My new jacks with built in safety stands

MARZ

My life, no, but to swing the gear to check a problem that I had - yes, it works great.  The table tops are 1" thick oak.  A local A&P came over and took a picture and examined them - he was impressed by their rigidity for the "thin conduit" and wood.  He has a pair of the $400+/each version for day-to-day.  They work for what I needed them for, at a 1/8th of the cost.  PrivatePilot only.

If I had access to metal machinery and welding equipment, they would be all metal.

This was my solution, the jack can fail and be replaced while the plane is still on the stand. Not as easy to fabricate but they have been used to lift a Cessna 310 (with a different vertical ram ((Red piece)) and are hell for stout. I also fab'd an A-Frame and a tail stand for the Mooney, Rock Solid and I sleep very well at night knowing the plane isn't going fall...(I hate jacking airplanes..lol)

JackStands.JPG.732b037b9554eee3dc2d24221b60e4b5.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, N6758N said:

I just ordered two of the bottle jacks. I will be getting some scrap metal and firing up the welder soon enough!

Don't post pictures or someone will say "you trust your life and your plane to something you welded" ? :)  (See my album)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Check out the view of the roof after this Mooney E model fell off its jacks.

IMG_0503.thumb.PNG.019160d23527eff0529e211ce35960ba.PNG

Matching holes in each wing.  Not a good day.   Totaled by insurance company.  

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2017_08_15_archive.html?m=1

Anyone know what happened. The report was "gear collapse" .

8 hours ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Check out the view of the roof after this Mooney E model fell off its jacks.

IMG_0503.thumb.PNG.019160d23527eff0529e211ce35960ba.PNG

Matching holes in each wing.  Not a good day.   Totaled by insurance company.  

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2017_08_15_archive.html?m=1

You'd have to be pretty strong to bench press an E model off your chest.  

As a kid in elementary school a classmate's father was killed in his driveway when his car slipped off a jack stand and crushed him in front of his family.

A lesson which has stuck with me all my life.

Clarence

• 3 weeks later...

How much travel does it take to lift a Mooney for a gear swing? I was going to try to duplicate these jacks but my local store only has the 2 ton version that only goes up 4-5 inches. I am guessing that is not enough.

Also what material did you use to make the extensions?

Gerbil

On 8/5/2017 at 5:34 PM, Mike Ropers said:

Working on vehicles I've always used safety stands, and have worried when using the standard long ram jacks. So I set out to make my own jacks that meet my needs. 

IMG_3702.JPG

IMG_3704.JPG

That clearance should be good - The material is 1/4" wall square tube, I measured from the ground to the jack point (mine was 24" prior to new donuts. 

Used them for my annual and the donut replacement, no issues with instability - in fact the A&P was duly impressed.

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, OR75 said:

Maybe the gear cycling test was performed in California and took too long ....

An acquaintance who used to have M20F was swinging gear for the annual when earthquake happened in Seattle some 15 years ago.

Plane didn’t slip but it could happen!