Another dead battery- again- ideas please?

pkofman

The M20M takes the sealed battery from Concorde or Gill.  It is only this Gill battery that I'd say is "deficient." I have no experience with the normal lead acid battery from Gill. 

Batteryminder is a brand name of charger...seems to work pretty well.  Yes you can charge two batteries from the tender but the instructions basically say that both batteries need to be fully charged at first if you try to hook up two batteries (I can't figure that out...what's the point then?). 

I just switch batteries week to week or so as to which gets some electrical feeding.

18 minutes ago, Danb said:

Lance I use the three pronged plug on the outside of the plane currently 

I don't believe the Batteryminder has enough amperage to trip the relay through the GPU socket. Even if it did it's not going to charge both batteries, only the number 1.

Adding to Lance's input above...

The two battery wiring harness comes in an aviation grade vs RV grade... the wire insulation materials are actually different.

If you fly an experimental, the lower cost one may be of greater interest.

For TJ, I must have failed to maintain it.  Batteries drain at a much higher rate than I had ever imagined.  Gill batteries just lost their capacity faster than I expected even when using their specific Gill brand named battery charger... 

If you get six years of life out of a Gill battery, 3X what I could do....  a Concorde battery could go a lot longer for you...  :)

How often do you maintain your battery?

Note: I used the Gill, lead acid batteries with adjustable acid levels by unscrewing The vented caps.... maintained at annual.

Best regards,

-a-

5 hours ago, teejayevans said:

My previous Gill lasted 7 years, current is 3 yrs old. You either had charging issues or you failed to maintain it. Don't blame Gill.

Gills are okay on the 14V planes. Agree with the others that 28V Gills are crap. I buy a lot of batteries. Won't buy a Gill again. 

• Like 2

For TJ, I must have failed to maintain it.  Batteries drain at a much higher rate than I had ever imagined.  Gill batteries just lost their capacity faster than I expected even when using their specific Gill brand named battery charger... 
If you get six years of life out of a Gill battery, 3X what I could do....  a Concorde battery could go a lot longer for you...  
How often do you maintain your battery?
Note: I used the Gill, lead acid batteries with adjustable acid levels by unscrewing The vented caps.... maintained at annual.
Best regards,
-a-

First, I check and add DISTILLED water every couple of months (basically before any trips). If you add tap water that would kill the battery. If you let it drop below the plates you've waited too long.
Flooded batteries lose about 30% of their charge in a month, I fly weekly so don't need to trickle charge it. These are not deep cycle type, deep discharges are hard on it. Long hot starts are bad cause they drain the battery. Do the the big 6 cylinder engines use the same battery as Lycoming 4 cylinder?
The AGMs being no maintenance and can take abuse that flooded batteries can't, but if cared for the Gills should last 3-5 years, depending on how often you fly. More flying, more starts, especially hot starts, less battery life.
If Concord made a flooded battery they would have the same problem, AGMs is simply a better technology, but it's more expensive, you get what you pay for.
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

you get what you pay for.

sometimes you do, not always though.

In the case of the 24 volt batteries for Mooneys, the price on Aircraft Spruce is 32% more for a Concorde but it's been my experience that they work at least 200% as long (100% longer). What is the cost of having a battery fail when you get to the airport and having to scrub a trip? It's been my experience that the Concorde is less than half the price of a Gill when you factor in the life.

To me it would be even more important in a 12 volt since you only have one battery . . it better be the best you can find. (the Concorde is 36% more than the Gill in intial price).

40 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

First, I check and add DISTILLED water every couple of months (basically before any trips). If you add tap water that would kill the battery. If you let it drop below the plates you've waited too long.
Flooded batteries lose about 30% of their charge in a month, I fly weekly so don't need to trickle charge it. These are not deep cycle type, deep discharges are hard on it. Long hot starts are bad cause they drain the battery. Do the the big 6 cylinder engines use the same battery as Lycoming 4 cylinder?
The AGMs being no maintenance and can take abuse that flooded batteries can't, but if cared for the Gills should last 3-5 years, depending on how often you fly. More flying, more starts, especially hot starts, less battery life.
If Concord made a flooded battery they would have the same problem, AGMs is simply a better technology, but it's more expensive, you get what you pay for.

This is the problem.  So many long bodies out there flying less than 40 hrs a year. With two batteries, one that might just sit unused for months.  I've been slow to change and I'm sure it has cost me dearly with 4 gill doorstops in my garage and two more in the plane.  However when I purchased my plane it had two concord batteries that needed to be replaced (1 that was two years old and the other was just over three). So in thirteen years I have purchased 6 gill batteries with the last set due to be replaced next spring. I'll probably just try the concord and see what happens. 

'I use the proper batteryminder and alternate between batteries every time I fly. 

I have had poor luck with Gill R35A 14V batteries. I would not recommend Gill batteries to any Mooney owners. My last Gill R35A lasted only 3 months. Gill would not honor their warranty without me completing extensive testing on their defective battery. I recently replaced my Concorde RG35AXC battery after 6+ years. It would still start my M20J but had less cracking power. Also, the Concorde RG batteries do not need servicing other than routine charging & do not corrode the battery box.

Darrel

• Like 2