Garmin G-5 to control autopilots!!

Seth

i may have to consider a G5 when my KI256 needs an overhaul, and that will be in the next 24 months.  -Seth

Read below:

Garmin announces third-party autopilot support for the G5 electronic flight instrument

Tuesday, July 18, 2017 7:07 am CDT
Dateline:
Olathe, KS
EmailPDFPrintRSS
Garmin is pleased to announce the G5 electronic flight instrument will soon be compatible with a wide-range of third-party autopilots available on the market. Utilizing the new GAD 29B adapter, the G5 directional gyro (DG)/horizontal situation indicator (HSI) can interface with a variety of autopilots to provide heading and course error to drive the autopilot. With a compatible navigation source, the G5 can also interface with select autopilots for coupled flight in heading and navigation modes. Additionally, when interfaced with a GTN 650/750 or GNS 430W/530W, the G5 can provide GPSS roll steering navigation from the navigator to the autopilot. Pilots can simply select GPSS on the G5 and heading mode on the autopilot and the autopilot will fly smooth intercepts, holding patterns, procedure turns and more.

Third-party autopilot support is expected to include the following autopilots:

Century II/III
Century IV (AC), IV (DC)
Century 21/31/41
Century 2000
Cessna 400B
Cessna 300 IFCS/400 IFCS
Honeywell (Bendix King) KAP 100/150/200
Honeywell (Bendix King) KFC 150/200
Honeywell (Bendix King) KAP 140
Honeywell (Bendix King) KFC 225
S-TEC 20/30/40/50/55/60-1/60-2/65
S-TEC 60 PSS
S-TEC 55X
Garmin expects to expand third-party autopilot compatibility for the G5 electronic flight instrument in the future. The GAD 29B is expected to be available in September. 

Additionally, Garmin is working on an amendment to the existing G5 supplemental type certification (STC) that allows certificated aircraft owners to mount the G5 electronic flight instrument flush with their aircraft instrument panel. Garmin expects the STC to be complete September and to encompass the same aircraft model list (AML) that contains over 650 aircraft.

For additional information regarding the G5 electronic flight instrument, contact a Garmin authorized dealer or visit: www.garmin.com/aviation.

• Like 1

Yes, beaten to death already. The G5 can replace your KI525 HSI and KG102 remote gyro, but not the KI256. It most likely won't ever have that capability either.

The better news is that you can install a G5 for your HSI soon (once the GAD29B is shipping) and that gives you a good start on replacing the entire King autopilot at reasonable cost once the GFC500 STC is expanded to include Mooneys.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Anyone heard when they are going to ship GAD29Bs?
I have had one on order for 3 weeks now and all I hear is sometime before the end of the year. 
I can't even get install information or pin outs. I can't even find out if it has the same footprint.

I think I saw/read something about September for the 29B, but I don't remember the details.

I've read the info at the BeechTalk site.  It would appear that I could replace my recently overhauled. :(   NSD360a slaved HSI with a G5 driving my Century 2000 autopilot giving me everything I've got and adding GPSS.  I know I have to maintain my vacuum attitude gyro for at least the time being.

From the avionics prices I see, the used value of my existing HSI seems to exceed a G5.  Sounds like a no brainer... or am I missing something?

I don't want the KI300.  I just see problems with that down the road should king fold.

It may be the only option unless the G500 STC ends up being not too expensive.

Or I just overhaul the old technology in the future.

I have not done my full research:  which can the G5 if sending out the proper signals through a middle box to the AP not replace the KI256?

-Seth

4 minutes ago, Seth said:

I have not done my full research:  which can the G5 if sending out the proper signals through a middle box to the AP not replace the KI256?

-Seth

Even if Garmin made the gad43e available it would cost >5amu for the unit and unlock code without installation.  They would need to announce a new box that does the same thing at 1/10 the cost and stipulate it is not legal to use if you have a green or blue plane...

The G5 will never replace the KI256...It is fairly obvious that Garmin is steering us into their autopilot options which frankly is the better choice compared to a decades-old King autopilot. The entire GFC500 system is close to the cost of a single king servo! If you really want to keep the King autopilot, the Garmin option of G500 + GAD43 exists today, but at great cost. Aspen 1000 + EA100 also exists at less cost. Who knows if the KI300 will deliver as promised at slightly less cost or not, but with all of these options you're still faced with multi-AMU overhaul costs for the servos, HSI components, etc. King gave us a sneak peak at what they want to do with service policy and costs and that should be enough to tell any cost-sensitive owner to run far away from their stuff.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Seth said:

Doesn't the G500 AP use the existing king servos?  Again, I've done very little research - please educate me.

-Seth

No, the GFC500 (NOT G500, which is their PFD/MFD) is a completely new autopilot system that replaces everything.  It requires at least one G5 for the AHRS input (ie attitude) and uses the same modern brushless servos from the experimental G3X autopilot that has a good history.  A second G5 can be added for an HSI and reversionary capability (ie either G5 can be attitude input in case one fails).  It has all autopilot modes like glideslope, altitude preselect, GPSS, envelope protection, straight and level, etc., so it is far more sophisticated than any existing King (or other legacy) autopilot.  

The new GFC autopilots as well as the TruTrak and Trio offerings will quickly obsolete the old legacy stuff.

• Like 1

I wo

5 hours ago, Seth said:

Any pricing on Garmin servos?

I don't think that would help - you can only use the servos if you buy their complete autopilot.

The big question is if they will certify the GFC500 or 600 for us.

Bummer your servo - I am holding out for one of this new generation of digital autopilots.  But if one of the components on my KFC200 goes while I am waiting, I will most likely fix it, because...you never know if their promise to certify in a few months will turn out to be a few years, and I hate the idea of a primary system of my airplane being inop.

I am tempted to get a G5 to replace my HSI - if nothing else - for the inexpensive GPSS - but does this corner me?  If Garmin pushes me to a GFC600 - with no GFC500 option - then trio and dynon would look a lot more appealing - so I am waiting for 6-12 months or so before I decide to change anything.

But...what is the current trade in value on my HSI?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

I wo

I don't think that would help - you can only use the servos if you buy their complete autopilot.

The big question is if they will certify the GFC500 or 600 for us.

Bummer your servo - I am holding out for one of this new generation of digital autopilots.  But if one of the components on my KFC200 goes while I am waiting, I will most likely fix it, because...you never know if their promise to certify in a few months will turn out to be a few years, and I hate the idea of a primary system of my airplane being inop.

I am tempted to get a G5 to replace my HSI - if nothing else - for the inexpensive GPSS - but does this corner me?  If Garmin pushes me to a GFC600 - with no GFC500 option - then trio and dynon would look a lot more appealing - so I am waiting for 6-12 months or so before I decide to change anything.

But...what is the current trade in value on my HSI?

Plus the trade or sale of servicible king servos from your aircraft.

-Seth

I went to bennettavionics.com, they specialize in used avionics, my 360 slaved HSI system lists for $6195. They don't have autopilots.
I thought the GFC600 servos are designed for extreme temperatures and are weatherproof, and planes that are certified for FIKI or are pressurized would require them. Not sure if turbocharged planes will be included. The 500 are less robust, hopefully they distinguish between an Acclaim and my NA J.

7 hours ago, Seth said:

Plus the trade or sale of servicible king servos from your aircraft.

-Seth

What I mean is, I am hedging....

I would possibly buy a G5 to use as a HSI and to enjoy the GPSS now and as a partial investment toward the GFC500 which then I would likely get when that too is released....if I am allowed.

But if my airplane the M20K does not get the go ahead for the GFC500 but perhaps instead the GFC600, then I would have wasted my money on the G5 and be tempted to be pulling it out already perhaps 6 months after I installed it...if they only offer for the M20K the GFC600.  Then I would be more likely to buy one of the other THREE digital autopilots in the future.  So, I am likely to sit on my hands until the full possibilities become clear.

One thing is for sure - the KFC200 is a short-timer moving forward in my airplane, because it seems to me to be it will be more and more expensive in the future to maintain, and it is already expensive to the point that good money is to upgrade to modern-digital.

There is a very high likelihood that the GFC500 will get approved for Mooneys, and likely sooner rather than later. They are very aware of the market, especially with the other competitors coming on line and they know all of us frugal Mooney folks will not buy a 20+ AMU A/P if there is a 5-7 AMU option just to get the Garmin name.

• Like 1