Garmin G-5 to control autopilots!!

Seth

Erik, if I were in your shoes and had HSI trouble with the KFC200, I'd absolutely go for the G5 + GAD29B (when available) to replace the old king stuff. That hardware is likely 3 AMU or a bit less, plus labor. King repairs can easily exceed that with questionable longevity. You'll reduce weight, and be a bit down the path towards full A/P replacement. If you choose to go a different path, you can bet there will be a robust market for likely used G5 bits... if you go for the G5 HSI, have the shop pre-wire for the GFC and other G5 and that will help with the future labor too.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If you end up in a pinch, I'd start with the G3X manuals since the GFC500 is that autopilot so it should be straight forward to figure out required wire runs and specs. The new canbus architecture makes it much simpler than the old stuff!

There are some nice schematics sprinkled in some threads on Beechtalk too.

3 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

Erik, if I were in your shoes and had HSI trouble with the KFC200, I'd absolutely go for the G5 + GAD29B (when available) to replace the old king stuff. That hardware is likely 3 AMU or a bit less, plus labor. King repairs can easily exceed that with questionable longevity. You'll reduce weight, and be a bit down the path towards full A/P replacement. If you choose to go a different path, you can bet there will be a robust market for likely used G5 bits... if you go for the G5 HSI, have the shop pre-wire for the GFC and other G5 and that will help with the future labor too.

My hsi is currently in working order - so I'm thinking about just getting it now and enjoying best trade in value now for my clunky gyro that randomly eats 3-3.5k.  Rather than wait until it breaks.... I would especially do that if I was investing toward a gfc500.  And also enjoy a gpss feature now.

once this thing actually exists...I might do that - and damned the torpedos/if I end up needing to go another direction - eg dynon I guess the G5 will still be worth a lot in resale 

GPSS is a good enough rationalization in my world to make the jump! . Once you make that leap, spending a couple AMU more than the add-on module to get the G5 and then reselling your King stuff is an easy choice. You're right that the used value is declining so now is a great time to do it.

There, wasn't that easy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KSMooniac said:

GPSS is a good enough rationalization in my world to make the jump! emoji3.png. Once you make that leap, spending a couple AMU more than the add-on module to get the G5 and then reselling your King stuff is an easy choice. You're right that the used value is declining so now is a great time to do it.

There, wasn't that easy?

Thanks for being my justification/its-ok-to-buy-airplane-junk-buddy.

our old stuff will decline in resale value rapidly indeed in a way that is an especially good rational to do like I suggested.  I have an annual in oct.  if this thing exists by then I'll probably install then!

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1

The G5 as an HSI to also get GPSS is a huge idea.  Didn't realize that before.  It's $3k to get GPSS on it's own, this way you get to sell your HSI at peak value as a trade in to doing it at the same time.

Also, should you install something else in the future, the G5 could be your glass backup Artificial Horizon. Like if you install a G3X.

Can the G5 as an HSI in an emergency situation flip over to be an artificial horizion?  Another reason to install it now.

-Seth

Edited by Seth

6 minutes ago, Seth said:

The G5 as an HSI to also get GPSS is a huge idea.  Didn't realize that before.  It's $3k to get GPSS on it's own, this way you get to sell your HSI at peak value as a trade in to doing it at the same time.

Also, should you install something else in the future, the G5 could be your glass backup Artificial Horizon. 

Can the G5 as an HSI in an emergency situation flip over to be an artificial horizion?  Another reason to install it now.

-Seth

I just installed a G5 HSI. I will be doing the certification and 337 this afternoon. 

You can switch it to a PFD any time you want. Just push the knob, spin it all the way to the right and push it again.

when I was buying all this stuff I turned down an offer for King HSI system which was just overhauled by Mid Contenent. It looked brand new. They wanted $3000 for it including new install kits. I turned it down and opted for the G5. 

The install of the G5 is simple. Installing the King HSI would be a tremendous amount of work.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Seth said:

1) The G5 as an HSI to also get GPSS is a huge idea.  Didn't realize that before.  It's $3k to get GPSS on it's own, this way you get to sell your HSI at peak value as a trade in to doing it at the same time.

2) Also, should you install something else in the future, the G5 could be your glass backup Artificial Horizon. Like if you install a G3X.

3) Can the G5 as an HSI in an emergency situation flip over to be an artificial horizion?  Another reason to install it now.

-Seth

1) The G5 doesn't provide GPSS on it's own, but if you have a GAD29B interface and a GTN 750 or 650 it will.

2) The G5 is not certified as a back-up for anything, only primary.

3) Yes it looks like it does.

2 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I just installed a G5 HSI. I will be doing the certification and 337 this afternoon. 

You can switch it to a PFD any time you want. Just push the knob, spin it all the way to the right and push it again.

when I was buying all this stuff I turned down an offer for King HSI system which was just overhauled by Mid Contenent. It looked brand new. They wanted $3000 for it including new install kits. I turned it down and opted for the G5. 

The install of the G5 is simple. Installing the King HSI would be a tremendous amount of work.

There was no autopilot? Or does the heading bug now drive autopilots?

I think the GAD29B (when released) + the installed G5 will drive the KFC autopilots via the Heading Bug:

"Additionally, G5 can provide heading output to select third-party autopilots (with GAD 29B, pending AML STC update)."
--G5 link

I currently have the KFC200 without GPSS and want either:

1) Apsen Pro with GPSS

2) G5 + GAD29B for GPSS

The G5 route appears to be 2/3's cheaper than the Aspen but not everything is release.  The G5 puts me potentially on the GFC500 path if that ever happens.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bryan said:

I currently have the KFC200 without GPSS and want either:

1) Apsen Pro with GPSS

2) G5 + GAD29B for GPSS

The G5 route appears to be 2/3's cheaper than the Aspen but not everything is release.  The G5 puts me potentially on the GFC500 path if that ever happens.

How much do you recon that option 2 will be?

Since the GAD29B has not been released yet, it is hard to say.  But if is based on the GAD29 ($499), I would hope it would be close.  So G5 ($2300) + $500 = $2800. Hard to say on installation, too, but I am beting 5-6AMU out-the-door for the equipment and install, maybe less.

A quoted Aspen in my plane interfacing with my KFC200 cost me close to 15AMU, out-the-door.

14 minutes ago, Bryan said:

Since the GAD29B has not been released yet, it is hard to say.  But if is based on the GAD29 ($499), I would hope it would be close.  So G5 ($2300) + $500 = $2800. Hard to say on installation, too, but I am beting 5-6AMU out-the-door for the equipment and install, maybe less.

A quoted Aspen in my plane interfacing with my KFC200 cost me close to 15AMU, out-the-door.

Yeah that sounds right.

and as already discussed - an investment toward the gfc500.

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

My guess is the g5 hsi will be around 5k installed. The aspen will be around 12k installed w/o the ea100.  

@LANCECASPER I was under the impression that the G5 hsi had gpss?

20 minutes ago, MIm20c said:

My guess is the g5 hsi will be around 5k installed. The aspen will be around 12k installed w/o the ea100.  

@LANCECASPER I was under the impression that the G5 hsi had gpss?

If the G5 has the $699 GAD29B interface and you have a GTN 650 or 750.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/july/18/garmin-g5-autopilot-support

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

There was no autopilot? Or does the heading bug now drive autopilots?

I moved the DG to the NAV2 hole. it is there to drive the autopilot until the GAD29B comes out. I have it on order.

The install of the G5 was remarkably easy. It fit in the 201 panel without modification. The pitot and static hookup took about 15 min. The cables were simple to fabricate. I had to add 2 circuit breakers. I put them to the left of the yoke by the cigarette lighter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Seth said:

Will that work with a 430W?

Not according to the link: 

When interfaced with a Garmin GTN 650/750W, the G5 can provide GPSS roll steering navigation from the navigator to the autopilot, Garmin said. “Pilots can simply select GPSS on the G5 and the heading mode on the autopilot and the autopilot will fly smooth intercepts, holding patterns, procedure turns, and more,” the company said.

Just now, LANCECASPER said:

Not according to the link: 

When interfaced with a Garmin GTN 650/750W, the G5 can provide GPSS roll steering navigation from the navigator to the autopilot, Garmin said. “Pilots can simply select GPSS on the G5 and the heading mode on the autopilot and the autopilot will fly smooth intercepts, holding patterns, procedure turns, and more,” the company said.

So, I think that applies to the experimental AP component of the G5. The current certified implementation has no autopilot steering output. And the GAD29B will only output the heading bug error that legacy APs get from a DG. 

Although what you are looking for is a software release away. Don't expect it any time soon.

6 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

So, I think that applies to the experimental AP component of the G5. The current certified implementation has no autopilot steering output. And the GAD29B will only output the heading bug error that legacy APs get from a DG. 

Although what you are looking for is a software release away. Don't expect it any time soon.

Again, not according to the link - no mention of experimental - this is for certified airplanes:

599b8ed765e17_ScreenShot2017-08-21at8_50_05PM.thumb.png.fb00e38150ea0ec778a5173024629a99.png

• Like 1