Been a Away for awhile...

10 weeks ago I had to have my ankle reconstructed

7470acafd13f4758a046abb48ddc83ce.jpg

That was four days after surgery when I got a hard cast.

dd414000ddc206744763787d3de9f193.jpg

When the cast came off four weeks ago.

Rehab has been going quickly if painfully, and I'm working to get my strength, control and range of motion back.

Obviously I haven't flown since the week before the surgery.

Very much looking forward to getting back in the air. Between "Stick an Rudder" (& my other training stuff) and Controller/Trade a Plane, I'm getting pretty antsy :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's see:  tore 2 of the 3 peroneal tendons, brevis and longus, cartilage damage and an avulsion fracture, so there were bone chips and other debris in the joint.  

Gravity and time are inevitable, and I'm a now-46-year-old paratrooper.  

I'm also an about-to-be-retired Special Operations paratrooper, so there's that.

Lastly, I need to have a shoulder reconstructed.  I've delayed it long enough that I risk permanent loss of range of motion, so I'm going to have to further delay my flight training, which bums me out. 

Thats going to leave a scar.  Had two knee surgeries over the years and two years ago I had a shoulder reconstructed.  I though, ya ok I have things to do tomorrow so lets get on with it.  Surgeon said I don't think you understand, this is a little different than a knee.  Boy was he right, bad experience that was, I did fly maybe five months later but the pain stayed for a long time, he suggested it was because the surgery is so close to the neck.  Two years later though, the per-surgery pain is gone, but it really was a long game.  Ill think I will just leave the other one alone (rotator cuff on the other).

Because I'm still on Active Duty for another 8 months, I have access to perhaps the best physical therapy in the DoD. Special Operations has its advantages.  I'm in PT 5 times a week, I'm able to run for short periods on the anti-gravity treadmill.  The fine motor skills are still crap though.  We're doing electro-stimulation to re-learn how to fire the muscles above the graft, and with that, the control will come.

I'd convinced myself that the shoulder could wait, but my Dr. of PT told me that waiting increased the likelihood that I'd need a replacement, and I do NOT need those problems.  Also, even though I'll still have access to the same medical care as Active Duty Soldiers (retirees vs veterans), I won't have access to the PT facility 5 times a week, or essentially, as often as they are open for business.

I've got adult kids, grandkids, an active wife and a love of flying.  Timetable is altered, but I'll get this sorted and back in the air, training.  Frustrating is all.

Glad you are on the mend and getting excellent care.  Maybe a rudder pedal station?  I had a right leg cast after an Achilles injury.  Pushing those pedals without problem was my number one focus :)

Thank you for your service.  110% on that PT supersoldier...

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda looks like my broken ankle after photo! :-)

A steel plate, 7 pins and 8 or 9 screws.

Doc said in 7 years I'd want the steel out. Said it would tell me when.

YUP, 7 1/2 yrs later it was telling me. Took all the junk out and no more pain!

Glad you are getting good help YOU DESERVE IT!