Engine mounts

placolla

23 minutes ago, placolla said:

I'm ready for an overhaul of our TSIO360 in my K model.   The engine shop says that engine mounts for the LB version of this engine are about $3k.   Does that sound correct?

Seems very high for an engine that is already out. I known the mounts themselves are expensive. When my engine was out I don't think they charged labor to put the new mounts on. I would ask.

Seems very high for an engine that is already out. I known the mounts themselves are expensive. When my engine was out I don't think they charged labor to put the new mounts on. I would ask.

Agreed they should not be charging extra labor, just their retail price for their fair profit for new mounts. The old mounts came off with the engine and thus no extra labor to use new mounts when reinstalling.
I would also ask them to install with new hardware as well. But before they do that, if it was me, I would get the engine mount removed from the firewall (it's only 4 more bolts), carefully inspected for corrosion damage, chaffing etc and have it repaired (if need be) and refinished (either painted or powder coated). Now is the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

That's unethical. 10-15% to make a phone call to avail is one thing but that is crazy. 

I agree with Byron.  You should at least question them about the $1000 markup.  If nothing else, it shows you're not a just check-writer when it comes to aircraft maintenance. 

• Like 1

Right in there with Andy and Byron.  My IA allows (actually supports and encourages) me to research, shop for, and buy my own parts...no matter the part, or where they come from...Aviall, Spruce, AirPower...doesn't matter.  He knows he will always be paid a fair price for labor, so he allows me to get involved in the process as long as I order the correct thing under his guidance.  It actually saves him time, which he's thankful for.  I learn in the process, so it's a nice win-win.

To the OP - I do agree your shop has every right to make money on parts; but as others stated, it's a rediculous amount, and you should raise it with them before agreeing your scope of work.

Steve