I have owned an 1967 M20F now for 10 years.  I have redone the avionics, new paint, tanks stripped / resealed, and even an engine rebuild back in 2015.  Back in 2010, i did a rough cleanup of the interior and had lived with it up to this point.  I had been looking for a good shop to do an interior job for me.  In my search, i came across Jaeger Aviation in Willmar, MN. (KBDH).   This was the same airport i had my tanks stripped / resealed ( WeepNoMore, http://www.weepnomorellc.com).  I made a visit to Willmar and Bruce Jaeger showed me his Spatial panel system he designed for old Mooney's.  The Spatial system enables easy removal / replacement of the panels without using a ton of screws, which was one of my biggest gripes when i reworked the interior.  My visit was back in 2016.  This year, i decided to really redo my interior.  I had SCS Interiors (https://www.scs-interiors.com) recover the seats in leather and also bought their carpet kit pre-fitted for M20F.

So, i made the trip Aug 1, 2017 and i worked alongside Bruce Jaeger, which, saved me several labor hours.  He taught me how to repair, patch, and refinish the old panels that we would be re-using.  What a nice outcome!  Along with the new Spatial panels, the old window frames, baggage area plastic, nose gear housing, and headliner look practically new!  We removed about 350 screws from the old interior and only re-installed about 40.  The side panels and spar panel are easily removed for maintenance & inspection.  i have attached some photos of the a job well done.   Feel free to ask me any questions.

If you would like to contact Bruce about redoing you interior, http://www.jaegeraviation.com, bruce@jaegeraviation.com, (320) 444-3042

DSC_9470-001.JPG

DSC_9471-001.JPG

DSC_9473-001.JPG

DSC_9479-001.JPG

DSC_9481-001.JPG

DSC_9482-001.JPG

DSC_9487-001.JPG

DSC_9488-001.JPG

DSC_9490-001.JPG

DSC_9492-001.JPG

DSC_9494-001.JPG

DSC_9498-001.JPG

DSC_9501-001.JPG

IMG_9970.jpg

IMG_9974.jpg

IMG_9975.jpg

IMG_9976.jpg

IMG_9978.jpg

IMG_9979.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...

Pockets are held in by an automotive push in type fastener.  The leather seating and carpet interior was supplied by SCS Interiors, https://www.scs-interiors.com. Really nice folks.  I removed & shipped my seating to them for the leather seating  job.   You order the carpet online.  I think they will send you swatches if you want.  After you order, they email you drawings of the carpet so you can verify fit into the plane.  Mine came in and I do not recall have to make any mods.

3 hours ago, BRBENNETT said:

Pockets are held in by an automotive push in type fastener.  The leather seating and carpet interior was supplied by SCS Interiors, https://www.scs-interiors.com. Really nice folks.  I removed & shipped my seating to them for the leather seating  job.   You order the carpet online.  I think they will send you swatches if you want.  After you order, they email you drawings of the carpet so you can verify fit into the plane.  Mine came in and I do not recall have to make any mods.

Thanks for the update. Bruce is coming to my airport in late November to work on my interior. I am going to do something different and have the top half of the interior replaced with a factory new Ovation upper panel. Bruce is a purist and I appreciate his efforts to restore the original materials where possible. That said, I know that 40+ year old plastic is prone to crack and fixing materials is an interim repair. I also don't like the Wemac style he uses and want the cleaner looking Ovation style.

On a side note, one of our Mooney owners here replaced the top half of the passenger door with a Plane Plastic replacement part. It is clear the Plane Plastic part is much beefier than the factory original. It is also something that needs to be be trimmed A LOT to make the fit work. So, repairing old plastic makes sense from a labor perspective. 

• 1 year later...
On 10/30/2017 at 8:48 PM, Marauder said:

Thanks for the update. Bruce is coming to my airport in late November to work on my interior. I am going to do something different and have the top half of the interior replaced with a factory new Ovation upper panel. Bruce is a purist and I appreciate his efforts to restore the original materials where possible. That said, I know that 40+ year old plastic is prone to crack and fixing materials is an interim repair. I also don't like the Wemac style he uses and want the cleaner looking Ovation style.

On a side note, one of our Mooney owners here replaced the top half of the passenger door with a Plane Plastic replacement part. It is clear the Plane Plastic part is much beefier than the factory original. It is also something that needs to be be trimmed A LOT to make the fit work. So, repairing old plastic makes sense from a labor perspective. 

How about a pirep on that interior project?  Particularly the ovation upper panel conversion.  I've often wondered about salvaging a newer interior to retrofit.

4 hours ago, 65eTurbo said:

How about a pirep on that interior project?  Particularly the ovation upper panel conversion.  I've often wondered about salvaging a newer interior to retrofit.

I did it using Bruce's PDF.  It works ok.  If I was to do it again I would just use fiberglass instead of the tape/epoxy method.  I'm seeing it recrack.