Thinking about a fs210

MIm20c

That seems pretty useful Jerry. Nice and neat. 

Mlm20c - I don't think I've seen any used ones for sale.  And I look on the major forums and eBay pretty often looking for nick nacks . Maybe that's a review in of itslef? 

Will it send XM weather from a GDL-69 to an iPad / 796 etc?  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bradp said:

Mlm20c - I don't think I've seen any used ones for sale.  And I look on he major forums and eBay pretty often looking for nick backs. Maybe that's a review in of itslef? 

I've been looking too. Watched two or three sell for around 600 last spring but nothing since. 

14 minutes ago, daver328 said:

FS-210 is a backup AHRS and so one, but we were already getting that from our Stratus 2 ... so there was no real gain for us there, but just to ability to send plans between iPad and panel was worth it to me! 

I also have a stratus 2 but was thinking about downgrading to the scout if I installed the fs210. 

Does the 210 load the approach from ForeFlight or just the enroute?

Yes, loads the Approach too ... and you can send flight plans back and forth either way.
... although I haven't experimented with it in a while, when we first got it, every now and then it would have issues sending various GPS approach feeder routes or full procedure turns back and forth. I always review the points after a route change and transfers. It seems the couple times I was in hard IMC and doing a GPS Approach in low weather, I just loaded the GPS Approach directly in the panel GPS just to make sure there were no errors. 
My experience with it is fairly limited, mainly because we keep doing upgrades and the plane has been in the shop more than out of the shop the past two years. 
Generally speaking it does a pretty good job. 

I have one in my panel. I really like it. It integrates my 795, with my GTNs and my ipad.

What I do is I have the map and my route shown on my 750, traffic or stormscope on my 650 and nexrad weather on my 795. I use the iPad for metar and approach plates and to modify the route.

The 210 also provides me with a back up AHRS, although I find that I have to reset it each time I fly.

It is amazing how far we have gotten... had somebody told me in 1993 when I started to use my first GPS what would happen in just 20 years, I would have had a hard time believing it.

Oscar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

I installed FS210 in my G500/GTN750/650/796 panel and it is a GREAT upgrade for only 1 AMU.   The iPad now integrates with the panel, flight plan loading is far easier and faster, the 796 communicates with the GTNs, and an independent AHRS, too. 

I thought the 210 didn't work with the new GTNs. Does it work for you because you have the G500?

Edit: I was wrong. I guess you can use the 210 or the 510 with the GTN series. 

Edited by Cooperd0g

16 hours ago, MIm20c said:

I also have a stratus 2 but was thinking about downgrading to the scout if I installed the fs210. 

Does the 210 load the approach from ForeFlight or just the enroute?

Is the thought to include a Scout just for redundancy?

17 hours ago, bradp said:

Mlm20c - I don't think I've seen any used ones for sale.  And I look on the major forums and eBay pretty often looking for nick nacks . Maybe that's a review in of itslef? 

Yes

1 hour ago, Oldguy said:

Is the thought to include a Scout just for redundancy?

I think that because the 210 will give him AHRS and WAAS gps from the panel mount, he only needs the weather and traffic, which the Scout can do. Trade down from the Stratus to the Scout. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, johncuyle said:

Potentially dumb question, but why a 210 and not a 510? 510 seems to have the same functionality for the same price plus database update and easier install.

I was thinking the same thing, but this question is more aimed at @Oscar Avalle as he has the GTN. The plane I'm trying to buy has a GTN also. A flight stream is on the to do list, but which one I'm not sure. 

2 hours ago, johncuyle said:

Potentially dumb question, but why a 210 and not a 510? 510 seems to have the same functionality for the same price plus database update and easier install.

Not dumb at all. The only reason I got a 210 is because the 510 wasn't around for at least another year. Otherwise, I would have opted for the 510.

I was thinking the same thing, but this question is more aimed at [mention=8898]Oscar Avalle[/mention] as he has the GTN. The plane I'm trying to buy has a GTN also. A flight stream is on the to do list, but which one I'm not sure. 

As Jerry mentioned in his response the 210 has an AHRS, but the 510 allows you to update your navdata from your iPad.

As Jerry mentioned in his response the 210 has an AHRS, but the 510 allows you to update your navdata from your iPad.

And what a wonderful thing it is to see that database upload with moving SD chips around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2