Temporary Restricted Area (TRA)

jonhop

Great.... more airspace to worry about!

FAA Sources for Temporary Restricted Area (TRA) Information Notice Number: NOTC7310

The FAA will soon begin limited use of a Temporary Restricted Area (TRA) in certain areas when the types of operation(s) to be conducted there require a TRA. The flight rules that apply to a TRA are the same as a Restricted Area (RA). The best FAA resources to view any TRAs upcoming or active are the FAA Special Use Airspace (SUA) website and the Notices to Airmen Publication (NTAP). Please use the following links to access these resources before a flight:
https://sua.faa.gov
www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/notices/
For questions or more information contact:
Scott Rosenbloom
Phone: 202-267-3783
Email: scott.rosenbloom@faa.gov

I used to look forward to the change of presidency...

Except their choice of vacation spots has been in the north east a lot lately...

resulting in two weeks and/or three weekends each year of limitations on How and where one can fly.

No jump in the plane and go VFR around here for another week...

Best regards,

-a-

21 hours ago, carusoam said:

No jump in the plane and go VFR around here for another week...

AOPA was all over this when 1 guy could not fly his jet outside of PBI but when hundreds of pilots get delayed in NJ AOPA is silent.......

Thinking of bringing my plane back west soon and dropping AOPA.....

1 hour ago, Jim Peace said:

AOPA was all over this when 1 guy could not fly his jet outside of PBI but when hundreds of pilots get delayed in NJ AOPA is silent.......

Thinking of bringing my plane back west soon and dropping AOPA.....

I was wondering about that,  why the AOPA hasn't said much recently on the subject.

I think there is a misunderstanding on just how the TFR's work. Initially I was under the impression that I couldn't fly because my base is some 17 miles away from Mir-a-lago. The truth is that  I can show up at the airport and fly whenever I want, but the tower has to contact Palm Beach approach to get me a squawk code if flying VFR. Naturally  when flying IFR I am fully covered. I'm not sure how someone gets out of an uncontrolled airport however. The unfortunate few are those who keep their planes at airports within five miles, such as Lantana down here. Pilots and passengers there have to get pre-screened by TSA somehow, coming and going. 

We as pilots only know part of what goes on. I flew with a friend on Saturday who is a controller at Palm Beach and he has a whole different side of the situation. 

You call the local approach control on the ground and they give you a code + frequency (Just ask approach or the locals for the phone#)    according to the TFR you should have an IFR or VFR flight plan in the system for your flight.     It is the same process as getting IFR on the ground without a tower.  

The current NYC TFR  (7/8493) Exempts flights in the KMMU corridor from requiring a  VFR flight plan when the tower is open.. Code + talking to tower are still required.  

On arrival you just keep your code to the ground, never use 1200 in the TFR's. 

Lantana is blocked during the TFR since they won't do screening there.   Solberg and Somerset are also blocked during the NJ TFR 10 mile ring for the same reason.  

We had a two week TFR. The president was on a working vacation at his place in NJ...  his work schedule changed requiring him to return to Washington...

The TFR has morphed in size and shape without a lot of warning...

Strange times...

Best regards,

-a-

Just now, PaulM said:

You call the local approach control on the ground and they give you a code + frequency (Just ask approach or the locals for the phone#)    according to the TFR you should have an IFR or VFR flight plan in the system for your flight.     It is the same process as getting IFR on the ground without a tower.  

The current NYC TFR  (7/8493) Exempts flights in the KMMU corridor from requiring a  VFR flight plan when the tower is open.. Code + talking to tower are still required.  

On arrival you just keep your code to the ground, never use 1200 in the TFR's. 

Lantana is blocked during the TFR since they won't do screening there.   Solberg and Somerset are also blocked during the NJ TFR 10 mile ring for the same reason.  

See, now that is what I thought, that a VFR flight plan was required, but it's not. One of the controllers in our tower always comes by to shoot the breeze before going on duty and I asked him about that and he specifically said that a flight plan is not needed and wondered why so many VFR pilots were calling him on the ground control frequency with all kinds of information about flight plans they filed. Add to the mix that when flying back into the TFR area after a $500 hamburger or flying practice approaches, all I do is call Palm Beach approach a few miles from the outer ring of the TFR and they give me a squawk code on the spot and clear me into the TFR.

The NJ TFR required a flight plan with a squawk code to fly VFR to leave the TFR...

No traffic pattern flights or practice approaches allowed...

The TFR wording is multiple pages long, and has a translation for those that don't speak the legal code...

Now that the TFR has changed, re-reading and interpreting all the pages of wording needs to begin again...

Nice day to be flying, but I think I'll wait for another day to see if this settles out...

Best regards,

-a-

The NJ TFR required a flight plan with a squawk code to fly VFR to leave the TFR...
No traffic pattern flights or practice approaches allowed...
The TFR wording is multiple pages long, and has a translation for those that don't speak the legal code...
Now that the TFR has changed, re-reading and interpreting all the pages of wording needs to begin again...
Nice day to be flying, but I think I'll wait for another day to see if this settles out...
Best regards,
-a-

What is frustrating about these TFRs are the non standard configurations we saw in the past.

When they first introduced, there was the 30 nm ring which you could fly VFR if you had a discrete code and were flying in contact with ATC and did not enter the inner 10 nm ring.

Looks like now, you need to understand what the smaller sub area restrictions are.

ed5dd39cf5b1696bc83dbb7794450378.png
e63f20dd498a92acee62815caef099c9.png5ca82a15807479191f20879a33351173.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

I was wondering about that,  why the AOPA hasn't said much recently on the subject.

Don't you understand that In their world there is no problem.  The upper management still makes their 6 figure salaries and that is all that counts.

Move along,,,nothing to see here.......

Edited by Jim Peace

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

Intercepted, detained, and interviewed....  on one hand sounds like a speeding ticket... on the other hand, the beginning of an LA riot...

I can wait...

Best regards,

-a-

Get used to it, as time moves on he'll be leaving the dump for extended trips to New Jersey and Manhattan. Then in December it's my turn.

The text of the presidential TFR's say that a VFR flight plan is required.    Anecdotally we have heard that controllers have not required them, and actually have no way of checking with their computers since VFR flight plans don't get routed to approach or clearance , only IFR and DVFR (which are filed as IFR with DVFR in the comments).     To approach a code + talking is all they require, but I'll bet that if there is a violation, the lack of the VFR plan will just be added onto the list of things they violate you for. 

When 7/9037(current edition#)  came out with the special KMMU area I wondered what was the magic difference for that traffic.   The first couple of TFR's back in 2013 had that corridor, and it was used like the Leesburg maneuvering  area.  You squawked 1226 and left or entered directly via the cutout.    On this new one the only difference is the requirement for the VFR flight plan, and that you can talk to tower rather than NY Approach when the tower is open.   The implication that they wrote all of this exception text for VFR flight plans is that at some level they care about it.  Or there was enough desire from the MMU flight schools to get an official on the record that VFR flight plans weren't required @MMU, rather than relying on the pinky swear "Well we haven't violated anyone yet for not having one" 

• From 7/9037:
  •  During the time when the MMU Air Traffic Control Tower is closed, from 0231 UTC until 1059 UTC (2231-0659 local), pilots must comply with all of the requirements of FDC NOTAM 7/8493 ZNY AND 7/8492 ZBW, including the requirement to file a VFR/IFR flight plan.

As for the shape of the new 30mile TFR's, they are generally 30 mile TFR's with exceptions around certain airports.   Today's NYC class B TFR exempts TEB access from the 7 mile core.  It exempts FRG and HPN for access, and outlines the procedures for helicopters and floatplanes to access the manhattan heliports via TSA screening at Linden and FRG. 

For most of us, IFR/VFR flight plan.  Get the code on the ground, don't squawk 1200 and stay away from the "core" .   

• Like 1

"ALL AIRCRAFT MUST BE ON AN ACTIVE IFR OR FILED VFR FLIGHT PLAN."

It says just to file, not to activate a VFR flight plan. I think the VFR flight plan isn't for ATC to use as much as to have a record of your name, phone, and tail number so they know who to abuse if you forget to cross the t's or dot the i's.