We

201er

I hear most pilots say "we" on the radios in contact with ATC and have gotten in the habit of doing so myself. For example, "we'll be needing the ILS approach" or "here's a pirep, we are experiencing some light chop..." I realize that in most cases it is coming from two man crews. However, you'll hear plenty of the same from GA airplanes. Some it may be a student + instructor or even perhaps a pilot + passengers. But I hardly ever recall a pilot ever saying "I." Its always "we," which leads me to the conclusion that we is actually referring to "the plane and I."

ATC calls us by N number. They are not calling us by name as individuals but as representatives of that aircraft. "We" is the aircraft that is being referred to plus I as the individual speaking on its behalf

So when the pilot acknowledges ATC with, "we're  encountering a good bit of turbulence but will do our best to maintain this altitude," even if he is the sole occupant, he's referring to the teamwork between himself and his craft. Does anyone else see it this way?

• Like 2

I was in the habit of saying "We" from the time I spent learning to fly with my CFI. Even so, I almost always have someone else in the plane with me. I have made a mental effort a couple times alone to say "I" but it honestly sounded weird so I went back to "We." I like your reasoning Mike, I think I'll use it if anyone ever asks why I say "We" when I'm flying solo. 

39 minutes ago, rbridges said:

When I had surgery for diverticulitis, I remember nurses asking how "we" were doing. I always thought "we" were having very different days. :D  I think it's just habit in a lot of circles. 

"We" in that context was you and your colon  :lol:!

• Like 1