Initial FlightStream 510 Setup Questions

mooneyflyer

Just bought a Garmin FlightStream 510, but have 2 issues:

1. It has been processing Wireless Databases for more than 90 minutes... does it ever finish?
2. I tried to enable Bluetooth pairing by going to GTN 750 "SYSTEM", then "CONNEXT SETUP", but the option to enable bluetooth pairing is grayed out.

Anybody smarter than me can help me?

Thanks in advance,
Phil

Phil,

Is your blue tooth source on the radio rack, behind an aluminum panel and pointing 90° to the side, towards the N/number.

Russ posted a very nice photo with arrows recently.

I think they did a nice job of possibly defining the problem.

Or, I could be missing the point altogether.

No solution posted, as of yet...

see if this is related...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, mooneyflyer said:

1. It has been processing Wireless Databases for more than 90 minutes... does it ever finish?
2. I tried to enable Bluetooth pairing by going to GTN 750 "SYSTEM", then "CONNEXT SETUP", but the option to enable bluetooth pairing is grayed out.

Thanks in advance,
Phil

I ain't smarter, I've had the 510 for several months and finally got it doing good at AirVenture...

I have a GTN 750, FS 510, and GDL 88. I use Android tablet and phone. It should only take a few minutes to transfer charts from the Garmin Pilot device to the GTN. Flight Data is very quick. I may be wrong, the thing is infuriating simple but poorly documented, I think it uses bluetooth for sharing info from the GTN to the Garmin Pilot Device and Wifi to upload data from the Garmin Pilot Device to the GTN.

Frustrated, I took my FS 510 (SD card) to the Garmin tech service counter at KOSH. It took a couple of trips but I now have things working as intended. Turned out I had to Quick Format the FS 510 card. After that the devices quickly shook hands. By sure you have a Wifi handshake before opening Garmin Pilot. 

You should note that the wifi connection only stays active until database is transferred from ur device to the 750/650 then it automatically disconnects.
A problem I had was my 978 traffic from the 345 would not display on 650 or Pilot. 1090 was fine. It appears the Bluetooth fr the 345 and 510 were in conflict not allowing the traffic to display. Trek Lawlor at Garmin also a Beechtalker has advised that Tech has replicated the issue and will resolve it with the next software upgrade.
My workaround now is to configure my 650 so 510 Bluetooth and Wifi do not automatically connect. I have to manually connect to either when I want to transfer data (Wfi) or flight plans (BT).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks in advance,
Phil

Something isn't right. Updates should take at most a few minutes. Make sure you have the current Garmin Pilot app. There have been two updates for bugs in the last few days.

The unit should go into WiFi mode when you start up and once the iPad is connected, moving to the Garmin Pilot app should trigger the database check. We have a new cycle coming up so it should be updating.

Once the unit database check is done, it should move to Bluetooth and continue on. Have you paired it previously?

I will be headed to the airport shortly. Let me know if you want specific screens checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's my question.  I turned on the 750 and it immediately provided Status "Processing Wireless Databases... which is necessary for future wireless updating."

i waited 90 minutes... nada.

then I clicked on SKIP and tried to Bluetooth pair by selecting SYSTEM-->CONNEXT SETUP, but could not enable pairing.

i had loaded all databases from flygarmin to 510 in advance

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Something isn't right. Updates should take at most a few minutes. Make sure you have the current Garmin Pilot app. There have been two updates for bugs in the last few days.

The unit should go into WiFi mode when you start up and once the iPad is connected, moving to the Garmin Pilot app should trigger the database check. We have a new cycle coming up so it should be updating.

Once the unit database check is done, it should move to Bluetooth and continue on. Have you paired it previously?

I will be headed to the airport shortly. Let me know if you want specific screens checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gimme a call at 8057698750 if you dont mind

Firsts off, I went through a couple of 510s before I got one that worked, but I was one of the first users.

1. Turn on the avionics in your panel.  When the 750 or 650 first screen comes up DON'T TOUCH A THING.  DON'T GO TO THE NEXT PAGE.  The top of the screen will show a line that says to connect to the WI-Fi network.

2. Without opening GP open your iPad and go to Setting.  You should see a 510 there.  Join THAT network.

3. Now go back and open GP.  The databases to be transferred should show up on your panel mounted avionics with check marks next to them.  Tap START and they should transfer quickly EXCEPT for the FlightCharts database.  This takes about 10-15 minutes.  It's long enough that I take the card home and transfer it manually.

For more information on this process open GP and tap on Connext, then tap on Flight Stream 510.  If it isn't connect to anything then the step by step procedure is listed there.