Clear AvGas?

XXX

Has anyone experienced clear AvGas? I took on some fuel this morning and as is my custom, I assisted while the line guy filled my tanks. I know it is uncommon to find water immediately after adding fuel but I always check anyway. The fuel I sumped was clear and the smell was a bit off as well. I verified the truck was placarded 100ll and checked my receipt which confirmed that I paid for 100ll. There is no way it was jetA by sight or smell and not mo gas either. This fuel had no color and the smell was less "sweet" than what I am accustomed to, more of an alcohol type odor. I discussed it with a Bo pilot that had just fueled and he didn't seem to be concerned. I couldn't find anything here or on Google so after watching the Bo depart, I felt it was safe to go too. My trip home was perfectly normal with no issues at all.

3 minutes ago, Chupacabra said:

Yes, I read that somewhere, but there would have been no mistaking the JetA smell and feel.

I think it would depend on the level of contamination as far as smell and feel, their might be something else that turns 100LL as well. 

11 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

Whats your fuel vendor? We have AvFuel and I've had times where the fuel was bluer than a Pepsi can, and other times clear as hell with only a very slight tinge of blue. I do the smear test on paper to confirm.

Alex, I was at Lynx FBO in Destin. I saw the AvFuel sign so I'm guessing that was the vendor. Interesting though since we have AvFuel in Ocala and it seems to be very consistent in color and smell. BTW did you get your exhaust squared away?

3 hours ago, Chupacabra said:

I discussed it with a Bo pilot that had just fueled and he didn't seem to be concerned. I couldn't find anything here or on Google so after watching the Bo depart, I felt it was safe to go too. 

The Bo pilot could have been a clueless guy ( yeah there aren't any of those in the GA world), and who is to say he took off on the tank he fueled with potentially bad avgas?

Glad it worked out for you.......I once strained a fuel selector and it was so dark I could not see through it....wish there was more consistency in the dye....

IMG_5539.JPG

Edited by Jim Peace
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Just out of interest on your visitors map, what was wrong with Finland and Norway? ;)  Norway in a Nutshell tour in winter is to die for, lovely. 

Nothing is wrong with those countries....I just have not been paid to fly there yet......I have 18 more years to go,,,,hopefully it will happen....

I tend to hang out in the pac rim these days.....can't find a visitors map for that.......

**Caution**

100LL in the US is pale blue...

When it comes out clear, that is a sign of water in the tank.

Do not expect to be able to run the engine on water.

When taking a sample that is clear... spit in it.  If spit mixes, its water... if the spit floats, it's not...

Now, if you have clear gasoline in the tank, that's not 100LL.

Ask whoever put it in there, what is it?

That is in the category of 'do not use, until you know what it is...'  it is probably best used in Airport tugs after that...

PP thoughts only.

Best regards,

-a-

Went to the hangar to change the oil this afternoon and thought it would be good to get another look at that fuel. I poured some onto a white paper towel and there is absolutely no color. Smells like fuel, just not as sweet, no way it's water as I flew two hours home on it. I'm going to go with Alex and say it has barely any dye as compared to what I'm used to. 

• Like 2

Any idea how it got in there?

Did you contact the fuel service /FBO guy?

Since fuel gets mixed in a tank before getting delivered... it is possible they accidently left out the dye.  But they could have left out other things as well.  Or not have the right octane... which can melt the pistons via an unnoticeable pinging...

I would want to get to the bottom of it before risking an engine problem or tank sealant issue.

We recently saw a Long Body Mooney get fueled with jet fuel, the flight lasted a few miles before gliding into the ocean...

FBOs have a plan when they accidently misfuel a tank.  It is normal to drain and refill... a few teaspoons of bad fuel won't show up in the big picture... but the wrong octane or the wrong fuel can be pretty hazardous.

Best regards,

-a-

I had that one time about 25 years ago. I showed it to the FBO and said it wasn't avgas. They called the fuel company and they called back an hour later and said that they accidently delivered premium Mogas. 

I drained out all but five gallons and flew to the next airport and topped off. It ran fine.

The funny thing is the fuel had been in there for three days and 15 planes had bought gas. I was the first one to notice.

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Any idea how it got in there?

Did you contact the fuel service /FBO guy?

Since fuel gets mixed in a tank before getting delivered... it is possible they accidently left out the dye.  But they could have left out other things as well.  Or not have the right octane... which can melt the pistons via an unnoticeable pinging...

I would want to get to the bottom of it before risking an engine problem or tank sealant issue.

We recently saw a Long Body Mooney get fueled with jet fuel, the flight lasted a few miles before gliding into the ocean...

FBOs have a plan when they accidently misfuel a tank.  It is normal to drain and refill... a few teaspoons of bad fuel won't show up in the big picture... but the wrong octane or the wrong fuel can be pretty hazardous.

Best regards,

-a-

I topped off in Dayton OH, I19 and flew to Cumberland , MD. Topped off again at CBE and flew to GMU. Topped off at GMU and flew to DNS. Fuel was blue until DNS. Where I bought 20 gallons. This is where it went clear. I'm going to show a sample to the manager at my fbo tomorrow and get his opinion. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I had that one time about 25 years ago. I showed it to the FBO and said it wasn't avgas. They called the fuel company and they called back an hour later and said that they accidently delivered premium Mogas. 

25 years ago Mogas was still gasoline, not sure what this crap is they are selling is now

There is an ATSM standard for 100LL.  If what you buy does not comply, the supplier is liable for misrepresentation and damages.   Just be sure the damages are a drain, cleaning, and refuel and not bent metal...because one can also argue that the PIC is responsible for ensuring the fuel complies with the systems on the airplane.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RLCarter said:

25 years ago Mogas was still gasoline, not sure what this crap is they are selling is now

It is a mixture of isomerate, hydrocracked gasoline, alkylate, and fluid catalytic cracked gasoline. Then blended with Ethanol.

Avgas is usually pure Alkylate with TEL added for octane. 

Of course they are blended for octane and RVP.

• Like 1