KT-74 slide in replacement

Bartman

Any PIREPS on the KT-74 as a slide in replacement for the KT-76A ?  I already have the GNS 430W, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger and go ahead and get it done now rather than wait. There may be cheaper options and options with more bells and whistles for ADS-B compliance, but if I don't need to have the tray replaced it may be the way to go.  My old transponder is on the bottom of the stack and even if I did change anything it would be to something above it anyway. 

Edited by Bartman

I installed a KT-74 to replace my KT-76C.  I think for a minimum installation (no traffic on 430 and audio to intercom) you may be able to just install it and connect it to 430.  I ended up doing a full install and had to add an airspeed switch.  This was a couple of years ago and the airspeed switch may not be needed anymore...

Driver

We had the KT74 installed as a slide-in replacement. It functions very well, but due to the unit design and its location in our panel (high and angled upward) the display is a little hard to read in bright light.   Before you pull the trigger, you might arrange for a dry-run to make sure that you like the display as installed.

It is only a slide-in replacement if you install it as a Mode S transponder WITHOUT ADS-B Out.  To get it to comply with the ADS-B Out requirement using the Garmin 430W/530W, it MUST be installed in accordance with the Peregrine STC.  I can't find a copy of it online, but what I understand is it requires:

• installed in a FAA radio shop
  • transponder cable upgraded to RG-400 instead of RG-58
  • an installed airspeed switch on the pitot line
  • connection to the WAAS source

Did I miss anything?

The original tray can be reused if you don't use the second connector, which is for aural alerts and TIS traffic.  On the other hand, when I spoke with Pacific Coast Avionics, they shrugged and said it's simple to replace the tray so they might as well.  They also suggested my old KT-76A might not work with the KT-74 tray if I wanted to sell or reuse it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

It is only a slide-in replacement if you install it as a Mode S transponder WITHOUT ADS-B Out.  To get it to comply with the ADS-B Out requirement using the Garmin 430W/530W, it MUST be installed in accordance with the Peregrine STC.  I can't find a copy of it online, but what I understand is it requires:

• installed in a FAA radio shop
  • transponder cable upgraded to RG-400 instead of RG-58
  • an installed airspeed switch on the pitot line
  • connection to the WAAS source

Did I miss anything?

The original tray can be reused if you don't use the second connector, which is for aural alerts and TIS traffic.  On the other hand, when I spoke with Pacific Coast Avionics, they shrugged and said it's simple to replace the tray so they might as well.  They also suggested my old KT-76A might not work with the KT-74 tray if I wanted to sell or reuse it.

yes, the antenna has to be blade type like the CI-105 or KA-60 (not those steel rod type)

• Like 1

I had mine installed a couple of years ago. It was connected to my 430W using the same tray as my 76A since I was not having the aural alert installed. Already had the correct cable and antenna. Dropped off at 0800 and ready for pick up at 1600. Checked out clean on the first test and been great ever since.

55 minutes ago, OR75 said:

yes, the antenna has to be blade type like the CI-105 or KA-60 (not those steel rod type)

Dang it, I knew there was something I was forgetting :)  I'm guessing most M20J's have the blade type antennas, though

15 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

Dang it, I knew there was something I was forgetting :)  I'm guessing most M20J's have the blade type antennas, though

Which is strange and maybe specific to the STC- I can't find much reference to specific antenna models or designs in some of the other Trig based install manuals or the garmin manuals.  

9 hours ago, bradp said:

Which is strange and maybe specific to the STC- I can't find much reference to specific antenna models or designs in some of the other Trig based install manuals or the garmin manuals.  

If you look at the Garmin install manual, it specifies TSO-66 and TSO-74 antenna (or TS0-112 that also meet VSWR)

I think the CI-101 is only TSO-74 but not TSO-66

Don't ask me what the difference between the 2 TSO is cause I don't know

I have a KT-74 with a GNS 430w 

works great since I installed it. Good low cost / bare bone option to be compliant . You get TIS-A traffic ( not B. ) on the GNS so only in congested airspace which is where it matters most 

other equipments do more from an "in" standpoint but the "in" is not mandated by our friends of the FAA so I expect a lot of low cost options to a tablet ( you already can get an ads-b receiver for less than $100 and display what you want on an iPad )