help me with an orlando executive flight (KORL)

rbridges

my immediate flight will actually be from KLAL (lakeland) to KORL.  I'm dropping someone off to pick up his plane so this will be a one time deal.  In the future I'll be flying from central GA to KORL.  My son will be attending UCF, so I'll be doing this trip often.  My question is about the arrivals.  Do they typically give you one when flying from the south or north?  I fly to Atlanta often, and I can bank on a PAALA arrival.   It's nice knowing what to expect.  I'm just trying to get everything ready in my head for the trip.  

You were asking about STAR's.  I was looking at the STAR's  (Arrival) and noticed a lot of them are for turbojet & turboprop.  If you file for one of them and are at 

higher altitudes I'm sure they will assign you one them even though your are not a turboprop.  If you don't want to fly an Arrival then request radar vector's instead.

Hope this helps,

Nate

• Like 1

I flew into ORL a few months ago from N. Fla. With VFR flight following they will hand you off to Orlando Approach and on my first time in to pick up a passenger, they told me to remain outside the Class B. Start your descent early, I was having to descend faster and faster to stay under the shelves. The approach into runway 7 took me just south of the city. Plenty of traffic callouts.

Landed into Atlantic Aviation. They have a $40 turnaround fee, we called them the night before and they gave us a break for $20 for a quick turn-and-burn but as soon as we got there, they wouldn't honor it. So we paid the full $40, and left. Departure was the same, remain outside the Bravo so we climb, stop, climb, stop, etc. If you take off 7, expect a turn rather quick to the north northwest. Just east of OLR is the final approach for MCO so airliners are strung out like pearls. We had an A340 fly over us, was a sight to see.

Two days later to drop off my friend, they actually gave us Bravo clearance in and out. Gave us gradual descents which was nice not having to do drops all the time. This time they gave us 13. Windy but was right down the runway. Had to pay the $40 to drop him off. I left a 3-star review on AirNav.

orl.JPG

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nathan Peterson said:

You were asking about STAR's.  I was looking at the STAR's  (Arrival) and noticed a lot of them are for turbojet & turboprop.  If you file for one of them and are at 

higher altitudes I'm sure they will assign you one them even though your are not a turboprop.  If you don't want to fly an Arrival then request radar vector's instead.

Hope this helps,

Nate

I was squinting at them on my phone. I didn't see the turboprop but probably overlooked it. Thanks. 

3 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

I flew into ORL a few months ago from N. Fla. With VFR flight following they will hand you off to Orlando Approach and on my first time in to pick up a passenger, they told me to remain outside the Class B. Start your descent early, I was having to descend faster and faster to stay under the shelves. The approach into runway 7 took me just south of the city. Plenty of traffic callouts.

Landed into Atlantic Aviation. They have a $40 turnaround fee, we called them the night before and they gave us a break for $20 for a quick turn-and-burn but as soon as we got there, they wouldn't honor it. So we paid the full $40, and left. Departure was the same, remain outside the Bravo so we climb, stop, climb, stop, etc. If you take off 7, expect a turn rather quick to the north northwest. Just east of OLR is the final approach for MCO so airliners are strung out like pearls. We had an A340 fly over us, was a sight to see.

Two days later to drop off my friend, they actually gave us Bravo clearance in and out. Gave us gradual descents which was nice not having to do drops all the time. This time they gave us 13. Windy but was right down the runway. Had to pay the $40 to drop him off. I left a 3-star review on AirNav.

orl.JPG

Thanks. That's a big help. Sucks about the $40, especially since you called. I think there's a second FBO. I may call and ask them about fees. 

ORL is pretty straight forward. I've only flown in VFR and never had an issue. They'll keep you north of the MCO approach traffic. MCO is another option or SFB. SFB has crazy amounts of flight school trafffic so I find it rather nerve wracking. If you land SFB be prepared to taxi right of the center line so opposite flight school traffic can pass. Proximity to UCF is close via the 417. Highway 50 sucks during rush hour. Also, if you use SFB check out the VFR chart and become familiar with the Monroe or Jessup arrival. Monroe is from the north over lake Monroe, Jessup is from the south over lake Jessup.  Controllers are great whichever airport you choose. 

• Like 1

Flown in many times, VFR and IFR from Alabama. Typically, they have me overfly Ocala and then join an airway, then vectors into ORL. I get this instruction on both IFR and VFR. Not really an issue. Great little airport to fly into. Wide and long runway with high rises near base/final. 

The departure is typically to depart RR heading and stay below XXXX feet due to ORL being at the approach end of MCO. Once on departure freq, they typically have me turn back to the north west immediately and clear me higher 10 minutes later. 

Never had a STAR into ORL. 

• Like 1

UCF is a great university, my son did his bachelor at UCF and very happy with it. A lot of housing for students in the area. Never had any problem flying VFR into KORL coming From KFXE. Be familiar with the Class B vertical and horizontal boundaries and stay out of it. Contact approach on 119.4 MHz for assistance. I always parked at Sheltair. They have good service. For best chance to get a free available crew car try to land before noon. There is plenty of hotels in the area but make reservations ahead. UCF football events attract a lot of the alumni and hotels get full. My son is an avid Knights fan.

Go Knights

• Like 1

I echo what Jose said. First, UCF is a great school and (2) Sheltair provides very good service and a crew car The past few times I used Sheltair I don't recall any extortion fees, just a reasonable parking fee.

Each time that I've flown into KORL I've come up from the south VFR using Flight Following and was given clearance into the Class B. On the way out I was on my own and had to stay clear. Also, if landing on 7, be extra careful of high rise office buildings on final.

3 hours ago, fantom said:

Good - sure; very good - maybe; big - for sure.

The kids at FSU and UF probably have a different viewpoint, but then their GPA's were a lot higher. ;)

Guess it comes down to the individual colleges.  UCF's Rosen School of Hospitality is ranked in the top 5 in the world, #1 being Cornell. My daughter applied but didn't get in due to demand. In the end she followed in her brothers footsteps and attended FSU.

On 8/19/2017 at 0:26 PM, flyboy0681 said:

Guess it comes down to the individual colleges.  UCF's Rosen School of Hospitality is ranked in the top 5 in the world, #1 being Cornell. My daughter applied but didn't get in due to demand. In the end she followed in her brothers footsteps and attended FSU.

my son wants to get a degree in computer game design, and UCF is consistently ranked nationally.  I always wanted him to be a Georgia Bulldog, but I'll be happy for him to be an employed Knight.  :D

I went to UCF so long ago that no one considered it a good school back then.  It was just the one that was close to home.  Back then it was a commuter school.  I took my daughter there for a campus tour last year and I could not believe how much it had change.  There were no dorms when I went there.  I actually took about a third of my classes in portable classrooms.  

An interesting side note -- one of the proposed names when they switched from FTU to UCF was to name it University of Florida Orlando, but not everyone appreciated the idea of the school being known as UFO.  

5 hours ago, Ftlausa said:

I went to UCF so long ago that no one considered it a good school back then.  It was just the one that was close to home.  Back then it was a commuter school.  I took my daughter there for a campus tour last year and I could not believe how much it had change.  There were no dorms when I went there.  I actually took about a third of my classes in portable classrooms.  

An interesting side note -- one of the proposed names when they switched from FTU to UCF was to name it University of Florida Orlando, but not everyone appreciated the idea of the school being known as UFO.  

I still think lots of people commute, but traffic is awful and I pity anyone that makes it through that mess.  Anyway, I found out that UCF has the largest undergraduate population of any US university.  It's something like 60,000 students.  I remember thinking UGA was a monster when I went, and I believe it had around 26-28000.  Of course, I know they're including other campuses and people taking online courses.  I ordered a TV from Best Buy for my son to pick up, but he wanted to wait until later in the day.  He said all the parking decks were at 100%.

On 8/19/2017 at 8:44 AM, fantom said:

Good - sure; very good - maybe; big - for sure.

The kids at FSU and UF probably have a different viewpoint, but then their GPA's were a lot higher. ;)

And FSU is there for the kids who can't quite make it in to UF. :P

Sounds like you got the Piglt four STAR. I've overheard that a lot on the radio recently. I seem to always get the Leese two coming from Gainesville. I think the big thing to remember is that if you are northbound side VFR they want you below the B at 1600. 

Departing even IFR they keep me below the class B. Sometimes with apologies even. 

6 hours ago, mike_elliott said:

Sheltair fbo's are great everywhere they are. Management has this figured out. 

yeah, I really liked Sheltair.  No fees except a flat $20/night.  They don't even have a fuel minimum.  I appreciate places like this and gave them a good review on airnav.

• Like 1