Starter for Large Bore Continentals (550)

I wonder if any Mooney IO550 driver ever installed the somewhat "modern" Hartzell PM2407 starter and if there are any experiences/PIREPs available?
Per this press release published on AviationPros, Cirrus utilizes it on its newer IO550 installs.
Maybe its an alternative to good old Energizer!?

BTW: I still have the ISKRA on my O2 GX but once it starts to make trouble ..

Best,
Matthias

I have the Hartzell PM2407 starter installed in my M20L with an IO-550N.  It's not cheap but cranks harder than any other starter for the 550.  It splits the difference in weight between the Energizer starter and the Sky-Tec.  I only have about 100 hours on mine so no info on how long it will last, but it looks very well built.  

• Like 2

I have owned both the sky tech and the energizer. 
I didn’t have any problems with either and I fly 200+ hours a year and a few times a week. 

I replaced starter on my first Mooney less than five hours into ownership. I put in a sky tech because I didn’t know the difference. Two years and 500 hours later I had no problems.   Never had to replace another starter, on any of my other mooneys. 
I have a feeling that hot starts, or idleness are what take most of these out...

10 hours ago, N231BN said:

Does the Energizer starter fit on an Ovation/Acclaim with the factory air conditioner drive? It looks kinda tight there.

A customer bought an Ovation 2 GX last year and when doing his annual this year I noticed the airplane is on it's third starter adapter in just over 700 hrs TT. Crappy Iskra starter of course.

It should fit in place of the Iskra.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Out goes the infamous ISKRA ..
  • In comes a Hartzell/Skytec PM2407 ..

Hope that saves my starter adapter and engine from "starter-caused" trouble ..
Had only two engine starts today - all I can report for the time being

• cranked really fast
  • started well (2 blades on cold or so)

Best,

Matthias

image.thumb.png.824944e1c5a12a7fa52473e59520db54.pngimage.thumb.png.87569bd7532222765a971791ee00896f.png

Just in case someone might ask or comment:
No - I did not forget to reconnect the electrical starter power - this photo was taken before doing that task..^_^

Thanks for that link, I ordered one and just installed it on the customer's Ovation. Regarding the Energizer starter and the AC compressor, I think it would just fit but this option gives a lot more clearance.

When I removed the CRAPPY Iskra starter(did I mention they are crappy?), I matched up the angle of the drive on the new starter thinking it would slip right on, wrong! The starter has so much back torque that the spring unwound at least a 1/4 turn, no wonder this airplane is on it's third starter drive in 700 hrs. In fact, I had to use pliers to turn the starter backwards.

This is the third Iskra starter I've replaced now and hopefully another happy customer.PXL_20211130_173625036.jpg
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

My friend calls them ISKRAP starters.

I ordered the PM2407 starter also and it should be here tomorrow.

I got 1100 hours out of mine before it croaked and took the starter adapter with it.  I guess I should feel lucky!

-dan

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2021 at 1:12 PM, MatthiasArnold said:

New starter - W&B / equipment-list revision

Just in case if someone searches for the starter's correct arm while doing the W&B / equipment list revision.
You will find it in the TCDS, not in your POH's equipment list. For the M20R it is -9.1 inch.

Thanks for this - it is very helpful

1 minute ago, FlyingScot said:

So far - great. Turns a bit faster and seems stronger. Usually fires in 2 blades - 

plus it looks good :D

Same here, turns fast & engine starts usually within two blades (if primed correctly ;)).
Looks good - when cowling removed (I typically fly with cowling installed..)

• 4 weeks later...

Before I click the "Buy Now" button (I can't believe how much a starter adapter is!??!), I just want to get consensus from people smarter than me that this is, in fact, a starter adapter gone bad??

For what it's worth...

- Plenty of amps are getting to the battery (Energizer 24)
- Just installed a brand new Kissling starter solenoid ($880 from Mooney)
- Connections to/from the starter solenoid to the starter are clean
- 1998 M20R Ovation
- Continental IO-550 (G)
- Original Energizer 24 starter
- 1600 Since New
- I've put ~4 hours on the engine since switching from Aeroshell 15W-50 w/ Camguard to Phillips. I've heard from several people who've said that combination led to early adapter slippage

Assuming it's the adapter, any good recommendations for an overhauled one? Niagara? Aircraft Accessories of OK? Aircraft Specialties?

7 minutes ago, captd said:

Before I click the "Buy Now" button (I can't believe how much a starter adapter is!??!), I just want to get consensus from people smarter than me that this is, in fact, a starter adapter gone bad??

For what it's worth...

- Plenty of amps are getting to the battery (Energizer 24)
- Just installed a brand new Kissling starter solenoid ($880 from Mooney)
- Connections to/from the starter solenoid to the starter are clean
- 1998 M20R Ovation
- Continental IO-550 (G)
- Original Energizer 24 starter
- 1600 Since New
- I've put ~4 hours on the engine since switching from Aeroshell 15W-50 w/ Camguard to Phillips. I've heard from several people who've said that combination led to early adapter slippage

Assuming it's the adapter, any good recommendations for an overhauled one? Niagara? Aircraft Accessories of OK? Aircraft Specialtie

It's your adaptor. If you got 1600 hours from the original you're doing well. I wouldn't run it any more though. I would have yours overhauled not exchanged. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 12/8/2021 at 10:16 PM, LANCECASPER said:

The new PM2407 starter is impressive - definitely turns faster.

image.thumb.png.ad16561d889fb0168efb5494963de6d5.png

Unfortunately after less than 40 hours on the new PM2407, the starter adapter started slipping. (No doubt the Iskra being on there for nearly 200 caused some damage.) While looking for a place to repair my starter adapter, the people at Niagara Air parts and G & N Aircraft advised me against using the PM2407 telling me that since it's a PM (permanent magnet) starter that it doesn't turn forward or backward as smoothly as the Energizer and as it turns it "indexes" causing some friction. I sold the PM2407 and went to a new Energizer after the starter adaptor repair just to be sure