Step Retract Bellows M20C

Does anyone know if Brittain has bellows for a 1965 M20C retractable step.  I read a few threads that are a couple years old that mentioned they were having problems with that particular part.  I noticed today that I did not hear the unmistakeable "thunk" when I shut my motor off.  Investigation revealed a 2-3 inch split on the bottom of the bellows by the pulley wheel.  I did a quick repair with 3M electrical tape but it doesn't appear to be working and I can't find a volunteer to stick their head out the baggage door while flying to check on the step...:D  I'll call Brittain on Monday but often times Mooneyspace can get the answer a bit faster...

Edited by Drumstick

My understanding is that they lost the mold and can't get a new one made. Please update this after the call.

The retractable step is a somewhat rare device and many Mooniacs have just disabled it.

I've been looking into rubber care as a prophylactic against future failure as I love the step. Just too cool.

You might pull  off the boot and try to restore it with liquid silicone sealant--just a thought and maybe illegal, although the step sort of lies in a nether region. Not quite part of the autopilot or needed for airworthiness, and then again maybe.

The mold was damaged years ago and they had it repaired, but it wasn't done correctly and they haven't done anything about in 7 years or so. I did a ton of research and found out that it was the same bellows used on the Yaw damper of a King Air. I purchased the Beechcraft one and replaced mine. Will post the part number when I get home

• Like 2

After talking with Brittan multiple times for over a year it was always the same story "the people that make the bellows in California dropped and broke the mold", Brittain was the one that told me about the Beech part

15 minutes ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

The problem is not the mold it is getting an STC for a new compound as certification rubber is no longer available. Call Brittain. They helped me. 

Or just use the King Air part and install it as owner produced/provided.

I spoke with Brittain 2 days ago.  They have a mold which produced rubber parts that were took think.  They are working on that issue and wxpect to be able to supply parts soon.  They have a waiting list.  I would put yourself on that list at this time.  It will also help them assess the demand for the parts.

John Breda

8 minutes ago, M20F-1968 said:

I spoke with Brittain 2 days ago.  They have a mold which produced rubber parts that were took think.  They are working on that issue and wxpect to be able to supply parts soon.  They have a waiting list.  I would put yourself on that list at this time.  It will also help them assess the demand for the parts.

John Breda

Same story I was told 2 years ago, searching MS you'll find it's the same story they have told for the past 5 or so years. Beech went elsewhere when Brittian couldn't supply them, that just leaves only the Mooney that uses that part, just not enough demand for the cost is my guess 

22 hours ago, RLCarter said:

After talking with Brittan multiple times for over a year it was always the same story "the people that make the bellows in California dropped and broke the mold", Brittain was the one that told me about the Beech part

O.K. We got different stories.  They provided me with a step servo...

???

On ‎8‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:45 AM, M20F-1968 said:

John Breda

Straight from Brittain:

Thank you for contacting us in regards to your Mooney retractable step servo.  We currently have a backlog on repair/replacement of the servo due to a tooling issue on that piece of rubber.  We are very close to resolution of the problem and would ask for your patience while we work it out. 

I have added our name to our backlog and as soon as we have acceptable articles from our vendor I will get in touch with you and have you send your step servo over for repair as needed.  We estimate this cost around $180.00 and hope to have this tooling issue resolved by months end.

If we may be of assistance to you in the meantime please don’t hesitate to contact us again.

Best regards,

Cecilia Henderson

Manager,

BRITTAIN INDUSTRIES, INC.

(918)836-7701

• Like 1

I also talked to Brittain about a month ago, same story.  They claimed samples on hand from repaired mold but yet to be qualified.  My tear is also about an inch down on the pulley end.  I had some luck with a small piece of Gorrilla Clear Tape, applied externally.  You can not go all the way around as this area appears to roll out on full retraction.  The bellows/cylinder assembly is fairly easy to remove at both ends so that you can work on it.  A small hand vacuum pump, used to check auto vacuum systems, is handy for checking all PC bellows components.  Do not buy Harbor Freight as it poops out after one use. 

Search on this and you will find my post with pictures , part numbers, and where I got them,  I fixed mine up with these and it works great still to this day I don't know how to take my post and paste it in here,  but you can use the subject line  vacuum step rubber servo and you should be able to find it,  sept 28th 2016  good luck

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Here is the real story of the Mooney retractable step servo manufactured by Brittain Industries.  

The rubber bellow for the step servo (P/N 4059-1) is a part number 1551 (seal only).  It is not manufactured by Beech and it is not used in the KingAir.  It is however used in the Beech elevator servos in conjunction with their pitch stabilization systems.  The Brittain rudder boost servo used in the Beech King Air is a P/N 1900-7.4-1 which uses a rubber bellow P/N 1900-140.  These are all proprietary parts of Brittain Industries, Inc. and the seals 1551 and 1900-140 are very different in length and diameter.

The 1551 mold was damaged by a vendor in Missouri in 2013 and since that time the seal has been available only sporadically as the mold was moved from vendor to vendor in an effort to salvage the tool.  In November 2016 it landed with a vendor in Ohio who has repaired the guide pins and the mold core and the mold now produces a cylindrical part.  However, because of previous un-approved revisions to the mold the material called for on the design drawings now cures too quickly during the molding process resulting in a seal that is too thick for use with the servo assembly.  Brittain is in the process of both experimenting with other materials and also working to produce a new mold entirely.  

In addition to use in the Mooney retractable step servo the Brittain seal P/N 1551 is also used in the Precise Flight speed brake system and as noted above, used by Brittain for production of Beech elevator servos in conjunction with their pitch stabilization systems.

All other Brittain servo assemblies; aileron, rudder, Mooney elevator and King Air rudder boost are still being repaired and produced new by the company in Tulsa Oklahoma and they plan to have the step and Beech elevator back online by years end with the creation of the new mold for the 1551 seal.

• Like 2