Tint and carpet

Well fellow Mooney owners..... Ive decided to keep my Mooney and sell my other toy, Midget Mustang. 

The Army is deciding to move me and found out having a kid at the same time as the move.... FML...

Than being said... I decided to pay some love to my Mooney as it will soon be my family's flagship. 

Tinted the windows and cleaned the carpet.

Attached are pictures of course....

If anyone is wanting a Midget Mustang, please send them my way. needs to go ASAP!!

-Philip

IMG_8330.jpg

IMG_8333.jpg

IMG_8332.jpg

IMG_8331.jpg

IMG_8329.jpg

IMG_8326.JPG

IMG_8325.JPG

IMG_8309.JPG

IMG_8308.JPG

IMG_8335.JPG

IMG_8334.JPG

• Like 1

You did the front windows as well? I was thinking of doing that but worried about visibility at night.

I did use some of the bubble type insulation and cut out pieces for all the side windows. It makes a big difference when parking and on the last long trip I just left he ones in the rear windows, it kept the cabin much cooler.

9 hours ago, philipneeper said:

I decided to pay some love to my Mooney as it will soon be my family's flagship. 

I saw your plane on the ramp last month when I stopped in to visit my son stationed at Ft. Stewart.

Where is your future duty location?  I just received notification of my final PCS prior to retirement.

Congratulations on the pending addition to the family.

6 hours ago, Supercop0184 said:

I wannna so tint but I'm afraid I'll Mess it up! I wouldn't even know what to get

It's really easy, and hard to mess up. I need to redo one of the back windows. It got some scratches in it for a certain cute niece that I gave a ride to. Fortunately it is inexpensive and I have plenty of left over. I will be going out to the hangar Monday or Tuesday when I get it back from having the 500hr mag inspection done and will replace that tint and take pictures and write up a "how-to."

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kpaul said:

I saw your plane on the ramp last month when I stopped in to visit my son stationed at Ft. Stewart.

Where is your future duty location?  I just received notification of my final PCS prior to retirement.

Congratulations on the pending addition to the family.

Thank you!

Im headed to FT Campbell. , where are you headed? 

This is the first month I've had her outside. She's usually my hangar queen.

1 hour ago, philipneeper said:

Thank you!

Im headed to FT Campbell. , where are you headed? 

This is the first month I've had her outside. She's usually my hangar queen.

I will be heading to Columbus, MS. 

I stopped at Ft. Campbell for fuel on the way back from OSH.  Outlaw Field (KCKV) had cheep fuel and a very nice FBO.

3 hours ago, kpaul said:

I will be heading to Columbus, MS. 

I stopped at Ft. Campbell for fuel on the way back from OSH.  Outlaw Field (KCKV) had cheep fuel and a very nice FBO.

I looking to go to Hopkinsville, KHVC. 

Outlaw is a little crowded for me, and KHVC has cheap fuel as well. :-)

I was out yesterday and replaced the tint on the one rear window that had gotten scratched up. I took pictures and wrote up how to tint your windows. I know many of you have already done it but others have expressed apprehension about doing it. Take a look at how easy it is. (And if you mess up a couple of times one roll of tint for $13.00 is enough to make a few mistakes and still have more left over.

Window Tinting - Made Easy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Skates97 said:

I was out yesterday and replaced the tint on the one rear window that had gotten scratched up. I took pictures and wrote up how to tint your windows. I know many of you have already done it but others have expressed apprehension about doing it. Take a look at how easy it is. (And if you mess up a couple of times one roll of tint for $13.00 is enough to make a few mistakes and still have more left over.

im going to hop over to Corona and let you do mine :lol:  I can just imagine the amount of bubbles and dog hair Ill leave under it.

4 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Come on over, I'd be happy to help you do it. 

Im going to go look at your "how to" and see if I can figure this out!Maybe TheTurtle and I can come in for an afternoon of tinting! HAHA! May as well hit Catalina while out there. Oooooo the options! Lemme go see if it's so easy a caveman can do it!!

THANKS FOR THE INFO by the way!

8 hours ago, Skates97 said:

I did this on my C and it was awesome! My method was a little more involved, so I'll be using @Skates97 method next time. I really need to get this done on the 252. I've got the tint, just need some time.

I also used the shiny bubble wrap to make window shades. Cheap, easy and very effective. The rear window shades have been in the windows since June. It will likely be October before it cools off enough to pull them down.

Thanks for posting!

I've done windows in cars and my condo, where I scissor to rough shape, position and squeegee the film flat, then grim with a razor blade against the glass. Don't think that will work well with plexiglass windows. What did you do???

I had good luck in my home with the UV blocking film, very little reduction in light but much less heat and no more fading after installation. May have to try it on the plane, once I figure out how to trim it to fit without using a razor blade against the window. 

25 minutes ago, Mooney_Mike said:

Don't get me wrong the tint looks fantastic and it probably keeps the interior a little cooler but the darker tints don't seem like a good idea to me.

I want the clearest most unobstructed visibility possible, it could be that extra second or two that matters to avoid a midair collision. I have had two very close near misses over the years so I am a little sensitive to the issue.

Tinted windows at night, in addition to the above, are going to reduce your peripheral visibility when taxing. You already have limited visibility out the side windows thanks to poor lighting, now you have darkened the windows with tint. Maybe at your home port it's no problem, but an unfamiliar field it is one more factor not in your favor. I have on many occasions found taxing at night to be one of the most challenging aspects of the entire flight. Unfamiliar fields, reduced visibility, runway incursions, ramp hazards, FOD... your only defence is literally your eyeballs.

I have no tint on my front side windows for those very reasons. However, I don't spend any time looking out my rear side windows when I'm taxiing or flying.

5 hours ago, Hank said:

I've done windows in cars and my condo, where I scissor to rough shape, position and squeegee the film flat, then grim with a razor blade against the glass. Don't think that will work well with plexiglass windows. What did you do???

Trim it as close as you can. If it is a little too big for the window then pull it away, trim a little off with scissors, and put back on. If you don't get it lined up you can pull it all the way off, spray a little water, and reapply. It's not a one chance type thing. 

1 hour ago, Mooney_Mike said:

Don't get me wrong the tint looks fantastic and it probably keeps the interior a little cooler but the darker tints don't seem like a good idea to me.

I want the clearest most unobstructed visibility possible, it could be that extra second or two that matters to avoid a midair collision. I have had two very close near misses over the years so I am a little sensitive to the issue.

Tinted windows at night, in addition to the above, are going to reduce your peripheral visibility when taxing. You already have limited visibility out the side windows thanks to poor lighting, now you have darkened the windows with tint. Maybe at your home port it's no problem, but an unfamiliar field it is one more factor not in your favor. I have on many occasions found taxing at night to be one of the most challenging aspects of the entire flight. Unfamiliar fields, reduced visibility, runway incursions, ramp hazards, FOD... your only defence is literally your eyeballs.

I went with the lightest tint they have. Even the light stuff makes a difference in the heat in the cabin. I appreciate the thoughts on the tint at night. After flying at night with the light tint on the rear windows many times and easily seeing through the rear tint lights, taxiways, other planes in the pattern and on the ground, etc I did put tint on the fronts. I haven't flown at night with it yet but plan on going flying this Wednesday evening. I'll see what I think of it and if I don't like it or feel it impedes my vision and safety I'll pull it and go back to the strip across the top of the window to just cut down on the sun beating down. I will provide an update after some night flight with it.

I'm not sure how tint on the sides of the plane are going to cause a runway incursion or running into a ramp hazard. It seems to me that if you are paying attention to what is out your windshield that you won't wander across a hold short line or run into something.

As a side note, I know that flying and driving are different, but I have been driving with light tint on my front windows for decades. It hasn't impacted my safety on the roads, many of which are much darker, less well lit, with worse signage than you get at an airport. (With some terrible drivers that you have to watch out for along with deer on mountain roads, pot holes, and lots of other FOD in the road. I guess I should knock on wood but 30 years of driving and never even a fender bender.)