What to do with Old Cylinders

So I have 4 cylinders and pistons that were removed during 7463V's annual in 2015. The engine was topped because I got a killer deal on 4 brand new jugs from AirPower. They were all above 68/80, but the engine was right at 1500hrs, and I figured it would be better to go ahead and spend a little money having the internals inspected and the top replaced while at it. I took the removed cylinders to Continental for inspection and discussing overhaul as a "just in case" for future use,  but I found out that they wanted more to overhaul than I paid AirPower for new. That being said, the old cylinders are all sitting in my hangar in boxes, and I'm not quite sure what to do with them.

My questions: Is there any market for resale, recycle, or reuse?  Are there other channels for overhaul beyond Continental? Or do I just throw them away? 

Just don't want to be a bad steward of good materials if there's something that can be done with them other than tossing them in a big blue bin. The valves were removed by continental for inspection, but they're all packaged away in the boxes too.   Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

29 minutes ago, rubixcube2k3 said:

So I have 4 cylinders and pistons that were removed during 7463V's annual in 2015. The engine was topped because I got a killer deal on 4 brand new jugs from AirPower. They were all above 68/80, but the engine was right at 1500hrs, and I figured it would be better to go ahead and spend a little money having the internals inspected and the top replaced while at it. I took the removed cylinders to Continental for inspection and discussing overhaul as a "just in case" for future use,  but I found out that they wanted more to overhaul than I paid AirPower for new. That being said, the old cylinders are all sitting in my hangar in boxes, and I'm not quite sure what to do with them.

My questions: Is there any market for resale, recycle, or reuse?  Are there other channels for overhaul beyond Continental? Or do I just throw them away? 

Just don't want to be a bad steward of good materials if there's something that can be done with them other than tossing them in a big blue bin. The valves were removed by continental for inspection, but they're all packaged away in the boxes too.   Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. 

How about this:

2 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Put them up for sale on EBay. There are plenty of places that will repair/overhaul the cylinders. A used first run cylinder is worth about $100 to $200 as a core. Especially if it has serviceable valves.

Thanks! I thought about that and was a little concerned about any potential liability.

6 minutes ago, rubixcube2k3 said:

Thanks! I thought about that and was a little concerned about any potential liability.

Yeah - me too....

I have 6 old first run cylinders from a top 500 hours ago.  I was saving them in case I might want them again when I decide to do a major overhaul eventually.  But also - I just don't know what to do with them.  I don't want to direct sale them to people for reasons of liability, but I would consider selling them to a business if there was a business that takes them.  I would sooner sell them to a business for $100 (plus shipping) than to an individual for $200 (plus shipping) for this reason.

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

Yeah - me too....

I have 6 old first run cylinders from a top 500 hours ago.  I was saving them in case I might want them again when I decide to do a major overhaul eventually.  But also - I just don't know what to do with them.  I don't want to direct sale them to people for reasons of liability, but I would consider selling them to a business if there was a business that takes them.  I would sooner sell them to a business for $100 (plus shipping) than to an individual for $200 (plus shipping) for this reason.

I might be interested in them

I held onto mine for 2 years, they finally went in the dumpster a few months back...Mine were channel chrome from their first overhauls so not much value as a core. New cylinders are relatively cheap (especially parallel valve Lycoming) so it doesn't make as much sense these days to overhaul versus replace with new. 

Those that work on their engines might consider cutting the bases of the old scrap cylinder off. Then for doing future cylinder work, you can bolt the base down while the cylinder(s) are off to keep the through bolts under tension and crank bearings in place if the prop gets disturbed. Especially important when removing more than cyl or topping an engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1