Garmin G-5 to control autopilots!!

Seth

The stc does not cover installation in a standby position. You could get a field approval or put it in your T&B location. Also can't place it in the AI position because you have a flight director. 

I think the G5 makes a perfect standby but you will probably need some kind of shop approval to work outside the stc. 

Now that Garmin has a hsi, AP, etc I wonder if they will change the wording of the flight director limitation?

3 hours ago, PMcClure said:

My electric standby AI went out this weekend and I was thinking of replacing it with the G5. Taking steps toward the G5 primary and replacing the KFC 2225 with a Garmin A/P someday. Questions:

1. Anyone has experience with installation costs on the G5 in the standby position?

2. Could I/Should I consider moving the G5 to the primary location and the KI265 to the standby?

3. Or should I just replace the standby with another standby?

I had a KFC225 in an Ovation and it was the best Autopilot I've flown behind. I have never tried the Garmin GFC700 though.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been reading forum threads for hours and I can't get a definitive answer on installing a G5 with a legacy Century IIB. Do I have to retain the original AI to provide attitude data to the Century IIB? I thought I saw something from PoA forum from a Garmin rep indicating that the G5 will not be able to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been reading forum threads for hours and I can't get a definitive answer on installing a G5 with a legacy Century IIB. Do I have to retain the original AI to provide attitude data to the Century IIB? I thought I saw something from PoA forum from a Garmin rep indicating that the G5 will not be able to do that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, any auto-pilot that requires an AI input will have to retain that AI as Garmin's G5 will not provide attitude info to legacy systems, only the GFC500.

If you install a G5 + GAD29B as an HSI, you're partway down the path to a GFC500 installation in the future, so if that is on your radar it might be a good choice for HSI replacement today.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

I think that what you're referring to from the Garmin rep is that the stc will not allow for the installation of a G5 HSI only setup, even if you are still using some other brand to output attitude thru the gad29 to legacy autopilots. I hope I got that wrong. 

18 minutes ago, jackn said:

I think that what you're referring to from the Garmin rep is that the stc will not allow for the installation of a G5 HSI only setup, even if you are still using some other brand to output attitude thru the gad29 to legacy autopilots. I hope I got that wrong. 

A G5 HSI only install is fine. You could do a two G5 install and just move your current AI to a standby location where it can continue outputting AI info to the AP.