G1000 w/EI tach -310 hp conversion

buddy

I have a 2005 M20R with the G1000 and the 310 hp was done I believe the following year. I know that the STC called for the EI digital tach to be installed because the MFD tach only went to 2500 rpm. I had the wass and 345R upgrade done about a year ago and also had the avionics shop replace my 2 G1000 screens and with that the MFD now goes to 2700 rpm. My question is now that my MFD goes to 2700 rpm can I remove the EI digital tach because it no longer works or do I need to have it repaired and reinstalled per the original STC? I would rather just remove it if it's possible.

Hey Buddy, I am not sure why that STC called for the digital tach unless it was to cover all non-GX's too.  The MDF could always show the 2700, its just that Brian selected the Ovation GX3 as airframe type in the config when he did your WAAS.  Maxwell did my 310 and just changed the airframe config from GX2 to GX3.  That then shows the 2700.  You should ask Brian about the digital tach but I doubt its needed.

Russ

• Like 1

Expect that you have a working RPM gauge on the G1000.  No need for a back-up rpm gauge...

my original O1 tach only went to 2500 redline.  The tach was recalibrated for 2700, a new red line painted... same instrument.

The other modern tachs can aid in calculating rpm drops and FF at peak.  Nice to have, but not required...

check the STC on how they wrote the requirements vs. recommendations... it should be almost readable when you look at it... 

Losing the tach isn't quite like losing an AI when it comes to instrument failures...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic or instrument guy...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm...the original POH cites (cited?) the EI Tac as required and the G1000 Tac as advisory, or do I misremember?

My G1000 Tach currently fluctuates between 0 and overspeed when I get above 3000ft and/or get close to cruise speed. Loose connections from the magneto it seems. Happily I have the EI Tach so I just periodically get the cowl of and reseat/jiggle/adjust the wires and I'm back in business (will hopefully get more permanently fixed at the next annual).

Once you have your GDU104x MFD converted per the 310BHP STC and Garmin's procedure, it becomes your primary again for RPM, so your AFM should reflect same, and the EI can come out.  Give Brian a call on your fluctuating RPM.  He has seen these before and can offer guidance.  The fix is relatively easy, if I remember correctly.

Steve

• Like 1

Robert, I had the same problem with mine the G1000 tach went crazy but the EI tach was fine. Mooney uses cheap connectors on the 3 wires coming from the mag, once I replaced those connectors I had no further problems.

• Like 1