Baffles seal replacement

milotron

Under owner maintenance, you are allowed to replace spark plugs.  Some baffling removal may be required to do that, so in that case, yes.  Otherwise, no.  But it's not rocket science and most mechanically adept people can do it.  

Please ask for help if it's your first time, though.

The Canadian regs read similarly and list elementary maintenance specifically.

I thought it could conceivably fall under this of this passage:

(4) repair of non-structural fairings, cover plates and cowlings, on small privately operated aircraft;
(amended 2004/03/01)

More than capable of doing it, but want to make sure I am on the right side of the regs.

Iain

Are you swapping out parts like mounting purchased baffle seals from Guy with the holes already located properly or something like that? Stuff a pilot can't possibly get wrong...

Or are you cutting and fitting and all the details from scratch... an infinite possibility of getting something important out of skew..?

If I were embarking on this. Getting the right seals, latest silicone material, cut and ready to install, would be important to me.  Missing by 1/8" would take doing this over.   The risk of getting it wrong is an overheat situation that might be hard to find...

On the legality issue... Using the brakes as an example, there is a lot of work surrounding and involved in changing out the pads...

Some PP thoughts only...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

Are you swapping out parts like mounting purchased baffle seals from Guy with the holes already located properly or something like that? Stuff a pilot can't possibly get wrong...

Or are you cutting and fitting and all the details from scratch... an infinite possibility of getting something important out of skew..?

If I were embarking on this. Getting the right seals, latest silicone material, cut and ready to install, would be important to me.  Missing by 1/8" would take doing this over.   The risk of getting it wrong is an overheat situation that might be hard to find...

I was thinking of the GeeBee route. Heard many good things about them.

I am going to try and correct the issues I have first, which really amounts to a couple of the fixed fasteners bosses deflecting the baffles, plus the seals are not tight against the cowl going around the corners at the top of the cowl. Need to find a way to get more tension into the material to hold it up. There were some suggestions regarding tyrap material or metal backing that I will try first.

26 minutes ago, milotron said:

I am going to try and correct the issues I have first, which really amounts to a couple of the fixed fasteners bosses deflecting the baffles, plus the seals are not tight against the cowl going around the corners at the top of the cowl. Need to find a way to get more tension into the material to hold it up. There were some suggestions regarding tyrap material or metal backing that I will try first.

Definitely go the Gee Bee route - great quality product and cuts a lot of time and frustration out of the job.

• Like 1

I ended up buying the materials from Aircraft spruce and replaced most of mine, being close to useless at mechanical stuff it ended up being an easy process. I used the original as a template shaped and cut the stuff then installed. I didn't spend much more than $100 and have plenty left. If I failed I was going the BG route. My temps went down by 20-30*

• Like 1

On August 14, 2017 at 10:07 AM, milotron said:

I can assure you that you won't be disappointed with the Gee Bee baffle seals.  He provides more than enough rivets to attach to the metal and lots of fasteners to join the seals together.

Clarence

I have been corresponding with Guy the last couple of days and will go this route. I wanted to touch base with my mechanic so he is not surprised when he sees them at the next annual in 6 months. I like working with him and don't want to get him pissed off with me doing things like this.

iain