Lycoming Ad received last week

pkofman

Does anyone have any thoughts or info on this as it applies to Mooneys 

I looked up my plane but it appears to NOT be included vis. serial number search

Subject: ATA 82 - Reciprocating Engine Power Section - Connecting rod failure.

Applicability: Lycoming Engines listed in Lycoming MSB No. 632B.

http://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/SB632B Connecting Rod Identification.pdf

Pete

This thread has much more written about the topic including a letter from Mike B

But keep in mind the vast majority of engines affected by this AD are not going to referenced by engine serial #. Lycoming rebuilt and overhauled engines are a small fraction of the engines field overhauled and then it will depend if they used Lycoming versus Superior PMA's parts.

29 minutes ago, kortopates said:

This thread has much more written about the topic including a letter from Mike B

But keep in mind the vast majority of engines affected by this AD are not going to referenced by engine serial #. Lycoming rebuilt and overhauled engines are a small fraction of the engines field overhauled and then it will depend if they used Lycoming versus Superior PMA's parts.

I doubt that Lycoming will come forward and provide warranty coverage for field overhauled engine or competitor overhauls.  

Clarence

2 hours ago, M20Doc said:

I doubt that Lycoming will come forward and provide warranty coverage for field overhauled engine or competitor overhauls.  

Clarence

Really, it seems like there'd be a way to remedy this kind of stuff.  What other manufacturer can sell stuff to the public, have a problem, then say "You are now required to pay us money to fix the problem we created, or it's illegal for you to ever use the product again."

• Like 2

I got caught by this AD, my plane is grounded.  I had an IRAN last year and the bushings are the AD part numbers.   This week my cylinders get pulled and bushings tested.  If they pass, cylinders go back on.  If they fail, the connecting rods get removed and sent out to get re-bushed.

Engine shop says Lycoming is footing the bill.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Rmag said:

I got caught by this AD, my plane is grounded.  I had an IRAN last year and the bushings are the AD part numbers.   This week my cylinders get pulled and bushings tested.  If they pass, cylinders go back on.  If they fail, the connecting rods get removed and sent out to get re-bushed.

Engine shop says Lycoming is footing the bill.

How did you find out? Did you call the shop to investigate your parts origin or they called you? 

4 minutes ago, MooneyBob said:

How did you find out? Did you call the shop to investigate your parts origin or they called you? 

A&P on the field got the AD.  He knew I got an IRAN last year.  I had a parts listing of all the parts installed during my IRAN.  Looked at the parts list and the bushing part number was there.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Really, it seems like there'd be a way to remedy this kind of stuff.  What other manufacturer can sell stuff to the public, have a problem, then say "You are now required to pay us money to fix the problem we created, or it's illegal for you to ever use the product again."

It reminds me of the crankshaft AD, Lycoming builds and sells substandard crankshafts for thousands of engines. Then offer the user a discounted new crankshaft for $2000, leaving the consumer to foot the bill for removal and reinstallation.  In the end if  Lycoming pays it won't be enough.

Clarence

9 hours ago, Rmag said:

A&P on the field got the AD.  He knew I got an IRAN last year.  I had a parts listing of all the parts installed during my IRAN.  Looked at the parts list and the bushing part number was there.

Dan,

I heard Lycoming was not doing anything for customers in regards to warranty or paying for labor. Hope you're able to find out the opposite is true. I finished rebuilding me engine only 2 months before the affected bushings started shipping so I just missed this one by the skin of my teeth. 

We have done numerous of these inspections.  So far we have only had one bushing that failed.  Lycoming is not paying for the labor to have this performed, unless you own a factory engine that was affected by serial number.  If you have a field overhaul that was affected, they will pay for the part affected only.

On 8/13/2017 at 6:40 PM, ragedracer1977 said:

You tried to save money by having someone other than Lycoming do the labor to rebuild your motor and you want Lycoming to pay for labor?  To me this is a case the field overhaulers must figure into their work. Its one reason I just bought an engine directly from Lycoming.

-Robert

45 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

I disagree...Lycoming sold faulty parts and should bear the entire cost of compliance no matter who installed them.

I saved money by choosing superior parts and thankfully avoided this mess.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

It is really interesting ( and im not in the pool) affected by this ad. My engine was done sometime ago. But if had been asked by the shop if they should use Lyc or other parts my knee jerk reaction woud have been to go with the original manufacturers parts. Im learning allot from this thread!

Lycoming put out a batch of bad cranks years ago, and only offered a slight discount on replacement cranks to the affected owners. Their cams and lifters have had a TON of trouble over the years as well. Their angle valve cylinders cost twice as much as others since they have had a monopoly (until this month, finally!). Those are lots of good reasons to avoid their parts whenever possible so we can have some competition.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, jclemens said:

We have done numerous of these inspections.  So far we have only had one bushing that failed.  Lycoming is not paying for the labor to have this performed, unless you own a factory engine that was affected by serial number.  If you have a field overhaul that was affected, they will pay for the part affected only.

Typical of how they treat the consumer, it's a shame.

Clarence

Right or wrong...  

Consumer law is nice to the general public...

Housing law is nice to the general public...

Automotive law is nice to the general public...

All things that have developed over the last century...

Airplane law is nice to the airplane manufacturers, sort of... but not really, either...

If they had a Lemon law for new planes, that would be cool..?

Wait till you buy a new engine and the warranty is only for a couple of months...

PP thoughts only, not a legal eagle...

Best regards,

-a-

3 hours ago, RobertGary1 said:

You tried to save money by having someone other than Lycoming do the labor to rebuild your motor and you want Lycoming to pay for labor?  To me this is a case the field overhaulers must figure into their work. Its one reason I just bought an engine directly from Lycoming.

-Robert

The issue isn't that the field overhauler installed the parts wrong.  Lycoming made them wrong.

Clarence