Oil Cooler Relocation

Hey All.

In getting ready to do the cowl mod, I am thinking about doing the oil cooler relocation mod.  

For those that have done this, is it worth it?  Did it make a difference in oil temp?  

It would make things easier while doing the mod, but I need to have a rational reason for spending $550.

Thanks Guys (and girls)!

Mine was already done when I purchased it.  I'm not sure if there is any advantage to get cooler oil temps (I've never gone above 212F to 220F based on my memory in a climb from sea level to 120 in the summertime) but it does clean up the front of the cowl some.  Is that worth any speed gains??  You probably cannot measure it with standard instruments if there is any advantage.

Have it on mine and after I RTV'ed around the gaps in the baffling it stays consistently 160-180 even when climbing into flight levels.  Prior to sealing up gaps it would climb up into the yellow when I went high or got slightly excessive on nose pitch.  

Can't comment on the original setup but pleased with it and was done as part of SWTA cowling mod in the early 70's. 

• Like 1

My oil cooler has been relocated,  my oil temp runs between 170-180 as shown on my JPI even on hot days.

There is some risk of FOD damage to the external oil cooler resulting in an oil leak which could result in an engine failure (some rationalization for ya! )oil_cooler.thumb.jpg.113885530ccf4d1ac334dd147229c8a6.jpg

I took my F oil cooler relocation a step further. Notice the two piece 201 style ducting (the oil cooler is not attached to the baffles to prevent cracking).