Hot weather battery maintenance

1 hour ago, markejackson02 said:

I have a Gill G-35 battery in a 201.  The hangar in which the plane sits is regularly 100-120 degrees this time of year.

I keep the water topped up and use a battery minder.  Is there anything else I can do to keep the battery from getting torched?

Remove the Gill and install a Concorde. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Greg_D said:

What kind of "battery minder" are you using ?  If it isn't an aviation specific model, you may be doing more harm than good.

It is the Gill specific BatteryMinder unit.  I believe it is the S2.  I used to use the aviation specific unit that allowed you to pick battery type and amperage.  It was constantly resetting itself so I would come back to the AGM battery setting at 2 amps.  Finally tossed it which was annoying given the $250 price tag.

8 minutes ago, markejackson02 said:

Is there any issue with the battery box?  My current one has two sets of ridges that look like they are designed to hold the battery caps in place.

There shouldn't be, especially the 14v installations. The best part about the Concorde is you don't have to worry about the excess heat causing it to leak and spill corrosive fluid in your airplane. Its pretty much maintenance free. Fly it once a month and you don't even need to worry about a battery minder. 

I have a Gill G-35 battery in a 201.  The hangar in which the plane sits is regularly 100-120 degrees this time of year.
I keep the water topped up and use a battery minder.  Is there anything else I can do to keep the battery from getting torched?

You do use distilled water?
If you fly often enough you don't need the BM, you should check your voltage level to make its being charged fully.
I went to harbor freight and pick up a charger for $29, use it whenever I have playing with the plane in the hangar (DB updates, etc).

1 hour ago, teejayevans said:

You do use distilled water?
If you fly often enough you don't need the BM, you should check your voltage level to make its being charged fully.
I went to harbor freight and pick up a charger for $29, use it whenever I have playing with the plane in the hangar (DB updates, etc).

I do use distilled water.  I try to fly at least once a week.  The battery minder may be overkill.  If this one turns out to be dead (will check tomorrow), maybe try the Concorde.

Mark - all things being equal, and assuming you're doing the right things with BAT maintenance and upkeep (which appears you are), I agree with others that the Concorde solution is the best way to go.  I've owned several of each brand in a few airplanes, and the Concordes have clearly been the better performer in all cases.  You shouldn't need the BatterMinder if you fly once ever 7-10 days, as any flight over 45 mins will charge the battery sufficiently.

My present pair of Concordes in the Ovation are on their 5th year of use (installed 2/2013), and both passed capacity testing with 89% (BAT1) and 97% (BAT2) at annual in June.  I don't own a BatteryMinder, fly at least once per week, but occasionally have gone as much as 10 days (gasp) without flying.  Never had an issue.

Good luck.  Let us know what you find out; and please give a PIREP, should you choose the Concorde.  :-)

Steve

[mention=9886]Marauder[/mention] was at 9 years on his Concorde and still going strong when he decided to replace it for other reasons. I'm pretty sure he uses a battery maintainer, and he also flies regularly. 

It was actually 13 years. He would have kept going if it wasn't for Magilla Gorilla who overtorqued the positive lead and stripped the threads.

I do fly regularly but also do use the BatteryMinder on a regular basis -- especially in the winter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1