Starter for Large Bore Continentals (550)

My Acclaim needs a new starter. The current Iskra 24v started leaking oil out the end and around the attachment collar (to the unit itself). It must have an internal seal problem.

Researching what is the best replacement. Interested in only the continental 550 options. These seem to be the major choices.

Sky-Tec T5  (8.3 lbs)  $550

Hartzell Energizer (15 lbs) $668

Tempest Powerflite (14 lbs) $725

Iskra (8.3 lbs) $350

Other?

What would you (or did you) do? Would you do it again?

Trot - the Energizer without a doubt.  With the others, you'll blow through starter adapters like crazy, so go with the only really recommended starter out there designed to crank the IO/TSIO550 engine properly.  I can get you a part number in the next couple of hours when I get next to my parts catalog.

Steve

• Like 1

Lee - to follow up, order CMI part# 646275-1.  As Clarence noted, you'll pay a slightly higher weight penalty, but the benefits of this thing FAR outweigh any of the alternatives you listed.  Give Brian K. a call in TX if need be, as this is what he is also recommending to his Acclaim clients.

Steve

• Like 1

17 hours ago, L. Trotter said:

My Acclaim needs a new starter. The current Iskra 24v started leaking oil out the end and around the attachment collar (to the unit itself). It must have an internal seal problem.

Researching what is the best replacement. Interested in only the continental 550 options. These seem to be the major choices.

Sky-Tec T5  (8.3 lbs)  $550

Hartzell Energizer (15 lbs) $668

Tempest Powerflite (14 lbs) $725

Iskra (8.3 lbs) $350

Other?

What would you (or did you) do? Would you do it again?

Sky-tec is very good 

On 8/15/2017 at 7:28 PM, StevenL757 said:

For a "J", maybe.  The IO550 is a completely different beast, and the only truly reliable starter for it by a wide margin is the Energizer.

The SkyTecs are great for Lycomings, but since the Continentals use a starter adapter, if you use any of the lightweight starters on the large  Continentals you will end up replacing the starter adapter way too soon. Don't ask me how I know this.

Here is the thread. It was George Perry and his new Skytec starter adapter was no good. https://mooneyspace.com/topic/18921-skytec-starters-on-io-550-run-with-synthetic-blend-oils-a-bad-combination/?tab=comments#comment-284996

Edited by jetdriven

• 2 months later...

So, here's a follow-up to this thread.

I ultimately placed the Hartzell Energizer starter in my TSIO 550 engine. The first 10–15 starts were phenomenal. I've never seen the blade spin so fast with the starter. A considerable difference over the factory stock light weight Iskra starter. Now it seems the starter adapter is slipping???. When I engage the starter there is a hum and the blade tries to turn but won't. I will immediately release the starter and then reengage it after about 5 seconds. After two or three starting attempts it seems the starter will "catch" and the blades will spin and the engine starts normally. I have a new starter, two new batteries, a new alternator and I am not over priming (3-4 seconds on high boost). There is no back-firing or kickback that is noticeable.

Is this just bad luck or am I missing something? If I need the starter adapter replaced any ideas (new, reconditioned, overhauled by mechanic)?

1 hour ago, L. Trotter said:

I ultimately placed the Hartzell Energizer starter in my TSIO 550 engine. The first 10–15 starts were phenomenal. I've never seen the blade spin so fast with the starter. A considerable difference over the factory stock light weight Iskra starter. Now it seems the starter adapter is slipping???. When I engage the starter there is a hum and the blade tries to turn but won't. I will immediately release the starter and then reengage it after about 5 seconds. After two or three starting attempts it seems the starter will "catch" and the blades will spin and the engine starts normally. I have a new starter, two new batteries, a new alternator and I am not over priming (3-4 seconds on high boost). There is no back-firing or kickback that is noticeable.

Is this just bad luck or am I missing something? If I need the starter adapter replaced any ideas (new, reconditioned, overhauled by mechanic)?

Sadly you are now discovering what an Iskra starter motor will do to your starter adapter.  You may not need an overhaul, but certainly a repair.

We've used Canadian Aero, because they are close by, also used G and N in Indiana.  I'm sure there are others as well.

Clarence

1 hour ago, L. Trotter said:

I have two companies that i would recommend NOT using: (1) Aircraft Specialties Services and (2) Quality Aircraft Accessories

(1) On the Starter Adaptor exchange on an Ovation they tried to keep my $1600 deposit after I returned my old adaptor. I replaced it at the first sign of slippage. American Express fought it out for me and I didn't end up having to pay it.

(2) On a magneto fiasco there were a comedy of internal errors that convince me never to use them again.

Starter adapters wear out and slip regardless of what kind of starter you use. Its a fact of life. Yet their have been some unfriendly starters that have caused starter adapter damage or premature wear by not releasing. 

That said, always try to to get yours repaired rather than overhauled exchang if you want to save money. Repairs can be very affordable compared to overhaul since until the shaft gear is worn beyond limits it can be turned down in size a couple of times and oversize springs can be installed. Eventually you'll need to replace the shaft gear with new and the cost of repair will more than double. But if you go the exchange route, you could be sending in your adapter, which may never had its shaft gear turned down yet, and get back one on exchange that was at minimum diameter which will need the costly replacement next time. 

Its pretty well accepted that starter adapter longevity is increased with single weight oils and switching to slippery/thinner multi-grade oils and adding camguard is going to enable almost slipping adapter to slip more easily and thus sooner. But most consider the benefits of camguard and perhaps the real need for multi-weight oil benefits for the rest of the engine outweigh the negative aspects they have on the starter adapter that works by friction.

Edited by kortopates

The TCM starter adapter will not fully disengage unless the starter shaft can "backspin" with less force than "xx in/lbs" dont remember the exact number but if you get the chance where there is an iskra or other gear reduction lightweight starter laying on the bench. With your fingers try to turn the shaft where it couples to the starter adapter, it will not turn easily. Then try to turn the shaft on a prestolite or energizer and its very easy to understand why the iskras and other gear reduction starters big difference in force required to turn the shaft back and fully disengage the starter adapter. Good article abiut this on the beech website.

• 4 years later...
On 8/15/2017 at 5:42 AM, M20Doc said:

I've got a shelf full of Skytec's and Iskra's all removed for Energizers. Accept a small weight penalty, your starter adapter will thank you.

Clarence

Clarence,

What is it about the Sky Tec starters that kill starter adapters?  I had an Iskra replaced with a ST4 last august on a repaired adapter, and just over a year later, it appears the adapter is leaking quite a bit of oil?

Thanks in advance.

-dan

Brice’s 310 had a SkyTec on the right engine and a standard starter on the left. The right engine was always harder to start then the left. The right starter adapter started to slip. We replaced the adapter and the starter with a stock starter. Now they both start just fine.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, exM20K said:

Clarence,

What is it about the Sky Tec starters that kill starter adapters?  I had an Iskra replaced with a ST4 last august on a repaired adapter, and just over a year later, it appears the adapter is leaking quite a bit of oil?

Thanks in advance.

-dan

Sky Tec starters generally don’t release quickly enough on key release causing wear on the adapter, they don’t have the cranking torque of other old school starters and can slip.

We don’t replace adapters on air planes with older heavier starters.

Clarence 

Does the Energizer starter fit on an Ovation/Acclaim with the factory air conditioner drive? It looks kinda tight there.

A customer bought an Ovation 2 GX last year and when doing his annual this year I noticed the airplane is on it's third starter adapter in just over 700 hrs TT. Crappy Iskra starter of course.