Garmin G-5 to control autopilots!!

Seth

I have two G5's on order. One will replace my AH and the other my DG and one CDI.  My avionics guy says the G5 HSI will work with my 430w and stec30.   My stec dg goes away as does the gpss box.  

Garmin shows it all shipping on Oct 14.

http://newsroom.garmin.com/press-release/featured-releases/garmin-announces-third-party-autopilot-support-g5-electronic-flight-

this link shows the heading mode and gpss should work like my current setup.

I'm looking forward to the upgrade.

• Like 3

I have two G5's on order. One will replace my AH and the other my DG and one CDI.  My avionics guy says the G5 HSI will work with my 430w and stec30.   My stec dg goes away as does the gpss box.  
http://newsroom.garmin.com/press-release/featured-releases/garmin-announces-third-party-autopilot-support-g5-electronic-flight-

Looking forward to a PIREP since I have almost the same setup. Would love to add an HSI, remove a CDI and the GPSS module so long as the G5 can provide GPSSQ natively with a GNS box.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Did you get an estimate? I'm still waiting for a response.

My only worry is where the Mooney will fit into Garmin's trajectory:

GFC 500 STCed for 172, with 182, and PA-28 to follow soon.

GFC 600 STCed for Bonanza A36 and Baron B55 with B58 to follow soon.

Mooney M20C and M20E's sound like they'd be similar to the 500

Mooney M20M, M20R, M20S, M20TN, M20U, and M20V's sound like they may end up in the GFC 600 range which is 3X the price.

I'm curious where the mid body would fit?

Or will they consider a four place airplane GFC 500 territory even though the performance is better than certain 6 seat aircraft?

No reason to waste any more brain function on this potential dilemma, as we'll find out when we find out - but it may change pricing and make me continue to repair or replace King Components, like roll servos (just had to purchase a replacement unit)  as they are removed from aircraft moving up to the GFC 500.

-Seth

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Seth said:

Mooney M20M, M20R, M20S, M20TN, M20U, and M20V's sound like they may end up in the GFC 600 range which is 3X the price.

Or will they consider a four place airplane GFC 500 territory even though the performance is better than certain 6 seat aircraft?

I am thinking Garmin will certify the same autopilot for all Mooneys, in other words but the lowly C and the mighty R will both have the same type of autopilot approved for them, and I would lean towards the GFC500 if I had to guess. The wing and flight controls are way too similar between all Mooneys to make it worth the effort on Garmins part to change the STC mid-way through the M20 models. 

• Like 2

Just now, N6758N said:

I am thinking Garmin will certify the same autopilot for all Mooneys, in other words but the lowly C and the mighty R will both have the same type of autopilot approved for them, and I would lean towards the GFC500 if I had to guess. The wing and flight controls are way too similar between all Mooneys to make it worth the effort on Garmins part to change the STC mid-way through the M20 models. 

I agree with you there.  I'm hoping its the GFC 500 as well from a cost persepcitve.  That being said, the GFC 600 is more robust, but I'm fine with the hardware in the G500.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Seth said:

No reason to waste any more brain function on this potential dilemma, as we'll find out when we find out - but it may change pricing and make me continue to repair or replace King Components, like roll servos (just had to purchase a replacement unit)  as they are removed from aircraft moving up to the GFC 500.

-Seth

Ok,  Ill take a guess.... The Bo's all need a yaw damper, where all Mooney's this isn't needed. I believe the 600 has this capability. The mid body G model surely wont need a 600, and your airframe is the same, just with a few more ponies and larger feed trough.

• Like 1

We'll get the GFC 500. It has been flying higher performance planes in the experimental world for years already.

I wouldn't count on it, at least for the long bodies, in fact I'm expecting the 600 to be required for our fiki airplanes....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Sad 1

I wouldn't count on it, at least for the long bodies, in fact I'm expecting the 600 to be required for our fiki airplanes....

What difference does it make, FIKI or long body? This system has been flying in planes like the Lancair Evolution and others for years now. There is no reason really for the 600 to be required for any Mooney.

• Like 1

What difference does it make, FIKI or long body? This system has been flying in planes like the Lancair Evolution and others for years now. There is no reason really for the 600 to be required for any Mooney.

I believe the 600 servos are waterproof, 500s are not....now imagine you autopilot servos locking up because they're frozen.
I saw a one liner somewhere that called out both FIKI and pressurize planes require the 600.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

I don't think the G5 is legal to install into a FIKI plane at all and the 500 needs the G5 to function. 

I just looked at the G5 AML and all M20 aircraft through the M20S are included, with no limitations. I'm guessing the TN (and new U & V models) weren't included for now since Garmin likely didn't have access to those when developing the AML. They have their own R and J and likely made similarity arguments for all of the other models. If FIKI were an issue, it would certainly show up in the limitations section.

Legacy servos aren't waterproof, and they're not exposed to rain unless you have something wrong with your plane!

Garmin has every right to say that certain Mooneys only get the more expensive model. And they could do it just based on airframe price and perceived owners ability to pay. So I fully expect that the stc at a minimum will require the 600 for fiki. It's their choice.

1 minute ago, gsengle said:

Garmin has every right to say that certain Mooneys only get the more expensive model. And they could do it just based on airframe price and perceived owners ability to pay. So I fully expect that the stc at a minimum will require the 600 for fiki. It's their choice.

I don't see them wasting money on the certification process for 2 different AP systems when the hardware, brackets, etc is virtually identical for all Mooneys. 

I don't see them wasting money on the certification process for 2 different AP systems when the hardware, brackets, etc is virtually identical for all Mooneys. 

And the danger there is we all get pushed to the 600. Or they do the 500 first figuring that the market is more limited for fiki/hp airframes and we get left until much later.