Air force light attack ....Air Tractor?

XXX

After seeing a new one up close and now this video, I'm wondering why did it take so long to integrate this capability into DoD. Talk about close-in-support capability... Wonder what it would take to make that thing pilot-less and controlled from the battlefield. 

Edited by jonhop

The leader in this light attack build race in my opinion is called IOMAX (http://www.iomax.net/archangel/).  They are currently building these at the field in my home town which is why I can't hanger there and have to drive an hour to the next closest field to base.  If the reports are accurate then they just signed an order with the country of Jordan for 124 units.  Neat aircraft, just wish the business was more friendly to their surroundings.  The signing of this order may give them the financial backing they need to move to more conducive facilities allowing the field they are currently on (14A) to bring some folks back that were persuaded to move elsewhere.  Wishful thinking maybe, we'll see.

Ron

Thrush also made an entry.  Note that all their sales are overseas.  The Air Force has been trying to get rid of the A-10 for decades; do you really think they want these?  And they will fight letting the Army buy them, too.

Damn, I would like to fly one, though!  Any forward-firing ordinance is great, but rockets are a real kick in the ass to shoot!

I used to work on Joe Henderson's Air Tractors before he crashed. I never got to fly one, but I got to start the engines to make sure my repairs to the electrical system were effective. 

They don't go very fast and according to Joe they wouldn't fly over 200 AGL but they will carry a tremendous load and you can fly circles under telephone lines fully loaded.