Mooney 20B $28,000 - Sold

TTaylor

I'm not the owner, but it is sitting in the hangar across from mine. Nice B with low time engine.  It is bare bone avionics wise but looks clean other wise. Pictures posted on barnstormers.

Mooney 20B
1x1.gif

MOONEY 20B • $28,000 • AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE SALE The B Model was the first all metal Mooney & was the transition to the 20C. It has a McCauley propeller which has no repetitive AD's. July 2017 inspection completed. Total time of airframe and engine is 2855 hrs. with 435 hrs on complete engine overhaul including new slick magnetos. Engine overhaul completed by Utah State University Aviation Technology Program. Has been continuously hangared for the past 40 years. A strong reliable airplane with good speed and economy Engine has normally aspirated Lycoming 036. Hangared at Logan-Cache Airport in Utah. • Contact Barbara and Carl Howlett, Owner - located Preston, ID USA • Telephone: 7025922122 . • Posted July 23, 2017

Anyone have any thoughts on this plane? Price, condition....? I didn't know B models existed, best I can tell , very similar to a C. Price seems OKAY based on Engine Hrs, I know to have thorough PPI if I get, I am more curious to performance, real world, and pricing. Thanks

Thomas

Briefly, 

The B is a fully aluminum airplane that morphed into the C.  The C was a pretty developed plane at the end...

The morphing was small steps.  All, little nice things to have that came along the way...

As for flying differences, the B had a short rudder that came with a short throw...

The C increased the throw first, then later increased the rudder's length...

Jim's list covers the details...

A PPI is good for protecting the wallet...

Best regards,

-a-

I gratefully appreciate the information. I am a little worried about the useful load aspect after reading. Haven't called him yet, as the UL may be a deal breaker. Quick simple question, I am low time (140hrs) , and after reading the changes made, rudder etc.. would this be a plane more suited for a more experienced pilot, or would it be OKAY for a newer pilot.I don't really have a "mission" as we decided to rent our beach house annually, and we wouldn't be traveling anywhere specifically. But of course would be traveling and seeing "sights"  I suppose. I guess what Im trying to say is I don't fly in in-climate weather if I can,  I am VFR only. Again thanks for the wealth of knowledge. 

Thomas

ICU,

The Bs and Cs were the best Mooney had to offer in the early 60s.  But that does not limit them to experienced pilots only...

They are not great basic training planes.  All the changes that came over time were nice to haves.  The more effective rudder minimizes some X-wind landings that may need to be done on a different runway.  This is where skill gained is more important...

180hp Bs and Cs usually have pretty good UL.

What UL are you looking for?

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 2:47 PM, TTaylor said:

I'm not the owner, but it is sitting in the hangar across from mine. Nice B with low time engine.  It is bare bone avionics wise but looks clean other wise. Pictures posted on barnstormers.     AIRCRAFT HAS BEEN SOLD SOLD SOLD SOLD!!!  OWNER IS UNABEL TO DELETE AD...… 

Mooney 20B
1x1.gif

MOONEY 20B • $28,000 • AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE SALE The B Model was the first all metal Mooney & was the transition to the 20C. It has a McCauley propeller which has no repetitive AD's. July 2017 inspection completed. Total time of airframe and engine is 2855 hrs. with 435 hrs on complete engine overhaul including new slick magnetos. Engine overhaul completed by Utah State University Aviation Technology Program. Has been continuously hangared for the past 40 years. A strong reliable airplane with good speed and economy Engine has normally aspirated Lycoming 036. Hangared at Logan-Cache Airport in Utah. • Contact Barbara and Carl Howlett, Owner - located Preston, ID USA • Telephone: 7025922122 . • Posted July 23, 2017