrangement and $$$ to spare if you went into a Malibu series. Heck you could even get a real hot Lancair IV-P.

So I'm not surprised at the lack of orders. There are plenty of decent fast moving twins on the market and with the money you saved you could pay to train, insure, maintain. Plus many of those types have leasing potential when you are not using it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/18/2017 at 2:44 PM, mccdeuce said:

I looked hard at your Rocket. It's just about twice the value of my J and then I would have zero money to build my Glasair. 

You are correct the ESP is a great aircraft but alas also out of my price range. (There's a good ESP for sale here in NC)

Which Glasair?

On 8/18/2017 at 2:46 PM, peevee said:

For the 300ish k they go for, I think they're quite a value. We can't swing it either. We're probably going sr22tn

Have you considered the A36 or G36 Bonanza? I know it doesn't have the parachute, but the big rear doors would make loading easier for Angel Flight. 

Edited by Cooperd0g

6 hours ago, Guitarmaster said:

Agreed. This kind of cash for an unpressurized single is insane.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

And the price of a new, non-pressurized, fixed gear, turbo Cirrus is what? Yeah, the plane that "dominated the shipments of piston aircraft" is higher priced than the Acclaim Ultra...

• Like 2

And the price of a new, non-pressurized, fixed gear, turbo Cirrus is what? Yeah, the plane that "dominated the shipments of piston aircraft" is higher priced than the Acclaim Ultra...
It's an insane price for any unpressurized single.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The crazy thing to me is the cost of a new plane compared to an older one. The Ultra is 3-4x a nice used ovation or 6-8x a nice J. And what capability does the new one have that the older one doesn't? An extra door. I would rather have a 10 year old ovation that has been well cared for and upgraded than a new one. The only way a new one works is through bonus depreciation. 

5 hours ago, Cooperd0g said:

Which Glasair?

Super 2 Taildagger.  It's going to be the sports car while the Mooney is my Sedan.

1 hour ago, PMcClure said:

The crazy thing to me is the cost of a new plane compared to an older one. The Ultra is 3-4x a nice used ovation or 6-8x a nice J. And what capability does the new one have that the older one doesn't? An extra door. I would rather have a 10 year old ovation that has been well cared for and upgraded than a new one. The only way a new one works is through bonus depreciation. 

That's where the best option would be an Ovation with experimental avionics and some sort of engine that wasn't designed in the 40s. (One of the issues with exp is not a ton of good 4 seat options)

9 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Lower price doesn't seem to be boosting sales at Mooney. Innovation seems to be helping Cirrus.

Clarence

I'd argue that innovation,  product support, upgrade paths, WAAS, better selection of Garmin packages, dual AHRS etc have just as much impact as the CAPS does.  Just look at the thread here on G1000 and system 55X.

Cirrus is out competing everyone, their sales numbers prove it.

Clarence

Competition is good for the market. Cirrus is the iPhone/tesla user that trades in a lot for the newest one. I'm told that nobody buys a base cirrus sr22 g6 even though the g6 has some serious upgrades over a loaded G5. 

a retractable 4/5 seat 200 knot airplane has got some serious marketability. I think it comes down to three things that are repeatedly mentioned on this board.

1. Increase the useful load to 3600-3800

2. Apply the acclaim aerodynamic cleanups to the ovation (it's time for the ovation to be the new 205)

3. Add a safety feature like BRS, auto assist landing in engine outs. Or even just a program on the avionics that calculates your best three options (kind of like the wazes app when you are driving somewhere.

marketing wise I'd get actual user testimony and flights. 'Hey I fly to Chicago, New York and Boston routinely in my ovation' that 3:45 minute trip in my ovation used to be 6 in my sr22 with the stop I had to make'

Cheaper then first class and faster

p.s. Quit screwing around and get the acclaim to 350 hp.